Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Caviliers Are Great Cars
By Donna Jones

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I live on a limited income and can not purchase a brand new car. So, when I got the chance to purchase this car, even though its age was high, I fell in love with it. This car handles good on the road, I love the braking system, and couldn't ask for a more roomier car.

Favorite Features

Handling on curves and its fwd pulling. It is great for going on snow covered roads.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't change a thing about the vehicle. I just hope you keep on producing them in the future.

Somewhat ordinary, but very reliable car
By KLHoffman

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1999 Cavalier in 2000 when it was just over a year old. It's been a very reliable car. We now have 146,000 miles on it and it still gets us where we want to go without any problems. We just replaced the transmission this year at 141k miles, but other than that no major problems in ten years! I find the car somewhat boring to look at and drive, but with reliability like this who can complain!

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, decent sized trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Boring driving experience, seats not too comfortable, slightly low grade interior materials.

Slow but steady wins the race
By single mom

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for over 10 years without any problems. It has 180,000 miles on it and no major repairs. Replaced exhaust due to rust, but I live in the snow belt so lots of road salt. An edging of rust just starting along the bottom of the doors. With Nokia tires I have driven this car thru blizzards and floods. As a single mom, I need reliability. It has never left me stranded. It is a no-frills version, so there were no gadgets to breakdown. Still gets 30 mpg and the interior still looks like new. Seats have been very durable. I don't think you can go wrong buying a used Cavalier if you are looking for basic transportation. This has been the best car!

Favorite Features

Durability, gas mileage, low-cost maintainance, sizeable trunk space, 5- spead manual has been a great transmission, rear window defroster

Suggested Improvements

I had to replace brakes and rotors on a yearly basis. Cup holder is too small for a cup and the second holder is right under your arm when you shift. Major inconvenience for a mom/child who eat a lot of meals on the road.

Cheap ride
By Import Owner

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

We've had our Cavalier for several months, and I've logged a quite a few miles on it. Overall, this is a nice car for costing a few thousand dollars. It's fairly zippy around in town and can get around at freeway speeds just fine with a little coaxing. It works like a tool should, but is not as enjoyable to drive as most other cars I've driven.

Favorite Features

Cheap ride. Great car for getting around in town.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are like torture. Maybe the previous owner wore them out?

Not Bad
By Not bad

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got my 1999 cavalier April first 2002 and I've had the car 4 years now. I got it with 12000 miles and now it has 80000 and I haven't had one problem out of this car except for the ABS system failed, but it's run smooth since I got it. Be careful how you drive it because it can be easy to mess it up. If you want a fast car or a sports car, buy somthing else because this won't last. Take care of it regular maintainace and it can last you a long while. With a few simple parts such as a supercharger and a backcat exhaust system you could get 218hp out of it

Favorite Features

Ice cold A/C, handling,and noisy but peppy 4cyl,

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine would be nice. Alarm should be standard. More interior space. Better sounding stereo