Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Most Helpful|
The best car for the money you can buy
By Odie

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has provided 225,000 trouble free miles. It also provides 35 miles per gallon highway, at turnpike speeds & the A/C on. It's solid & fun to drive.I can't imagine any foreign car being more reliable.

Favorite Features

ride/handling & gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

keep making cars this bulletproof

Freakin sweet
By TyBong

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car off of a friend for 500 bones as a beater car (I hate car loans! never again!) to get to work and back. Got the car at 230,000 miles, now have 245,000 and still runs like a champ! Starts funny, struts are messed up, but still runs great like the first day we signed the title over. I've owned a 2002 camry and got less value off of that than my little cavy. That Toyota was junk, go GM!

Favorite Features

Just keeps going, and going, that's about all you can ask for and expect from this car.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, if you want something better, buy better. You can not expect much out of a cavalier. But surpassed my expectations on reliability like no other.

Chevy Cavalier, only so-so
By CHill

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has had more issues than not. The steering has always made a griding noise when at low speeds, the air conditioner has been broken since the second day after we drove off of the lot, and the cab space is next to nothing. I do not feel safe driving this car. Personally, I do not like it, but for a first car that is only to be owned for a short period, it's ideal. It's cheap, and the price shows it. You'll drop the price of a new car to repair the a/c alone, though, so if comfort is your game you may want to steer clear of this model and year.

Favorite Features

The only thing I like about this car was the sound system. The radio always worked, even when everything else was falling out.

Suggested Improvements

-Air conditioning That's the -big problem- with this car. Nothing is worse than driving in a big city with temperatures in the upper 90's in bumper to bumper traffic, especially when your job requires you to look professional and not like you work construction.

Don't Waste Your Time...
By mikearcure

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in May 2011. I had just gotten into an accident, and I needed a cheap car fast. I liked the design and comfort of the car, but there were WAY too many problems with it. My previous car was a '97 Toyota Corolla and it had no problems whatsoever. A lot of parts broke on this car, and most things that did break broke multiple times. I had to get the starter fixed 3 times. The turn signals started to blink really fast and then stopped working completely 2 times. And the engine was constantly overheating. The heat and air conditioning was also very weak. I ended up getting rid of this car after 1 1/2 years due to it needing a new head gasket. Do NOT bother with this car!!

Favorite Features

Style, comfort, price... that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Basically ALL mechanical parts. Everything under the hood, heating and a/c systems, and the computer. Too much body roll.

Good Buy
By James

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. When I purchased this car it had all original parts except the radio (this was a good sign). The bad news was once I bought it some of the 10 year old parts broke. I had the computer system fail ($300), then the drive pulley ($200) then the slave cylinder broke (the clutch was also replaced since the it is so hard to get to it was worth doing it at the time, $700). Overall the car drives great. With regular oil changes and tune ups I think I'll get another 100k miles out of this car.

Favorite Features

Easy to maintain, repairs aren't expensive

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders