1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Don't Waste Your Time...
By mikearcure on 12/19/12 20:47 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in May 2011. I had just gotten into an accident, and I needed a cheap car fast. I liked the design and comfort of the car, but there were WAY too many problems with it. My previous car was a '97 Toyota Corolla and it had no problems whatsoever. A lot of parts broke on this car, and most things that did break broke multiple times. I had to get the starter fixed 3 times. The turn signals started to blink really fast and then stopped working completely 2 times. And the engine was constantly overheating. The heat and air conditioning was also very weak. I ended up getting rid of this car after 1 1/2 years due to it needing a new head gasket. Do NOT bother with this car!!

Freakin sweet
By TyBong on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car off of a friend for 500 bones as a beater car (I hate car loans! never again!) to get to work and back. Got the car at 230,000 miles, now have 245,000 and still runs like a champ! Starts funny, struts are messed up, but still runs great like the first day we signed the title over. I've owned a 2002 camry and got less value off of that than my little cavy. That Toyota was junk, go GM!

The best car for the money you can buy
By Odie on 01/18/10 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has provided 225,000 trouble free miles. It also provides 35 miles per gallon highway, at turnpike speeds & the A/C on. It's solid & fun to drive.I can't imagine any foreign car being more reliable.

Good Buy
By James on 07/10/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good overall car. When I purchased this car it had all original parts except the radio (this was a good sign). The bad news was once I bought it some of the 10 year old parts broke. I had the computer system fail ($300), then the drive pulley ($200) then the slave cylinder broke (the clutch was also replaced since the it is so hard to get to it was worth doing it at the time, $700). Overall the car drives great. With regular oil changes and tune ups I think I'll get another 100k miles out of this car.

Chevy Cavalier, only so-so
By CHill on 08/02/07 14:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has had more issues than not. The steering has always made a griding noise when at low speeds, the air conditioner has been broken since the second day after we drove off of the lot, and the cab space is next to nothing. I do not feel safe driving this car. Personally, I do not like it, but for a first car that is only to be owned for a short period, it's ideal. It's cheap, and the price shows it. You'll drop the price of a new car to repair the a/c alone, though, so if comfort is your game you may want to steer clear of this model and year.

Great value, reliable
By chet johnson on 03/23/07 11:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My Cav has 154k on it and engine still runs strong. Doesn't burn oil. Original muffler and struts. I live in NH and gas tank rusted but that was it. I also maintained it with hiway mileage. Excellent car for $9800. Gets 33 mpg. No major repairs at all. Just get in and go

Pretty solid car
By satisfied customer on 10/01/05 21:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Awesome car to drive with 0 major problems. Bought used with 102,000 on it and it now has 121,000 on it in less than 6 months. 5 speed transmission still shifts smooth. Only problem has been the brake lights. They shouldn't be integrated with the 4 ways. i have to constantly press forward on the 4ways to keep the brake lights working. Everything works even after being driven hard for the 20K.. Great mileage in city and highway 26/33 respectively. I would buy another

Great Little Car
By cc732 on 04/02/05 05:40 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I am still very pleased with this cars' performance and reliability. It now has nearly 80,000 miles (128,000 kms)and has only needed a right power steering hose replaced. I had the radiator flushed and replaced the transmission fluid at 65,000 mi. (recommended maitenence in Owner's Manual). The original Goodyear tires were replaced at 62,000 mi.(100,000 kms) because the traction in snow and ice was going away. Decent discount tires were purchased and are satisfactory for handling and performance in city and highway driving. The paint and accessories are all still good. A trim piece under the windshield on the dash has developed a minor crack.

Happy with the car
By snowbird on 01/07/05 17:25 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is my second Cavalier. The first one was a lemon. This one has been great. I have 204,900 miles and it is still going strong. The only maintenance is oil, tires and plugs. The mileage is great 29-31 mpg. The only problem with the car is a wind noise that comes through the windshield at high speeds with the right wind direction and high wind speed.

I loved mine!
By JCarter on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just sold mine with 84,000+ miles, only because I need a bigger vehicle for my growing family! No mechanicle problems at all! Had the roter worked on once, but it was because I had to stop so hard and fast in a traffic jam. I did routine maint. on everything, and my car was a dream to own. I loved taking long trips because of fuel econ. and comfort, and would handle speeding fine!