Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Don't Waste Your Time...
By mikearcure

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in May 2011. I had just gotten into an accident, and I needed a cheap car fast. I liked the design and comfort of the car, but there were WAY too many problems with it. My previous car was a '97 Toyota Corolla and it had no problems whatsoever. A lot of parts broke on this car, and most things that did break broke multiple times. I had to get the starter fixed 3 times. The turn signals started to blink really fast and then stopped working completely 2 times. And the engine was constantly overheating. The heat and air conditioning was also very weak. I ended up getting rid of this car after 1 1/2 years due to it needing a new head gasket. Do NOT bother with this car!!

Style, comfort, price... that's about it.

Basically ALL mechanical parts. Everything under the hood, heating and a/c systems, and the computer. Too much body roll.

Good first car.
By runforbeer

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I got my cavalier entering my senior year in high school and had it for a good 4 years. When I first got the car it had some minor repairs that had to be done from the previous owner but once I did that the car gave me almost no trouble. Just minor things here and there. The car never broke down on me while on the road and always started(except one time the starter had to be replaced) If you want reliability I say go with this car.

-Pretty good gas milage -decent sized trunk for a small car

-The front headlights weren't very good and could use improvement. -The clear coating and paint seemed to peele pretty easily off the car from the weather. The car is over 10 years old but still. -Could use a little more HP.

Freakin sweet
By TyBong

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car off of a friend for 500 bones as a beater car (I hate car loans! never again!) to get to work and back. Got the car at 230,000 miles, now have 245,000 and still runs like a champ! Starts funny, struts are messed up, but still runs great like the first day we signed the title over. I've owned a 2002 camry and got less value off of that than my little cavy. That Toyota was junk, go GM!

Just keeps going, and going, that's about all you can ask for and expect from this car.

Nothing, if you want something better, buy better. You can not expect much out of a cavalier. But surpassed my expectations on reliability like no other.

Good little car!
By Nicolek

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 6 years now and I just loved it. I had to replace starter, alternator, battery 2x, struts, and other basic repairs most of which were under warranty at the time. The engine started to burn oil a little over a year ago, but I've never had any major problems. It's got some get up and go and has been pretty reliable. It has 177k on it and now its showing signs of expensive repairs to come. It wears brakes and rotors pretty bad, and now needs new shocks in the rear, and just replaced another strut. It was really great in the beginning, but with age comes problems. Not a bad car for a young person and they are fairly inexpensive.

Fun little car, good engine, reliable.

Gave me some good years.
By Greg

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

But not sad to see it go. Just traded this car in for a new 2010 Mazda3. Honestly, I must have had a runt of the litter, because I have no idea how people are getting ~30 MPG out of this car. I was getting about 19 MPG (combined highway/city) pretty consistently out of it for the last 3-4 years, that's not great. The functional component themselves (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.) held up great over the long haul, but the interior comfort and cosmetics have broken down pretty bad over the life of the car. It was a good car, but it was time for it to go.

Good styling, fairly reliable. not a great engine, but because of the small size it was still fun to drive.

A complete overhaul of the interior to start, and better fuel economy would be great.