1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Don't Waste Your Time...
By mikearcure on 12/19/12 20:47 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in May 2011. I had just gotten into an accident, and I needed a cheap car fast. I liked the design and comfort of the car, but there were WAY too many problems with it. My previous car was a '97 Toyota Corolla and it had no problems whatsoever. A lot of parts broke on this car, and most things that did break broke multiple times. I had to get the starter fixed 3 times. The turn signals started to blink really fast and then stopped working completely 2 times. And the engine was constantly overheating. The heat and air conditioning was also very weak. I ended up getting rid of this car after 1 1/2 years due to it needing a new head gasket. Do NOT bother with this car!!

Good first car.
By runforbeer on 02/29/12 11:17 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I got my cavalier entering my senior year in high school and had it for a good 4 years. When I first got the car it had some minor repairs that had to be done from the previous owner but once I did that the car gave me almost no trouble. Just minor things here and there. The car never broke down on me while on the road and always started(except one time the starter had to be replaced) If you want reliability I say go with this car.

Freakin sweet
By TyBong on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car off of a friend for 500 bones as a beater car (I hate car loans! never again!) to get to work and back. Got the car at 230,000 miles, now have 245,000 and still runs like a champ! Starts funny, struts are messed up, but still runs great like the first day we signed the title over. I've owned a 2002 camry and got less value off of that than my little cavy. That Toyota was junk, go GM!

Good little car!
By Nicolek on 08/20/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 6 years now and I just loved it. I had to replace starter, alternator, battery 2x, struts, and other basic repairs most of which were under warranty at the time. The engine started to burn oil a little over a year ago, but I've never had any major problems. It's got some get up and go and has been pretty reliable. It has 177k on it and now its showing signs of expensive repairs to come. It wears brakes and rotors pretty bad, and now needs new shocks in the rear, and just replaced another strut. It was really great in the beginning, but with age comes problems. Not a bad car for a young person and they are fairly inexpensive.

Gave me some good years.
By Greg on 07/21/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

But not sad to see it go. Just traded this car in for a new 2010 Mazda3. Honestly, I must have had a runt of the litter, because I have no idea how people are getting ~30 MPG out of this car. I was getting about 19 MPG (combined highway/city) pretty consistently out of it for the last 3-4 years, that's not great. The functional component themselves (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.) held up great over the long haul, but the interior comfort and cosmetics have broken down pretty bad over the life of the car. It was a good car, but it was time for it to go.

Garbage
By stan on 06/15/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought a 1999 Chevrolet cavalier z24, total garbage, so many problems, starting from my sunroof, doesn't close all the way to burnt out power window motors and abs light always staying on. The 2.4 L twin cam engine sounds like rocks in a tin can, very disappointed with Chevrolet, will never ever buy American made cars ever again! Imports here I come!

The best car for the money you can buy
By Odie on 01/18/10 13:19 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has provided 225,000 trouble free miles. It also provides 35 miles per gallon highway, at turnpike speeds & the A/C on. It's solid & fun to drive.I can't imagine any foreign car being more reliable.

224,000 miles and just getting started
By snm1220 on 12/19/09 15:07 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I acquired this car from my son after turning my 4 door car over to my children for their family use. I immediately noticed the 35 mpg plus highway gas mileage with the 4 speed automatic transmission. The air is ice cold in the summer & very warm in the winter. Visibility, ride & handling is very good. This car runs all day at highway speed, uses no oil or has any fluid leaks. Replacement parts are inexpensive. This is truly the most reliable, least cost per mile vehicle i've ever owned. At 300,000 miles I may change the transmission fluid for the first time. I can't imagine any foreign vehicle delivering this value.

high mileage review
By snm on 09/06/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I now have 220,000 miles on my 1999 cavalier rally sport. It is still a daily driver with no fluid leaks or problems. It has the original exhaust & fuel deliver systems. The 4 speed automatic works perfectly & the car delivers 33 to 35 MPG routinely. The heat & air conditioning systems are also very good. This vehicle will beat the reliability of any toyota or honda. At 300,000 miles I may treat it to a transmission fluid change.

White 1999 Cavalier-Z24, 2dr. coupe
By Pippy on 03/31/09 16:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier-Z24 new in fall of 1998 (1999 model yr.)and I still own it! It has 52,000 miles on it and runs/looks great! If I could purchase a 2010 Cav.-z24, I'd buy on in a heartbeat! Luv this car, had/have no problems with it this far, everything works fine :) luv this car!

1 2 3 4 5 next »