1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Good first car.
By runforbeer on 02/29/12 11:17 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I got my cavalier entering my senior year in high school and had it for a good 4 years. When I first got the car it had some minor repairs that had to be done from the previous owner but once I did that the car gave me almost no trouble. Just minor things here and there. The car never broke down on me while on the road and always started(except one time the starter had to be replaced) If you want reliability I say go with this car.

Gave me some good years.
By Greg on 07/21/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

But not sad to see it go. Just traded this car in for a new 2010 Mazda3. Honestly, I must have had a runt of the litter, because I have no idea how people are getting ~30 MPG out of this car. I was getting about 19 MPG (combined highway/city) pretty consistently out of it for the last 3-4 years, that's not great. The functional component themselves (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.) held up great over the long haul, but the interior comfort and cosmetics have broken down pretty bad over the life of the car. It was a good car, but it was time for it to go.

224,000 miles and just getting started
By snm1220 on 12/19/09 15:07 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I acquired this car from my son after turning my 4 door car over to my children for their family use. I immediately noticed the 35 mpg plus highway gas mileage with the 4 speed automatic transmission. The air is ice cold in the summer & very warm in the winter. Visibility, ride & handling is very good. This car runs all day at highway speed, uses no oil or has any fluid leaks. Replacement parts are inexpensive. This is truly the most reliable, least cost per mile vehicle i've ever owned. At 300,000 miles I may change the transmission fluid for the first time. I can't imagine any foreign vehicle delivering this value.

high mileage review
By snm on 09/06/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I now have 220,000 miles on my 1999 cavalier rally sport. It is still a daily driver with no fluid leaks or problems. It has the original exhaust & fuel deliver systems. The 4 speed automatic works perfectly & the car delivers 33 to 35 MPG routinely. The heat & air conditioning systems are also very good. This vehicle will beat the reliability of any toyota or honda. At 300,000 miles I may treat it to a transmission fluid change.

By Chevy Cavalier on 06/26/08 18:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased for $3000. So far it's been decent. I had to replace the computer($350), the alternator pulley and belt($200), and the slave cylinder and clutch($740). All the parts were original which means the car was built good I was just unlucky that all the parts lasted as long as they did (10 years). Car runs great now and hopefully I can get another year and 15000 miles before I have to replace anything else on this car.

rally sport
By lore on 07/28/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

car has never given us any problems and for the price its a decent car but lacks power for a so called rally influenced car

A fair car for the price, BUT.
By Chaps Joo on 07/01/05 16:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought a three-year old car. Now it has 65K miles after driving it for 3 years. The gas pedal is reponsive enough since I have been utilizing it at high RPM. The steering is fairly good up to 85 MPH. Comfort? Are you kidding? It is a compact car. I am not sure about its reliability. It had three times of mechanical maintenance except oil, tire & spark plug changes. 1. The engine light kept on due to carbon built inside the engine chamber. I use Octane 87 gas. 2. The alternate became bad. 3. I replaced the whole A/C compressor and related system (costs over $800). I am expecting more repair works sooner or later. If you want a used Cavalier, please think it again.

reliable but plain
By Chris on 12/02/04 16:59 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

When I got this car it already had 80,000 miles on it. That was 18 months ago and I've put on about 50,000 of my own. I think this car will last forever as long a its taken car of. I've had only minor problems with it. It needed a new coolant cap because it was leaking. Also had a rusted coil, but was very cheap to fix. Gets great gas mileage but its a manual shift so that helps. Its much more fun to drive as a stick shift. I just going to drive it till it dies considering how much i have to drive for work each year. The moon roof works great and all the interior features still work too. No problems as of yet.

Good Little Car
By dynomatastic on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my used Cavalier in 2001 with 38,000 and since then have driven it to hell and back (average 22,000/year Total: 102,000 to-date). Hasen't died on me yet! Only major problems was with the ABS which was still covered under warranty. But this car has taken a lickin' and has kept on tickin' (been in 2 fender benders and backed into by SUV's about 4 times). This has been a great second car (not as fun as my '89 Tracer Hatchback :), gets great gas milage, and I hope it will last me another 22,000 miles! *knocks on wood*

solid chevy
By leec on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

it is a very reliable car but for big men like me it a little small overall it is super