Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good first car.
By runforbeer

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I got my cavalier entering my senior year in high school and had it for a good 4 years. When I first got the car it had some minor repairs that had to be done from the previous owner but once I did that the car gave me almost no trouble. Just minor things here and there. The car never broke down on me while on the road and always started(except one time the starter had to be replaced) If you want reliability I say go with this car.

-Pretty good gas milage -decent sized trunk for a small car

-The front headlights weren't very good and could use improvement. -The clear coating and paint seemed to peele pretty easily off the car from the weather. The car is over 10 years old but still. -Could use a little more HP.

Gave me some good years.
By Greg

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

But not sad to see it go. Just traded this car in for a new 2010 Mazda3. Honestly, I must have had a runt of the litter, because I have no idea how people are getting ~30 MPG out of this car. I was getting about 19 MPG (combined highway/city) pretty consistently out of it for the last 3-4 years, that's not great. The functional component themselves (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.) held up great over the long haul, but the interior comfort and cosmetics have broken down pretty bad over the life of the car. It was a good car, but it was time for it to go.

Good styling, fairly reliable. not a great engine, but because of the small size it was still fun to drive.

A complete overhaul of the interior to start, and better fuel economy would be great.

224,000 miles and just getting started
By snm1220

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I acquired this car from my son after turning my 4 door car over to my children for their family use. I immediately noticed the 35 mpg plus highway gas mileage with the 4 speed automatic transmission. The air is ice cold in the summer & very warm in the winter. Visibility, ride & handling is very good. This car runs all day at highway speed, uses no oil or has any fluid leaks. Replacement parts are inexpensive. This is truly the most reliable, least cost per mile vehicle i've ever owned. At 300,000 miles I may change the transmission fluid for the first time. I can't imagine any foreign vehicle delivering this value.

ride, handling, reliability & gas mileage

40 mpg

high mileage review
By snm

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I now have 220,000 miles on my 1999 cavalier rally sport. It is still a daily driver with no fluid leaks or problems. It has the original exhaust & fuel deliver systems. The 4 speed automatic works perfectly & the car delivers 33 to 35 MPG routinely. The heat & air conditioning systems are also very good. This vehicle will beat the reliability of any toyota or honda. At 300,000 miles I may treat it to a transmission fluid change.

Smooth Engine, HVAC Systems, Gas Mileage, Overall Cost Of Operation

Bring back the Cavalier

By Chevy Cavalier

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased for $3000. So far it's been decent. I had to replace the computer($350), the alternator pulley and belt($200), and the slave cylinder and clutch($740). All the parts were original which means the car was built good I was just unlucky that all the parts lasted as long as they did (10 years). Car runs great now and hopefully I can get another year and 15000 miles before I have to replace anything else on this car.

Easy to maintain, good gas mileage. 28 MPG all around.

Bigger backseat, new top dash piece (cracks on all of the Cavaliers)