1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Good little car!
By Nicolek on 08/20/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 6 years now and I just loved it. I had to replace starter, alternator, battery 2x, struts, and other basic repairs most of which were under warranty at the time. The engine started to burn oil a little over a year ago, but I've never had any major problems. It's got some get up and go and has been pretty reliable. It has 177k on it and now its showing signs of expensive repairs to come. It wears brakes and rotors pretty bad, and now needs new shocks in the rear, and just replaced another strut. It was really great in the beginning, but with age comes problems. Not a bad car for a young person and they are fairly inexpensive.

Garbage
By stan on 06/15/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought a 1999 Chevrolet cavalier z24, total garbage, so many problems, starting from my sunroof, doesn't close all the way to burnt out power window motors and abs light always staying on. The 2.4 L twin cam engine sounds like rocks in a tin can, very disappointed with Chevrolet, will never ever buy American made cars ever again! Imports here I come!

White 1999 Cavalier-Z24, 2dr. coupe
By Pippy on 03/31/09 16:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier-Z24 new in fall of 1998 (1999 model yr.)and I still own it! It has 52,000 miles on it and runs/looks great! If I could purchase a 2010 Cav.-z24, I'd buy on in a heartbeat! Luv this car, had/have no problems with it this far, everything works fine :) luv this car!

Great car
By Punkin3785 on 09/09/07 23:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I get awesome gas mileage. This car has a lot of pickup and is always reliable. I couldn't have asked for a better car... only bad thing is, I just foung out that mine didnt come with a lug wrench...and the lugnuts are inverted so you can't use a universal wrench... so I'm searching for one to obtain before i get a flat tire and am up the creek without a paddle.

Decent car for the price
By Jason on 07/18/06 08:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for at least 4 months, put about 3k miles on it, and already I've had to get it into the shop, once for an oil leak, another for the timing-chain valve cover, and guess what? I just found out I have to take it in for repairs that will run me about $915-950. My power window motors are also showing signs of the motor dying. I'd strongly advise any Cavalier Z24 buyers to keep an eye on the engine repeatedly after the purchase.

Very dependable, fun to drive
By jolene putnam on 05/07/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car only because it has a moonroof. I had a '00 Cavalier 4dr and sold it for this one. This car has been very dependable for the daily communite as well as weekend get aways. The only complaint I have is the lack of space in the back for the kids. Luckily they get along pretty good.

Good Car
By Satisfied Driver on 03/20/06 09:25 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used in 2001. Very reliable car except for some of the interior plastic. The car was very low maintenance other than the usual tires and exhaust. The blower motor for heat and a/c died and needed a replacement fuse after 4 yrs. The driver and passenger power window motors also both died. All in all the car was a great buy aside from the little things. I would certainly recommend it as a cheap, sporty little car.

Cracking up over my Chevy
By VBS 1999 on 02/24/06 14:24 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

It is pretty reliable so far EXCEPT for the battery life. My battery died on me within the first 2 years that I had the car. Never left the lights on, just wouldn't start. It happened again 2 year - 2/12 years later. Guess what, on my 3rd battery now and it did it again. Interior is garbage quality and the body is garbage quality. The dashboard piece that meets the windshield cracked for no reason. Dealership never offered to replace the part since the warantee expired. The darn thing started cracking around year 2. Did I mention that the power windows don't work as of 6 months ago? I loved my Z24, alot of great memories, but won't buy another Chevy ever again. Toyota...here I come!!!

If only the engine worked...
By Miss Charlie on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Oh how GM has disappointed me. Bought this brand-new in 99, now has 64k miles. I absolutely adored this car, took great care of it. Without warning it crapped out and voila, it needs a new engine. Needless to say I am not paying for that repair; the money will be better-spent towards something new (and probably foreign). I had no problems up until then except for a warranty-covered sunroof replacement.

Surprisingly good car
By mbzc230 on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I took over the driving duties of this car and let my wife have my Mercedes. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with this car; for its class it is comfortable, quick and quiet. I have restored faith in GM. This car is five years old and has had no need for repair (knock on wood).