Used 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Don't Waste Your Time...
By mikearcure

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in May 2011. I had just gotten into an accident, and I needed a cheap car fast. I liked the design and comfort of the car, but there were WAY too many problems with it. My previous car was a '97 Toyota Corolla and it had no problems whatsoever. A lot of parts broke on this car, and most things that did break broke multiple times. I had to get the starter fixed 3 times. The turn signals started to blink really fast and then stopped working completely 2 times. And the engine was constantly overheating. The heat and air conditioning was also very weak. I ended up getting rid of this car after 1 1/2 years due to it needing a new head gasket. Do NOT bother with this car!!

Favorite Features

Style, comfort, price... that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Basically ALL mechanical parts. Everything under the hood, heating and a/c systems, and the computer. Too much body roll.

The BEST FUN Car I've ever had
By botx

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

My favorite car WAS a '67 GTO convertible but when money got tight, it squeezed me even more for repairs & gas. When replacement parts gave in, then it was time to find something 1/3 the cost. Then in 1999, I found IT. All fun, no misery, reliable, dealer support A++ This is an AUTOMATIC transmission

Favorite Features

Acceleration w/o Corvette tickets One hand top down, even while driving slow - wind driven driving Front bucket seats that could be used for all day workstations Trunk big enough for golf clubs sideways, sailing gear. U-Haul hitch can pull tiny/small trailers/boats Power everything ... the cash offers I get from those that only bought the coupes in that era

Suggested Improvements

Chevy got the run around on OEM batteries but that got resolved Power window motors will need to be replaced if parked outside I would love a second horn option switch, where ON would be like a freight train .. so big trucks would take more notice

Good first car.
By runforbeer

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I got my cavalier entering my senior year in high school and had it for a good 4 years. When I first got the car it had some minor repairs that had to be done from the previous owner but once I did that the car gave me almost no trouble. Just minor things here and there. The car never broke down on me while on the road and always started(except one time the starter had to be replaced) If you want reliability I say go with this car.

Favorite Features

-Pretty good gas milage -decent sized trunk for a small car

Suggested Improvements

-The front headlights weren't very good and could use improvement. -The clear coating and paint seemed to peele pretty easily off the car from the weather. The car is over 10 years old but still. -Could use a little more HP.

Freakin sweet
By TyBong

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought this car off of a friend for 500 bones as a beater car (I hate car loans! never again!) to get to work and back. Got the car at 230,000 miles, now have 245,000 and still runs like a champ! Starts funny, struts are messed up, but still runs great like the first day we signed the title over. I've owned a 2002 camry and got less value off of that than my little cavy. That Toyota was junk, go GM!

Favorite Features

Just keeps going, and going, that's about all you can ask for and expect from this car.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, if you want something better, buy better. You can not expect much out of a cavalier. But surpassed my expectations on reliability like no other.

Mostly reliable for 10 years
By ski

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

Reliable car for ten years, but then the car started overheating when idling even though the thermostat and radiator have been replaced. A small oil leak later occurred at the rear of the engine. An AC hose near the firewall was designed poorly because it created a hole due to rubbing on another part. The side window motor failed. Otherwise no other major parts have been replaced. A previous inspection showed the code for a transmission problem but it works fine. There is no body rust and the original exhaust system is still used. The top is in good shape. Although the body is in good shape, I was hoping to get more mileage out of the car.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include the price, style, metallic paint, and gas mileage =26 mpg.