1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Don't Waste Your Time...
By mikearcure on 12/19/12 20:47 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in May 2011. I had just gotten into an accident, and I needed a cheap car fast. I liked the design and comfort of the car, but there were WAY too many problems with it. My previous car was a '97 Toyota Corolla and it had no problems whatsoever. A lot of parts broke on this car, and most things that did break broke multiple times. I had to get the starter fixed 3 times. The turn signals started to blink really fast and then stopped working completely 2 times. And the engine was constantly overheating. The heat and air conditioning was also very weak. I ended up getting rid of this car after 1 1/2 years due to it needing a new head gasket. Do NOT bother with this car!!

The BEST FUN Car I've ever had
By botx on 06/14/12 15:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

My favorite car WAS a '67 GTO convertible but when money got tight, it squeezed me even more for repairs & gas. When replacement parts gave in, then it was time to find something 1/3 the cost. Then in 1999, I found IT. All fun, no misery, reliable, dealer support A++ This is an AUTOMATIC transmission

Good first car.
By runforbeer on 02/29/12 11:17 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I got my cavalier entering my senior year in high school and had it for a good 4 years. When I first got the car it had some minor repairs that had to be done from the previous owner but once I did that the car gave me almost no trouble. Just minor things here and there. The car never broke down on me while on the road and always started(except one time the starter had to be replaced) If you want reliability I say go with this car.

Freakin sweet
By TyBong on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought this car off of a friend for 500 bones as a beater car (I hate car loans! never again!) to get to work and back. Got the car at 230,000 miles, now have 245,000 and still runs like a champ! Starts funny, struts are messed up, but still runs great like the first day we signed the title over. I've owned a 2002 camry and got less value off of that than my little cavy. That Toyota was junk, go GM!

Mostly reliable for 10 years
By ski on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

Reliable car for ten years, but then the car started overheating when idling even though the thermostat and radiator have been replaced. A small oil leak later occurred at the rear of the engine. An AC hose near the firewall was designed poorly because it created a hole due to rubbing on another part. The side window motor failed. Otherwise no other major parts have been replaced. A previous inspection showed the code for a transmission problem but it works fine. There is no body rust and the original exhaust system is still used. The top is in good shape. Although the body is in good shape, I was hoping to get more mileage out of the car.

Great ride up east coast!
By Rottie81 on 09/01/10 06:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I just got my Mom's 1999 LS 4 door sedan from my Mom who had to stop driving. She has 106,000 mi on it. I drove it from Sarasota FL to Boston Ma with no problems at all. It was comfortable and handled well on the highway. It isn't so great on bumpy roads in the city but all in all it's a great car and I would seriously think about getting another Chevy in the future. The exterior is perfect but the interior near the windshield cracked and is falling off so needs to be replaced. Also the cup holders are a joke. But I did enjoy the drive home trying to beat Hurricane Earl!

Good little car!
By Nicolek on 08/20/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 6 years now and I just loved it. I had to replace starter, alternator, battery 2x, struts, and other basic repairs most of which were under warranty at the time. The engine started to burn oil a little over a year ago, but I've never had any major problems. It's got some get up and go and has been pretty reliable. It has 177k on it and now its showing signs of expensive repairs to come. It wears brakes and rotors pretty bad, and now needs new shocks in the rear, and just replaced another strut. It was really great in the beginning, but with age comes problems. Not a bad car for a young person and they are fairly inexpensive.

Gave me some good years.
By Greg on 07/21/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

But not sad to see it go. Just traded this car in for a new 2010 Mazda3. Honestly, I must have had a runt of the litter, because I have no idea how people are getting ~30 MPG out of this car. I was getting about 19 MPG (combined highway/city) pretty consistently out of it for the last 3-4 years, that's not great. The functional component themselves (engine, transmission, brakes, etc.) held up great over the long haul, but the interior comfort and cosmetics have broken down pretty bad over the life of the car. It was a good car, but it was time for it to go.

Garbage
By stan on 06/15/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought a 1999 Chevrolet cavalier z24, total garbage, so many problems, starting from my sunroof, doesn't close all the way to burnt out power window motors and abs light always staying on. The 2.4 L twin cam engine sounds like rocks in a tin can, very disappointed with Chevrolet, will never ever buy American made cars ever again! Imports here I come!

Caviliers Are Great Cars
By Donna Jones on 02/14/10 09:37 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I live on a limited income and can not purchase a brand new car. So, when I got the chance to purchase this car, even though its age was high, I fell in love with it. This car handles good on the road, I love the braking system, and couldn't ask for a more roomier car.