Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

First Car
By Kaitlyn

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Alright, so my first car was a little more expensive than what most teens got at my school. However, it was definitely worth the investment compared to the "junkers" my friends bought. I've only had one thing go wrong with my little Cavalier, and that was due to a poor mechanic. Not only that, but my little car was able to plow its way down the road on snowy Michigan roads that had sometimes a foot of snow.

I love the wild colors available (mine is teal) and how cheap it is to repair the car compared to other foreign brands.

For the money, the car really can't be beat. The only things that seem to go wrong in general are the wiper motors going out and the flap under the car is almost guaranteed to rip off.

I've had worse
By tcrews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

My wife had this car when we got married. We've had to do some motor work (2.4 ltr.), but it has 197,000 miles. What gets me are the comments from mechanics when I take it in. Every mechanic that sees it says, "Oh great!" and tries to pawn it off on one of the other mechanics to work on. They tell me the motor's a pain to work on and was known for overheating. I drive it 150 miles a day bare minimum. Still getting 28 miles to the gallon. Very uncomfortable. Best fix for the road and motor noise is a louder stereo. Was going to trade it in for a different car but nobody wanted it.

Fuel mileage, traction control. Still big enough for my daughter's car seat, and ABS.

Too late. I have a feeling this was an allright car in 98.

I love my Chevy
By Jules

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 Cavalier brand new, in September of 1998. I have driven this car 124,000+ miles. It has taken me all over the east coast, with no issues. This car is very reliable. I have replaced, tires, brakes, and battery, and just had to get new rear struts 6 months ago. No other repairs have ever been needed other then an occasional factory recall. Right now I have Toyo tires on it, and it drives better then ever. The only complaint that I have is that my family has outgrown it, and I am now looking to buy something bigger.

Alloy wheels, power sun roof, 5-speed

The cup holders are not deep enough, and the drivers seat belt tightens up on occasion.

Good car, especially for the money
By Ray

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this vehicle for 7 years and am sad to finally depart from it. This car has travelled the southeastern US with almost no problems other than a window motor! Excellent car for the money!!! After 113,000 miles the only problem was the window motor and the paint. The engine is a true workhorse!

Acceleration, cost, and reliability.

Window motors can be improved and paint quality needs improvement

Driving till the wheels fall off
By Scottyd

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I now have 206,000 miles on my Cavalier and it is still running like a champ! I still get roughly 33 mpg and I don't ever use any oil. The only major repairs were that I replaced the front brakes and rotors twice, and both front bearings twice, but it has never let me down. Great Car!

None