1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews 6

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
MY chevy
By kimoea on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

My car is very fun to drive. I think it should have had a different spoiler desing.Other than that it is a great car. I put my own sound system in it and it "ROCKS"

Good, cheap fun
By RBTaylor on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

This is my first convertible and my first Chevy, and I love it. Some people complain about the engine noise from inside the car; I think it's got a great purr. Not too loud, but not dead silent like a Honda. Acceleration is great for a four-banger with a four speed auto, and handling is smooth. The ride is nice, but still sporty, allowing you to feel the road. Riding up front with the top down, it's remarkably quiet and not too windy. I replaced the factory stereo with a Rockford, which sounds great even with the original speakers. I've driven from Utah to California and back a couple of times and never had a problem. Just a fun car!

Pretty good 5yr old buy.
By josamas on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought the car used (I would never have bought it new, 16.5k to high), the car was a steal at $3,300(thanks GM for your high deprec. rate). After five years the car still performs well for it's kind and I would highly recomend it to someone bargain hunting for a compact car but want something that looks, and perform good or a teen going off to college, use the money you save on your college tuition instead of using it on a lousy car note for an over priced automobile.

Too much money spent to keep car running
By Joerell on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 Chevrolet cavalier rs, which now have 90k. This car has been the worst. My brakes went 3 times in a year and a half, which didnt come cheap. at 81,000 mile my gasket went, at 89,000 my alternator went, now at 90k it in the shop because of its transmission. After a while the trunk wouldnt close so i had to get new lock parts for it as well as the drivers door. It seems like the car is in the shop more than on the road. For a student or a 1st time buyer this was the worst car, in the future i would stay away from american cars. My mom have a Subaru Legacy Out., which have well over 100k,the only expensive thing she paid for was brakes.

Great little car!
By REVBOO on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

The best part about this car is the maintenence costs. I've owned it since new and have never had to spend anything on repairs. I'm just now starting to spend on normal items that wear out (tires, brakes, etc.). The only thing that has been replaced on it is the stereo. The CD player quite working while under warranty.

Great Car
By Jen's Car on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for almost six years, it's fun, has great acceleration and will drive for over 400 miles on a tank of gas. The five speed transmission is great for passing cars. The resale value once I paid it off (60 months) wasn't very good, which is why I am trying to drive it for as long as possible. I would definitely not buy another one NEW, or finance another one for that long.

I hate this pieace of crap car..
By dymondeyz23 on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

i have had to replace basically everything on this car.. and it only now has 60,000 miles... i also ended up having to replace the engine.. i don't recomend this car... i have never had so many problems w/ a car until i bought this one.. car has been in the shop since the 1month i bought it... replaced... major electrical cords, fuel pump, belts, computer sensors, dents easy, head gasket, overheats, motor barrings... etc...

be good to it and it will be good to you
By b76 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

bought this car used and has been great so far except for sunroof coming off track once. Easy fix if you have or know anyone with knowledge in that area.

The cheapest car ever built...
By cavalierssuck on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 Cavalier last fall for $5,200. It sounded like a bargain at the time. My family has always had Chevy cars and trucks so I figured it would be a good car. WRONG. The first week I had it, the spark plug wiring needed to be replaced because it would sputter like crazy. Three weeks later it needed a new clutch (yes I am a very good manual driver). Almost every morning in the winter it wouldnt start, and if it did start it ran bad. 3,000 bucks later it still runs like garbage. VERY CHEAP CAR DONT BUY IT!!

Great Car for the Money
By Good Car on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

We bought the Cavalier LS new in 1998 and have been very pleased with its performance. There have never been any reliability issues and it surprises us how it always starts with the first crank even when being left out in the cold Wisconsin winters over night. The gas mileage is about 30 HWY and has lots of acceleration. No beefs for the money spent and now it is practically paying for itself.