Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Very good car
By anderson

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Cavalier new 10 years ago. This has been a great car. Very reliable. The only money I have put into it is basic maintenance and exhaust. I have 170,000 miles on it and I am still on the original engine, original tranny and this car leaves no fluid stains on my garage floor. I have been so happy with this car. My only complaint with this car is that that traction is not that great in the winter even with new tires. They spin very easy even on a snow packed road. It's like the car is too light. Overall this car has been a great purchase for me.

Trunk space with fold down back seat, gas mileage (about 30MPG HWY), very low maintenance costs,

Better bottom door seams, started to rust a few years ago. More comfy seats, and put a transmission fluid stick in it so it is easy to check the tranny fluid!

Great car, great price
By P

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car and has served me very well over the last 10 years. I use it exclusively for driving to work and put very few miles on it. For the most part no complaints. The battery post corroded from the inside after 10 years, can't beat that. CD broke after 9, but radio still works fine. Driver's window motor and A/C stopped working after 8 years. The A/C is something under the dash that is way too much to spend on a 10 year old car and the window motor, switch and relay has been replaced numerous times and it still doesn't work. Car always starts and still get 27 mpg average after 10 years. Great pick up for a 4 cyl. Most reliable car I've ever had.

Reliability, pick up and mpg can't be beat!

I should have gotten a longer warranty!

Fun to drive, great on gas, unbeaten!
By bigbird91

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

We purchased our 1998 Cavalier Z-24 coupe (2.2, 5 speed manual, the car had an engine change after previous owner blew the engine using NOS). Even with the smaller engine, this car is very fast, it's a piece of cake to do a burnout. It has been very reliable, it has about 150,000 miles on it now. It gets great gas mileage (about 38 to the gallon if my dad drives, about 30 if I drive, but I'm 16 and like to punch it.) Over all, this car is great, handles way better than the non Z-24 version, and looks great.

Manual transmimssion, CD player is loud

Make the power windows faster, less squeaking in the dashboard.

Cavi
By lbc

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I got my car at 80,000 miles and now its at 100,000. I love her. I had to replace the power steering pump once. And theres rust eating at the bottom of my car but I love how I have never seen my check engine light. This car has been perfect.

Most people say the interior is boring and plain but I love it. It is perfect for me. I got a system put in it so I love to bump my music. Always

Continue making a 6 cyl Cavalier

Buyer Beware
By Mad_Max86

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in the summer. Drove great during the test drive and ride home. Bought it with 123,000 miles on it. I have only put 3,000 miles on it, and a rough 3,000 at that. Two days after I bought it, a brake line burst. $150 to replace, two weeks later it needed a new belt tensioner, $350. Now it needs new struts, and the compressor is shot, about $1,000 to fix. Car looks good because it has a body kit, but my mechanic informed me that this car had been in a major accident and needed to be scrapped. I enjoyed driving it while it lasted. enough room for 3 people in the back, and a nice trunk. Nice sounding pickup, decent speed, good comfort, but it does have good handling

Good handling, can fit 3 plus the driver. nice sounding pickup and is a pretty good gas saver.

Cavalier's have a bad headgasket problem, and they need to be replaced sometime between 50,000-100,000. that means a lot of money. more reliable parts would be nice, and the resale value makes you want to shoot yourself.