Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Fun to drive, great on gas, unbeaten!
By bigbird91

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

We purchased our 1998 Cavalier Z-24 coupe (2.2, 5 speed manual, the car had an engine change after previous owner blew the engine using NOS). Even with the smaller engine, this car is very fast, it's a piece of cake to do a burnout. It has been very reliable, it has about 150,000 miles on it now. It gets great gas mileage (about 38 to the gallon if my dad drives, about 30 if I drive, but I'm 16 and like to punch it.) Over all, this car is great, handles way better than the non Z-24 version, and looks great.

Manual transmimssion, CD player is loud

Make the power windows faster, less squeaking in the dashboard.

Cavi
By lbc

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I got my car at 80,000 miles and now its at 100,000. I love her. I had to replace the power steering pump once. And theres rust eating at the bottom of my car but I love how I have never seen my check engine light. This car has been perfect.

Most people say the interior is boring and plain but I love it. It is perfect for me. I got a system put in it so I love to bump my music. Always

Continue making a 6 cyl Cavalier

Buyer Beware
By Mad_Max86

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in the summer. Drove great during the test drive and ride home. Bought it with 123,000 miles on it. I have only put 3,000 miles on it, and a rough 3,000 at that. Two days after I bought it, a brake line burst. $150 to replace, two weeks later it needed a new belt tensioner, $350. Now it needs new struts, and the compressor is shot, about $1,000 to fix. Car looks good because it has a body kit, but my mechanic informed me that this car had been in a major accident and needed to be scrapped. I enjoyed driving it while it lasted. enough room for 3 people in the back, and a nice trunk. Nice sounding pickup, decent speed, good comfort, but it does have good handling

Good handling, can fit 3 plus the driver. nice sounding pickup and is a pretty good gas saver.

Cavalier's have a bad headgasket problem, and they need to be replaced sometime between 50,000-100,000. that means a lot of money. more reliable parts would be nice, and the resale value makes you want to shoot yourself.

Not fancy but good value
By Dan

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Not a fancy car but great value. 65k miles and only replaced starter (03), alternator (07), 2 tires (06), brakes (06), and AC (06) so far. For the price I paid it's great.

Cheap and basic but roomy inside for a compact car.

It's noisy on the highways

Love it
By blondie

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 2 years ago and wanted a cheap but yet nice sporty looking car and when I saw this one I knew it was the one! I haven't had any problems with it besides very minor knock on wood. It's a good little car and you can add the fun tall lights and tint the windows and let me tell you its a looker!

Body style! Alloy rims

Windshield wipers should be a recall