Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Very good car
By anderson

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Cavalier new 10 years ago. This has been a great car. Very reliable. The only money I have put into it is basic maintenance and exhaust. I have 170,000 miles on it and I am still on the original engine, original tranny and this car leaves no fluid stains on my garage floor. I have been so happy with this car. My only complaint with this car is that that traction is not that great in the winter even with new tires. They spin very easy even on a snow packed road. It's like the car is too light. Overall this car has been a great purchase for me.

Trunk space with fold down back seat, gas mileage (about 30MPG HWY), very low maintenance costs,

Better bottom door seams, started to rust a few years ago. More comfy seats, and put a transmission fluid stick in it so it is easy to check the tranny fluid!

Not fancy but good value
By Dan

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Not a fancy car but great value. 65k miles and only replaced starter (03), alternator (07), 2 tires (06), brakes (06), and AC (06) so far. For the price I paid it's great.

Cheap and basic but roomy inside for a compact car.

It's noisy on the highways

Great car
By nick

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I had two recalls. That is good in my book. This car is great on fuel and cheap to run. Overall it's a great car. Even at 270,000 km it's running great.

The paint. The look overall

A better seam on the bottom of the doors. A little rust starting

First Car
By Kaitlyn

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Alright, so my first car was a little more expensive than what most teens got at my school. However, it was definitely worth the investment compared to the "junkers" my friends bought. I've only had one thing go wrong with my little Cavalier, and that was due to a poor mechanic. Not only that, but my little car was able to plow its way down the road on snowy Michigan roads that had sometimes a foot of snow.

I love the wild colors available (mine is teal) and how cheap it is to repair the car compared to other foreign brands.

For the money, the car really can't be beat. The only things that seem to go wrong in general are the wiper motors going out and the flap under the car is almost guaranteed to rip off.

I've had worse
By tcrews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My wife had this car when we got married. We've had to do some motor work (2.4 ltr.), but it has 197,000 miles. What gets me are the comments from mechanics when I take it in. Every mechanic that sees it says, "Oh great!" and tries to pawn it off on one of the other mechanics to work on. They tell me the motor's a pain to work on and was known for overheating. I drive it 150 miles a day bare minimum. Still getting 28 miles to the gallon. Very uncomfortable. Best fix for the road and motor noise is a louder stereo. Was going to trade it in for a different car but nobody wanted it.

Fuel mileage, traction control. Still big enough for my daughter's car seat, and ABS.

Too late. I have a feeling this was an allright car in 98.