Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Love my Z!
By SHVD98Z24

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 23000 miles on it and it now has 41000 miles on it....6 years later....I know...I only drive it 3000 miles a year but it's a blast. I have done bodywork and stereo systems, lowered it, big rims, you name it. The stock parts hold up well. It isn't like the foreign cars where you have to upgrade 2 other things to upgrade one. The engine is strong...as strong as any non turbo foreign motor. The only problems I have ever had are electrical and thats from adding stuff on. The ignition system is pretty complicated in these cars.

Smooth flowing body and lines....has a heavy feel...I had a 95 Saturn SC1 before this car and it felt like a feather on the road....like wind would blow it away. When you sit behing the wheel of this car....you feel like you are in something solid. Great value!

Window motors do weaken quickly over time......electrical system is pretty complicated!

I love my Chevy
By Jules

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 Cavalier brand new, in September of 1998. I have driven this car 124,000+ miles. It has taken me all over the east coast, with no issues. This car is very reliable. I have replaced, tires, brakes, and battery, and just had to get new rear struts 6 months ago. No other repairs have ever been needed other then an occasional factory recall. Right now I have Toyo tires on it, and it drives better then ever. The only complaint that I have is that my family has outgrown it, and I am now looking to buy something bigger.

Alloy wheels, power sun roof, 5-speed

The cup holders are not deep enough, and the drivers seat belt tightens up on occasion.

Good car, especially for the money
By Ray

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this vehicle for 7 years and am sad to finally depart from it. This car has travelled the southeastern US with almost no problems other than a window motor! Excellent car for the money!!! After 113,000 miles the only problem was the window motor and the paint. The engine is a true workhorse!

Acceleration, cost, and reliability.

Window motors can be improved and paint quality needs improvement

Driving till the wheels fall off
By Scottyd

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I now have 206,000 miles on my Cavalier and it is still running like a champ! I still get roughly 33 mpg and I don't ever use any oil. The only major repairs were that I replaced the front brakes and rotors twice, and both front bearings twice, but it has never let me down. Great Car!

None

My Worst Nightmare
By Spikez0740

After trading in my Grand Am for this
this car I realized a mistake I had
made. Bought with 71,000 miles it was
a steal for $5000. 10k later I spent
1/2 that to replace control arms, a
new tranny, ball joints and bushings.
The problems just kept going downhill,
misc. repairs such as power window
motor, sunroof motor, a/c sompressor
and some electrical work for the
headlights. after all that i would be
a fool to get rid of it. Now with
138,000 it needs a new exhaust and
thats about it.

great gas mileage, somewhat good acceleration.

spend money for a warrenty....