1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great car
By nick on 04/23/07 21:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I had two recalls. That is good in my book. This car is great on fuel and cheap to run. Overall it's a great car. Even at 270,000 km it's running great.

Cavalier is a worthy car to own one.
By Road Runner 2000 on 09/16/06 06:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Driving control and stability is excellent, especially on highways, comparing to the car in the same segment such as Civic, Corolla and Focus. Surprisingly, it's even better than Camary and Accord of the same year model. The acceleration is very impressive even though equipped with a shy horsepower engine. However, the engine is torquey. That compensates for the car's weight quite well. Fuel consumption is outstanding on highways and resonable in town. Car's appearance is handsome, and roomier than the like ones. C-Pillar looks very beautiful. I like this the best.

A sad goodbye
By Kristina on 06/01/06 15:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Convertible

I bought my convertible new in 1998. I love this car. I have owned this car for 8 years. My car had 140,000 miles at the time of its death. My car was totaled by a full size Explorer (and the car took the hit). My Cavalier was the best car I ever owned. It never gave me any real problems except for the AC went out once but it was an easy fix. I am sad to see this car go.

Can't beat it!
By johnny-boy on 05/09/06 18:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I've put 100,580 miles on this jewel and never had to think about it quitting. I drive a car hard and this one just keeps on goin'. New brakes once, new rear struts once. The 2.2 liter engine is more than I exspected. I'll cruise at 70-75 all day and just relax and listen to the radio.

Love my Z!
By SHVD98Z24 on 02/15/06 23:51 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 23000 miles on it and it now has 41000 miles on it....6 years later....I know...I only drive it 3000 miles a year but it's a blast. I have done bodywork and stereo systems, lowered it, big rims, you name it. The stock parts hold up well. It isn't like the foreign cars where you have to upgrade 2 other things to upgrade one. The engine is strong...as strong as any non turbo foreign motor. The only problems I have ever had are electrical and thats from adding stuff on. The ignition system is pretty complicated in these cars.

First Car
By Kaitlyn on 08/09/05 16:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Alright, so my first car was a little more expensive than what most teens got at my school. However, it was definitely worth the investment compared to the "junkers" my friends bought. I've only had one thing go wrong with my little Cavalier, and that was due to a poor mechanic. Not only that, but my little car was able to plow its way down the road on snowy Michigan roads that had sometimes a foot of snow.

I've had worse
By tcrews on 06/08/05 10:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

My wife had this car when we got married. We've had to do some motor work (2.4 ltr.), but it has 197,000 miles. What gets me are the comments from mechanics when I take it in. Every mechanic that sees it says, "Oh great!" and tries to pawn it off on one of the other mechanics to work on. They tell me the motor's a pain to work on and was known for overheating. I drive it 150 miles a day bare minimum. Still getting 28 miles to the gallon. Very uncomfortable. Best fix for the road and motor noise is a louder stereo. Was going to trade it in for a different car but nobody wanted it.

I love my Chevy
By Jules on 05/25/05 12:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 Cavalier brand new, in September of 1998. I have driven this car 124,000+ miles. It has taken me all over the east coast, with no issues. This car is very reliable. I have replaced, tires, brakes, and battery, and just had to get new rear struts 6 months ago. No other repairs have ever been needed other then an occasional factory recall. Right now I have Toyo tires on it, and it drives better then ever. The only complaint that I have is that my family has outgrown it, and I am now looking to buy something bigger.

Good car, especially for the money
By Ray on 05/02/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this vehicle for 7 years and am sad to finally depart from it. This car has travelled the southeastern US with almost no problems other than a window motor! Excellent car for the money!!! After 113,000 miles the only problem was the window motor and the paint. The engine is a true workhorse!

Driving till the wheels fall off
By Scottyd on 03/31/05 10:14 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I now have 206,000 miles on my Cavalier and it is still running like a champ! I still get roughly 33 mpg and I don't ever use any oil. The only major repairs were that I replaced the front brakes and rotors twice, and both front bearings twice, but it has never let me down. Great Car!