Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Cavi
By lbc

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got my car at 80,000 miles and now its at 100,000. I love her. I had to replace the power steering pump once. And theres rust eating at the bottom of my car but I love how I have never seen my check engine light. This car has been perfect.

Favorite Features

Most people say the interior is boring and plain but I love it. It is perfect for me. I got a system put in it so I love to bump my music. Always

Suggested Improvements

Continue making a 6 cyl Cavalier

Buyer Beware
By Mad_Max86

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in the summer. Drove great during the test drive and ride home. Bought it with 123,000 miles on it. I have only put 3,000 miles on it, and a rough 3,000 at that. Two days after I bought it, a brake line burst. $150 to replace, two weeks later it needed a new belt tensioner, $350. Now it needs new struts, and the compressor is shot, about $1,000 to fix. Car looks good because it has a body kit, but my mechanic informed me that this car had been in a major accident and needed to be scrapped. I enjoyed driving it while it lasted. enough room for 3 people in the back, and a nice trunk. Nice sounding pickup, decent speed, good comfort, but it does have good handling

Favorite Features

Good handling, can fit 3 plus the driver. nice sounding pickup and is a pretty good gas saver.

Suggested Improvements

Cavalier's have a bad headgasket problem, and they need to be replaced sometime between 50,000-100,000. that means a lot of money. more reliable parts would be nice, and the resale value makes you want to shoot yourself.

Love it
By blondie

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 2 years ago and wanted a cheap but yet nice sporty looking car and when I saw this one I knew it was the one! I haven't had any problems with it besides very minor knock on wood. It's a good little car and you can add the fun tall lights and tint the windows and let me tell you its a looker!

Favorite Features

Body style! Alloy rims

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wipers should be a recall

Cavalier is a worthy car to own one.
By Road Runner 2000

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Driving control and stability is excellent, especially on highways, comparing to the car in the same segment such as Civic, Corolla and Focus. Surprisingly, it's even better than Camary and Accord of the same year model. The acceleration is very impressive even though equipped with a shy horsepower engine. However, the engine is torquey. That compensates for the car's weight quite well. Fuel consumption is outstanding on highways and resonable in town. Car's appearance is handsome, and roomier than the like ones. C-Pillar looks very beautiful. I like this the best.

Favorite Features

C-pillars. Acceleration, driving stability and manuvering. Seat comfort. Roomy cabin. Storage net in the trunk, and folding back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the car's weight. Lower the ground clearance. Split folding back seat. Everthing else is good.

Can't beat it!
By johnny-boy

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I've put 100,580 miles on this jewel and never had to think about it quitting. I drive a car hard and this one just keeps on goin'. New brakes once, new rear struts once. The 2.2 liter engine is more than I exspected. I'll cruise at 70-75 all day and just relax and listen to the radio.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine runs smooth and will pass another car with not much effort.

Suggested Improvements

More A/C vents for rear compartment, larger fuel tank.