Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Best car I ever owned
By libra26

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was the most reliable car I ever had in my life. I never had to put anything major into this car in the 6 yrs I owned it. Absolutely the best and I loved it. I wish they still made the cavalier. I owned 2. I tried to get another used one but they were hard to find. I'm sorry I didn't keep it until it had major problems. I only got rid of it because I was scared of the mileage 110,000 and it needed a new coolant system put in it. I missed having air conditioning too. I didn't want to put any money into it. I was afraid having an 11 yrs old car was risky. I got great mileage. I never not once had it not start for me in 6 yrs. That's pretty amazing.

Favorite Features

It didn't have any special features nothing fancy came on it. I loved the color Canjun Red.

Suggested Improvements

More features would have been nice. My only complaint was the air conditioning went after I had it 4 yrs. I never had a new one put in.

The litte car that could.
By anthony farmer

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got my 1998 Chevy cavalier from my parents and love it. I am currenty still going to school and working and loving the car. This car is the best on gas mileage and a really good car. My car now has 222,076 miles on it and all I have ever done to it is regular maintenance except there was a little time period when it was overheating bad but it turned out it was my fan. I got it fixed and it runs like a top. My advice to anyone is if you can get one of these little boogers its best that you do cause it will save you so much money in the long run. By the way mine is the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder there the best.

Favorite Features

The 5speed transmission and the outside looks of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Make them have just a little more leg room for the people with long legs like myself

Brought back from the brink of death
By Beverly Noble

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

My husband to be and I bought this vehicle from my mother who did no maintenance on it whatsoever. We have literally rebuilt this car and it runs like a lean mean fighting machine with over 276,000 on it and we will go a full one million on it before we both die of old age. Chevrolet Cav's are built to take a licking and keep on ticking hopefully not like a bomb.

good car
By bernz1

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I no longer own this car, but I really have to write a good review. First car I ever financed. I owned the car for 7 years, put a ton of miles on it. Very reliable. Only problem I had was with the alternator. I owned a second generation cavalier previously and the same problem. I had the alternator replaced 3 times in a 2 month period, but after that was no problem. Unfortunately left me stranded each time, but a cheap fix and the only problem I ever had with the car. Very reliable otherwise. Good handling and fun to drive. I would recommend this car to anyone, if you get one still in good shape.

Favorite Features

decent look, reliability, cheap and eays to fix, good on gas

Good car
By fully1977

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Just took 2 kids and a car-load of stuff on a 150 mile one-way trip; 74mph; and still got 35.8mpg! "Only" got 30mpg on the return, but that included 3 days of stop & go driving to work.

Favorite Features

Looks pretty good.

Suggested Improvements

Door sills starting to rust. Blower motor resistor out (again).