1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Cavi
By lbc on 05/08/08 17:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got my car at 80,000 miles and now its at 100,000. I love her. I had to replace the power steering pump once. And theres rust eating at the bottom of my car but I love how I have never seen my check engine light. This car has been perfect.

Buyer Beware
By Mad_Max86 on 12/28/07 15:34 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in the summer. Drove great during the test drive and ride home. Bought it with 123,000 miles on it. I have only put 3,000 miles on it, and a rough 3,000 at that. Two days after I bought it, a brake line burst. $150 to replace, two weeks later it needed a new belt tensioner, $350. Now it needs new struts, and the compressor is shot, about $1,000 to fix. Car looks good because it has a body kit, but my mechanic informed me that this car had been in a major accident and needed to be scrapped. I enjoyed driving it while it lasted. enough room for 3 people in the back, and a nice trunk. Nice sounding pickup, decent speed, good comfort, but it does have good handling

Love it
By blondie on 04/28/07 08:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 2 years ago and wanted a cheap but yet nice sporty looking car and when I saw this one I knew it was the one! I haven't had any problems with it besides very minor knock on wood. It's a good little car and you can add the fun tall lights and tint the windows and let me tell you its a looker!

Cavalier is a worthy car to own one.
By Road Runner 2000 on 09/16/06 06:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Driving control and stability is excellent, especially on highways, comparing to the car in the same segment such as Civic, Corolla and Focus. Surprisingly, it's even better than Camary and Accord of the same year model. The acceleration is very impressive even though equipped with a shy horsepower engine. However, the engine is torquey. That compensates for the car's weight quite well. Fuel consumption is outstanding on highways and resonable in town. Car's appearance is handsome, and roomier than the like ones. C-Pillar looks very beautiful. I like this the best.

Can't beat it!
By johnny-boy on 05/09/06 18:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I've put 100,580 miles on this jewel and never had to think about it quitting. I drive a car hard and this one just keeps on goin'. New brakes once, new rear struts once. The 2.2 liter engine is more than I exspected. I'll cruise at 70-75 all day and just relax and listen to the radio.

Love my Z!
By SHVD98Z24 on 02/15/06 23:51 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 23000 miles on it and it now has 41000 miles on it....6 years later....I know...I only drive it 3000 miles a year but it's a blast. I have done bodywork and stereo systems, lowered it, big rims, you name it. The stock parts hold up well. It isn't like the foreign cars where you have to upgrade 2 other things to upgrade one. The engine is strong...as strong as any non turbo foreign motor. The only problems I have ever had are electrical and thats from adding stuff on. The ignition system is pretty complicated in these cars.

I love my Chevy
By Jules on 05/25/05 12:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 Cavalier brand new, in September of 1998. I have driven this car 124,000+ miles. It has taken me all over the east coast, with no issues. This car is very reliable. I have replaced, tires, brakes, and battery, and just had to get new rear struts 6 months ago. No other repairs have ever been needed other then an occasional factory recall. Right now I have Toyo tires on it, and it drives better then ever. The only complaint that I have is that my family has outgrown it, and I am now looking to buy something bigger.

Good car, especially for the money
By Ray on 05/02/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this vehicle for 7 years and am sad to finally depart from it. This car has travelled the southeastern US with almost no problems other than a window motor! Excellent car for the money!!! After 113,000 miles the only problem was the window motor and the paint. The engine is a true workhorse!

Driving till the wheels fall off
By Scottyd on 03/31/05 10:14 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I now have 206,000 miles on my Cavalier and it is still running like a champ! I still get roughly 33 mpg and I don't ever use any oil. The only major repairs were that I replaced the front brakes and rotors twice, and both front bearings twice, but it has never let me down. Great Car!

My Worst Nightmare
By Spikez0740 on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

After trading in my Grand Am for this this car I realized a mistake I had made. Bought with 71,000 miles it was a steal for $5000. 10k later I spent 1/2 that to replace control arms, a new tranny, ball joints and bushings. The problems just kept going downhill, misc. repairs such as power window motor, sunroof motor, a/c sompressor and some electrical work for the headlights. after all that i would be a fool to get rid of it. Now with 138,000 it needs a new exhaust and thats about it.