1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
98 cavilier 4dr
By Joe on 06/10/10 22:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have recently come to own a cavalier. Now I'm no stranger to understanding a good car from a bad one, and this one is certainly on the downer list. I can respectfully say deigned interior well, decent on gas. But lacks in power and suspension is weak. Car wasn't abused too badly but will look to get rid of this horrible lil car as soon as possible. I do not recommend this car to anyone. These cars were designed poorly. For a 4 dr it should have more power so that when you do have passengers it doesn't sound like the engine has to work so hard. Driver and maybe one passenger, that's it.

Great Car
By Joe B. on 05/02/10 05:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this brand new back in 1998. This was actually my very first new car. After all these years, there has been minor fixes to it, great on gas, and reliable compared to other cars I've owned. To date, this car has over 106,000 miles and still drives on the highway the same way it did when I bought it. The only issues I've had with the car are after all these years, the paint is a beginning to discolor, but it is not that noticeable. The body and inside is still in great shape. In the past, it had sustained some good number of impacts. The gas is great compared to other cars. I highly recommend this car to anyone who wants to own a great and reliable car.

reliable
By pb on 12/21/09 14:28 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 10 years and I'm sitting at 200000 miles and no major repairs yet. I wish all chevys were this reliable.

Best car I ever owned
By libra26 on 09/05/09 17:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was the most reliable car I ever had in my life. I never had to put anything major into this car in the 6 yrs I owned it. Absolutely the best and I loved it. I wish they still made the cavalier. I owned 2. I tried to get another used one but they were hard to find. I'm sorry I didn't keep it until it had major problems. I only got rid of it because I was scared of the mileage 110,000 and it needed a new coolant system put in it. I missed having air conditioning too. I didn't want to put any money into it. I was afraid having an 11 yrs old car was risky. I got great mileage. I never not once had it not start for me in 6 yrs. That's pretty amazing.

The litte car that could.
By anthony farmer on 08/14/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got my 1998 Chevy cavalier from my parents and love it. I am currenty still going to school and working and loving the car. This car is the best on gas mileage and a really good car. My car now has 222,076 miles on it and all I have ever done to it is regular maintenance except there was a little time period when it was overheating bad but it turned out it was my fan. I got it fixed and it runs like a top. My advice to anyone is if you can get one of these little boogers its best that you do cause it will save you so much money in the long run. By the way mine is the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder there the best.

Brought back from the brink of death
By Beverly Noble on 08/09/09 20:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

My husband to be and I bought this vehicle from my mother who did no maintenance on it whatsoever. We have literally rebuilt this car and it runs like a lean mean fighting machine with over 276,000 on it and we will go a full one million on it before we both die of old age. Chevrolet Cav's are built to take a licking and keep on ticking hopefully not like a bomb.

good car
By bernz1 on 08/08/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I no longer own this car, but I really have to write a good review. First car I ever financed. I owned the car for 7 years, put a ton of miles on it. Very reliable. Only problem I had was with the alternator. I owned a second generation cavalier previously and the same problem. I had the alternator replaced 3 times in a 2 month period, but after that was no problem. Unfortunately left me stranded each time, but a cheap fix and the only problem I ever had with the car. Very reliable otherwise. Good handling and fun to drive. I would recommend this car to anyone, if you get one still in good shape.

Glad I bought it
By BC on 02/14/09 19:25 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Traded it in today after just shy of 11 years. Over 128,000 miles an it was the most reliable car I ever owned. I didn't lose sleep over $4/gal gas because this baby got over 30mpg. My biggest complaint was that the brakes and rotors generally only lasted 25-30k miles. The exhaust tended to be the next biggest issue but I don't think I ever had to replace the catalytic converter or the expensive pipe that came off of it. Pipe was rusted through when I traded it though. I didn't wash the car much and the only rust was near the bottom of the doors and I live in upstate NY where they love to salt the roads. 5 speed manual was fun to drive. Climate control fan had to be on 3 (of 4) to blow by year 3.

Left me stranded
By jimmy on 12/20/08 20:51 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 34,000 miles. Drove great filled up once every 2 weeks. Great on gas. However the gauges didn't indicate when there was a problem with the engine. The water pump wasnt connected properly. Long story short. Headgasket blew as well as the engine. Get it inspected after you buy it.

Good job on this one Chevy!
By Big Pine Man on 08/25/08 23:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been very satisfied with my 1998 Cavalier. I have about 180000 miles and have had no major troubles. My only big repair has been a water pump. Otherwise just basic maintenance. The car does seem to go through brake pads sooner than other cars I've owned. This car leaves no fliud stains on my garage floor. Overall this car has been a great cheap car to own and drive. My only real complaint about this car is driving it in the winter. Even with good tires it seems to spin alot and the low trax light always comes on. Also the anti lock brakes appear to engage very easily on packed snow roads. This car has not costed me much money though and that is huge. Im happy with the reliability