1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
After 13 yrs, it is still going
By opitmus01co on 09/06/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1997. I have had no problems with it what so ever. I has currently 159,000 miles on it. It is good in snow, and handles well. This is my 4th cavalier, as we go back to 1984 when I bought the wagon version. I wish they still made a wagon. Hubby and I have both owned one each. I am in the market for a new car, and I will give this one to the kids to drive. It will last a while longer.

Great Used Car!
By DSFan4Life on 04/14/10 18:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used a little over 2 years ago & I am a lot happier than I thought I would be with it. It does great on the highway when you need to pass people. It gets ~30 mpg regularly. It does amazingly well in snow for a small car. And it does well in grass too. I would definitely recommend if you don't need a huge car.

Good car
By fully1977 on 06/19/09 14:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Just took 2 kids and a car-load of stuff on a 150 mile one-way trip; 74mph; and still got 35.8mpg! "Only" got 30mpg on the return, but that included 3 days of stop & go driving to work.

Pretty good for first car
By Jonathan O on 04/28/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this 2 weeks before I graduated. It had some problems with fuel injectors, and throttle body. After I got that fixed it has been fine ever since.

Great car
By nick on 04/23/07 21:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I had two recalls. That is good in my book. This car is great on fuel and cheap to run. Overall it's a great car. Even at 270,000 km it's running great.

I've had worse
By tcrews on 06/08/05 10:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My wife had this car when we got married. We've had to do some motor work (2.4 ltr.), but it has 197,000 miles. What gets me are the comments from mechanics when I take it in. Every mechanic that sees it says, "Oh great!" and tries to pawn it off on one of the other mechanics to work on. They tell me the motor's a pain to work on and was known for overheating. I drive it 150 miles a day bare minimum. Still getting 28 miles to the gallon. Very uncomfortable. Best fix for the road and motor noise is a louder stereo. Was going to trade it in for a different car but nobody wanted it.

Get the LS, upgraded engine
By MNB on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Could be a great compact to get really, really cheap because it depreciates like crazy. Find 1) an LS, big improvements over STD, 2) an upgraded engine. I have the better engine, and it makes the car much better to drive, accelerate, etc. Makes the Neon & Corolla feel like a Big Wheel in comparison. I find it pretty comfortable, but some people don't. Tires were good in the winter, haven't had to replace. A few of these cars were lemons (read other reviews) so be sure to get maintenance records from the seller. Up to 40K, I've only replaced the brakes. But you could get a pretty solid car with this one. My car is only worth $5K, that's a steal.

A very reliable Chevy--'98 Cavalier
By matjag on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has had moderate to heavy usage since its purchase in December, 1997. It seems virtually indestructible in that it has required only oil changes, brake work, and new tires in the past 6.5 years. Very quick (2.4 litre engine) for a compact vehicle making it a joy to drive. The only drawback is its very low profile. At times it appears that kids on tricycles can reach down and touch the roof of the vehicle. The motor is still very quiet and smooth despite the 85,000 miles of Houston city driving. With minor supportive vehicle repairs, I see no reason why it cannot attain 150,000 -- 200,000 miles. This is the best automotive bargain I've received.

Great Car for the Money
By Good Car on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

We bought the Cavalier LS new in 1998 and have been very pleased with its performance. There have never been any reliability issues and it surprises us how it always starts with the first crank even when being left out in the cold Wisconsin winters over night. The gas mileage is about 30 HWY and has lots of acceleration. No beefs for the money spent and now it is practically paying for itself.

Not exciting, but reliable
By yeti on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This is my second Cavelier, bought new in 1997. For both of them, the engines held up extrememly well as I piled on the miles, but they were not particularly exciting to drive. In hindsight, I should have plunked down the money for a Honda Civic for not much difference in price and gotten a little better milage and better long term reliability and resale value.