1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
They just don't die!
By ahnalia on 02/12/14 04:51 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 z-24 cavalier with 101k "highway" miles on it in 2003. I have NEVER regretted the purchase. I have only had to have 1 major repair done on it (housing case) in 11 years. Mine has been through a lot. It has been stolen, and they hot rodded it and tore it up externally pretty bad, but it still runs. I let maintenence on it slip pretty bad over the years, and it still runs. No matter what punishment this car has been dished out, it just does not stop running. It also has some real "get up and go" when needed.

Great Car, Worst Buying Time
By Litestorm17 on 01/21/10 22:57 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 in December of 07' with 78000 miles on it. I loved the car, but exactly 364 days after I bought it (roughly 90k miles at the time) the entire computer system failed. The dealership has yet to figure out what caused it. It cost me well over $2k to fix. Also, the radiator randomly blew out on me. That was roughly $200. Mine burns oil, but not much. Don't let this rough patch deter you away though. I bought it with all of the wearable stuff at the end of it's lifespan, so now that everything is fixed it works like a dream. It is a great car if you travel long distances like I do. Put an aftermarket short-ram intake, and you can get close to 40 mpg!

Great car, great price
By P on 05/30/08 16:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car and has served me very well over the last 10 years. I use it exclusively for driving to work and put very few miles on it. For the most part no complaints. The battery post corroded from the inside after 10 years, can't beat that. CD broke after 9, but radio still works fine. Driver's window motor and A/C stopped working after 8 years. The A/C is something under the dash that is way too much to spend on a 10 year old car and the window motor, switch and relay has been replaced numerous times and it still doesn't work. Car always starts and still get 27 mpg average after 10 years. Great pick up for a 4 cyl. Most reliable car I've ever had.

Fun to drive, great on gas, unbeaten!
By bigbird91 on 05/26/08 21:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

We purchased our 1998 Cavalier Z-24 coupe (2.2, 5 speed manual, the car had an engine change after previous owner blew the engine using NOS). Even with the smaller engine, this car is very fast, it's a piece of cake to do a burnout. It has been very reliable, it has about 150,000 miles on it now. It gets great gas mileage (about 38 to the gallon if my dad drives, about 30 if I drive, but I'm 16 and like to punch it.) Over all, this car is great, handles way better than the non Z-24 version, and looks great.

Buyer Beware
By Mad_Max86 on 12/28/07 15:34 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in the summer. Drove great during the test drive and ride home. Bought it with 123,000 miles on it. I have only put 3,000 miles on it, and a rough 3,000 at that. Two days after I bought it, a brake line burst. $150 to replace, two weeks later it needed a new belt tensioner, $350. Now it needs new struts, and the compressor is shot, about $1,000 to fix. Car looks good because it has a body kit, but my mechanic informed me that this car had been in a major accident and needed to be scrapped. I enjoyed driving it while it lasted. enough room for 3 people in the back, and a nice trunk. Nice sounding pickup, decent speed, good comfort, but it does have good handling

Love it
By blondie on 04/28/07 08:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 2 years ago and wanted a cheap but yet nice sporty looking car and when I saw this one I knew it was the one! I haven't had any problems with it besides very minor knock on wood. It's a good little car and you can add the fun tall lights and tint the windows and let me tell you its a looker!

Love my Z!
By SHVD98Z24 on 02/15/06 23:51 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 23000 miles on it and it now has 41000 miles on it....6 years later....I know...I only drive it 3000 miles a year but it's a blast. I have done bodywork and stereo systems, lowered it, big rims, you name it. The stock parts hold up well. It isn't like the foreign cars where you have to upgrade 2 other things to upgrade one. The engine is strong...as strong as any non turbo foreign motor. The only problems I have ever had are electrical and thats from adding stuff on. The ignition system is pretty complicated in these cars.

Good car, especially for the money
By Ray on 05/02/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this vehicle for 7 years and am sad to finally depart from it. This car has travelled the southeastern US with almost no problems other than a window motor! Excellent car for the money!!! After 113,000 miles the only problem was the window motor and the paint. The engine is a true workhorse!

My Worst Nightmare
By Spikez0740 on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

After trading in my Grand Am for this this car I realized a mistake I had made. Bought with 71,000 miles it was a steal for $5000. 10k later I spent 1/2 that to replace control arms, a new tranny, ball joints and bushings. The problems just kept going downhill, misc. repairs such as power window motor, sunroof motor, a/c sompressor and some electrical work for the headlights. after all that i would be a fool to get rid of it. Now with 138,000 it needs a new exhaust and thats about it.

I love my Z24
By jjz24 on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car for almost 7 years now and I love it as much as the day I bought it. I've had absolutely no problems with it. Wonderful vehicle!