Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

They just don't die!
By ahnalia

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 z-24 cavalier with 101k "highway" miles on it in 2003. I have NEVER regretted the purchase. I have only had to have 1 major repair done on it (housing case) in 11 years. Mine has been through a lot. It has been stolen, and they hot rodded it and tore it up externally pretty bad, but it still runs. I let maintenence on it slip pretty bad over the years, and it still runs. No matter what punishment this car has been dished out, it just does not stop running. It also has some real "get up and go" when needed.

Favorite Features

Coupe has nice body design.

Great Car, Worst Buying Time
By Litestorm17

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 in December of 07' with 78000 miles on it. I loved the car, but exactly 364 days after I bought it (roughly 90k miles at the time) the entire computer system failed. The dealership has yet to figure out what caused it. It cost me well over $2k to fix. Also, the radiator randomly blew out on me. That was roughly $200. Mine burns oil, but not much. Don't let this rough patch deter you away though. I bought it with all of the wearable stuff at the end of it's lifespan, so now that everything is fixed it works like a dream. It is a great car if you travel long distances like I do. Put an aftermarket short-ram intake, and you can get close to 40 mpg!

Favorite Features

Highly customizable, Z24 model really stands apart from the others, engine is kind of quick when you ask it to, comfortable seats for long trips, fuel-sipper,

Suggested Improvements

150hp out of a 2.4L?! Come on! Better paint bonding, , better computer placement (instead of under the passenger wheel well), slightly stiffer shocks, replaceable transmission fluid, hasn't happened to me but the 2.4L DOHC engine burns oil pretty easy so check your oil often

Great car, great price
By P

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car and has served me very well over the last 10 years. I use it exclusively for driving to work and put very few miles on it. For the most part no complaints. The battery post corroded from the inside after 10 years, can't beat that. CD broke after 9, but radio still works fine. Driver's window motor and A/C stopped working after 8 years. The A/C is something under the dash that is way too much to spend on a 10 year old car and the window motor, switch and relay has been replaced numerous times and it still doesn't work. Car always starts and still get 27 mpg average after 10 years. Great pick up for a 4 cyl. Most reliable car I've ever had.

Favorite Features

Reliability, pick up and mpg can't be beat!

Suggested Improvements

I should have gotten a longer warranty!

Fun to drive, great on gas, unbeaten!
By bigbird91

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

We purchased our 1998 Cavalier Z-24 coupe (2.2, 5 speed manual, the car had an engine change after previous owner blew the engine using NOS). Even with the smaller engine, this car is very fast, it's a piece of cake to do a burnout. It has been very reliable, it has about 150,000 miles on it now. It gets great gas mileage (about 38 to the gallon if my dad drives, about 30 if I drive, but I'm 16 and like to punch it.) Over all, this car is great, handles way better than the non Z-24 version, and looks great.

Favorite Features

Manual transmimssion, CD player is loud

Suggested Improvements

Make the power windows faster, less squeaking in the dashboard.

Buyer Beware
By Mad_Max86

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in the summer. Drove great during the test drive and ride home. Bought it with 123,000 miles on it. I have only put 3,000 miles on it, and a rough 3,000 at that. Two days after I bought it, a brake line burst. $150 to replace, two weeks later it needed a new belt tensioner, $350. Now it needs new struts, and the compressor is shot, about $1,000 to fix. Car looks good because it has a body kit, but my mechanic informed me that this car had been in a major accident and needed to be scrapped. I enjoyed driving it while it lasted. enough room for 3 people in the back, and a nice trunk. Nice sounding pickup, decent speed, good comfort, but it does have good handling

Favorite Features

Good handling, can fit 3 plus the driver. nice sounding pickup and is a pretty good gas saver.

Suggested Improvements

Cavalier's have a bad headgasket problem, and they need to be replaced sometime between 50,000-100,000. that means a lot of money. more reliable parts would be nice, and the resale value makes you want to shoot yourself.