Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible

Z24 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (6 reviews )

A sad goodbye
By Kristina

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible Z24 2dr Convertible

I bought my convertible new in 1998. I love this car. I have owned this car for 8 years. My car had 140,000 miles at the time of its death. My car was totaled by a full size Explorer (and the car took the hit). My Cavalier was the best car I ever owned. It never gave me any real problems except for the AC went out once but it was an easy fix. I am sad to see this car go.

Favorite Features

The speed of the 4cylinder is so fast. Cruising with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Good, cheap fun
By RBTaylor

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible Z24 2dr Convertible

This is my first convertible and my first Chevy, and I love it. Some people complain about the engine noise from inside the car; I think it's got a great purr. Not too loud, but not dead silent like a Honda. Acceleration is great for a four-banger with a four speed auto, and handling is smooth. The ride is nice, but still sporty, allowing you to feel the road. Riding up front with the top down, it's remarkably quiet and not too windy. I replaced the factory stereo with a Rockford, which sounds great even with the original speakers. I've driven from Utah to California and back a couple of times and never had a problem. Just a fun car!

Favorite Features

2.4 liter; fold down rear seat; auto window buttons on center console (just like the old stingrays). Z-24 front bumper spoiler w/ fog lamps is much better looking than the standard bumper.

Suggested Improvements

rear windows should go up and down independent of the top.

Sexy little car
By CarLA98

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible Z24 2dr Convertible

The problems I have had with this car are minor. I had a window rattle in the door which the dealership fixed, I had to replace the brakes after 30,000. The sound system is good, but don't try to crank it up too much. The one big problem I have had with this car is the cigarette lighter. For some reason, using it to charge my cell phone caused an electrical short which at various times caused the horn not to work or the roof not to go up or down. By and large I am very happy with this car. I like the way it looks, it can comfortably seat five "normal" sized people, and with the back seat folding down I have a lot of versatility in transporting things.

Favorite Features

The lumbar support in the driver's side is a great feature! The interior is roomy for a small convertible

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problem with the lighter, and move the buttons for the windows to the doors (they are on the center console). Also make the rear windows go up and down independantly of the roof.

The Best Car Ever Is A Cavalier Z24 Conv
By Chris Fontana

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible Z24 2dr Convertible

The Cavalier Z24 is the best car for the money I have experienced no problems and everyone who says it is bad probably were not taking care of the car or they are bad to their cars all together. The five speed manual transmission is very fast and has great sound. Even with the convertible top down still has a quiet ride. The 2.4L twin cam engine is fast and is great for tuning for an American "Fast And Furiouse" car.

Favorite Features

2.4L twin cam engine Everything cant say enough things.

Suggested Improvements

none the best it can be

Watch out for the exploding windows
By Stacia Allen

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible Z24 2dr Convertible

This has got to be the worst possible car ever. I've had the driver's window and the rear window explode so far. No one was around - nothing hit the windows. Just exploded while I was driving. The coolant light comes on everytime I make a sharp left hand turn. My windows leak like crazy whenever it rains. I've had it into the dealership 3 times regarding this matter. They told me to roll the window up first then shut the door to help it seal - still doesn't help.I could tell you for hours the things that are wrong. This is just some of the big stuff. Only some of it-I haven't even got started.

Favorite Features

Great Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Destroy Car and Start Over!!!!!!!