1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1998 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Sort Reviews by

Best car I ever owned
By Kelli

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier in 2004. It now has over 200,000 miles on it and it still drives like I just bought it! It is by far the best car I have ever owned. I would never buy any other kind of car . Go Chevy!

Favorite Features

Performance!

Can't beat it!
By johnny-boy

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I've put 100,580 miles on this jewel and never had to think about it quitting. I drive a car hard and this one just keeps on goin'. New brakes once, new rear struts once. The 2.2 liter engine is more than I exspected. I'll cruise at 70-75 all day and just relax and listen to the radio.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine runs smooth and will pass another car with not much effort.

Suggested Improvements

More A/C vents for rear compartment, larger fuel tank.

I love my Chevy
By Jules

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 Cavalier brand new, in September of 1998. I have driven this car 124,000+ miles. It has taken me all over the east coast, with no issues. This car is very reliable. I have replaced, tires, brakes, and battery, and just had to get new rear struts 6 months ago. No other repairs have ever been needed other then an occasional factory recall. Right now I have Toyo tires on it, and it drives better then ever. The only complaint that I have is that my family has outgrown it, and I am now looking to buy something bigger.

Favorite Features

Alloy wheels, power sun roof, 5-speed

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are not deep enough, and the drivers seat belt tightens up on occasion.

Too much money spent to keep car running
By Joerell

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 Chevrolet cavalier rs, which now have 90k. This car has been the worst. My brakes went 3 times in a year and a half, which didnt come cheap. at 81,000 mile my gasket went, at 89,000 my alternator went, now at 90k it in the shop because of its transmission. After a while the trunk wouldnt close so i had to get new lock parts for it as well as the drivers door. It seems like the car is in the shop more than on the road. For a student or a 1st time buyer this was the worst car, in the future i would stay away from american cars. My mom have a Subaru Legacy Out., which have well over 100k,the only expensive thing she paid for was brakes.

Favorite Features

Traction control (ABS)

Suggested Improvements

seats,and interior design. the cavaler is soon to be droped and replaced by a car called the Cabalt in 2005

Great little car!
By REVBOO

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

The best part about this car is the maintenence costs. I've owned it since new and have never had to spend anything on repairs. I'm just now starting to spend on normal items that wear out (tires, brakes, etc.). The only thing that has been replaced on it is the stereo. The CD player quite working while under warranty.

Favorite Features

I really like the exterior styling, especially after I added a rear spoiler. I like the fact that the passanger seat slides forward further than most cars. I, also, like the lay- out of the dash.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better stereo. Would like to see the drivers seat slide forward like the passanger seat. Nicer wheels would be good, too.

1998 Chevy Cavalier..pretty good car
By Erika

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I've had my car close to 3 years...I would recommend this to anyone for a first car...Cavaliers must in general be good cars...i mean they keep making them year after year...through the years...i replaced the battery, tires, ignition switch, and serpintine belt...usual oil changes, and transmission change, brakes were put on also...but in my opinion these were typical maintenance jobs within a 3 year time...

Favorite Features

the car is very quiet, dependable, nice radio...and very roomy for a small car....sporty looking...i owned a Dodge Neon...and this car is 10 times better as far as dependability and power...

Suggested Improvements

i noticed that when i replaced the factory battery...the car seemed to have so much more power..i wonder if a new factory battery would help this car? softer seats would be another improvement...not too many complaints though...

Cavalier RS
By Ecavalier17

Great car...Kicks the crap out of my friends Impreza 2.5 automatic. haha

Favorite Features

Easy stearing. Good turning radius. Great fuel milage.

Suggested Improvements

Higher horsepower. Better 0-60 time

Cav
By Spick

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

It has gotten me through it all; rain, sleet, snow. And has not died on me yet.

Favorite Features

Cruise control and standard transmisson

Suggested Improvements

more powerful engine

Not Good!
By Shanna

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I have had my cavalier for almost three years and i've put more than 2 thousand dollars into it in a matter of a year. Something is always going wrong and it only starts up when it wants to. There is however nothing wrong with the car i have had it looked at several times. I wouldn't recommend purchasing any cavalier to anyone!

Favorite Features

Power sun roof

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING!!!!!

Cavalier
By ChazH

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This car is small and quicker than I expected. It is a five speed, which makes the fuel economy even higher. I usually get 480mpg. There is alot of aftermarket items avaliable which makes it easy to up the performance. I would highly recomend this car to anyone.