Used 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Most Helpful|
reliable
By pb

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 10 years and I'm sitting at 200000 miles and no major repairs yet. I wish all chevys were this reliable.

Great Car
By Joe B.

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I bought this brand new back in 1998. This was actually my very first new car. After all these years, there has been minor fixes to it, great on gas, and reliable compared to other cars I've owned. To date, this car has over 106,000 miles and still drives on the highway the same way it did when I bought it. The only issues I've had with the car are after all these years, the paint is a beginning to discolor, but it is not that noticeable. The body and inside is still in great shape. In the past, it had sustained some good number of impacts. The gas is great compared to other cars. I highly recommend this car to anyone who wants to own a great and reliable car.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, stylish look

Suggested Improvements

extended paint life that will last for over 12 years or more.

The litte car that could.
By anthony farmer

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I got my 1998 Chevy cavalier from my parents and love it. I am currenty still going to school and working and loving the car. This car is the best on gas mileage and a really good car. My car now has 222,076 miles on it and all I have ever done to it is regular maintenance except there was a little time period when it was overheating bad but it turned out it was my fan. I got it fixed and it runs like a top. My advice to anyone is if you can get one of these little boogers its best that you do cause it will save you so much money in the long run. By the way mine is the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder there the best.

Favorite Features

The 5speed transmission and the outside looks of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Make them have just a little more leg room for the people with long legs like myself

98 cavilier 4dr
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have recently come to own a cavalier. Now I'm no stranger to understanding a good car from a bad one, and this one is certainly on the downer list. I can respectfully say deigned interior well, decent on gas. But lacks in power and suspension is weak. Car wasn't abused too badly but will look to get rid of this horrible lil car as soon as possible. I do not recommend this car to anyone. These cars were designed poorly. For a 4 dr it should have more power so that when you do have passengers it doesn't sound like the engine has to work so hard. Driver and maybe one passenger, that's it.

Favorite Features

decent gas miles,

Suggested Improvements

serious designing issues. suspension is weak from the factory, and not much thought was put into design. don't recommend such a car to anyone.

Best car I ever owned
By libra26

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

This was the most reliable car I ever had in my life. I never had to put anything major into this car in the 6 yrs I owned it. Absolutely the best and I loved it. I wish they still made the cavalier. I owned 2. I tried to get another used one but they were hard to find. I'm sorry I didn't keep it until it had major problems. I only got rid of it because I was scared of the mileage 110,000 and it needed a new coolant system put in it. I missed having air conditioning too. I didn't want to put any money into it. I was afraid having an 11 yrs old car was risky. I got great mileage. I never not once had it not start for me in 6 yrs. That's pretty amazing.

Favorite Features

It didn't have any special features nothing fancy came on it. I loved the color Canjun Red.

Suggested Improvements

More features would have been nice. My only complaint was the air conditioning went after I had it 4 yrs. I never had a new one put in.