1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
They just don't die!
By ahnalia on 02/12/14 04:51 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 z-24 cavalier with 101k "highway" miles on it in 2003. I have NEVER regretted the purchase. I have only had to have 1 major repair done on it (housing case) in 11 years. Mine has been through a lot. It has been stolen, and they hot rodded it and tore it up externally pretty bad, but it still runs. I let maintenence on it slip pretty bad over the years, and it still runs. No matter what punishment this car has been dished out, it just does not stop running. It also has some real "get up and go" when needed.

Amazing!!!
By rush_2112 on 03/10/11 14:47 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Cavalier for about 6 months now and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The Vehicle was a trade in at the dealership I work at. I have always wanted a Cavalier so I inspected it and test drove it right away. It had 119,000 miles on it and the only problem I noticed was it was leaking antifreeze very fast so I new it wasn't the head gasket. I decided to purchase the Cavalier knowing I could replace the water pump myself for $15.00 with lifetime warranty! After I fixed the water pump I have never had a single problem with the vehicle. I drive it everyday to work, pleasure and trips and it has never let me down. People writing bad reveiws don't know how to take care of cars.

After 13 yrs, it is still going
By opitmus01co on 09/06/10 18:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1997. I have had no problems with it what so ever. I has currently 159,000 miles on it. It is good in snow, and handles well. This is my 4th cavalier, as we go back to 1984 when I bought the wagon version. I wish they still made a wagon. Hubby and I have both owned one each. I am in the market for a new car, and I will give this one to the kids to drive. It will last a while longer.

Blown mind
By jim on 09/01/10 17:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car from a friend. Car has seen better days with the scratches and typical rust. But after about 154,000 miles engine seized. Good cars I just found a bad one in the six I have owned.

The Catfish of cars (they just don't die)
By Jolex on 07/29/10 18:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

They say that cars are a liability not an investment, but my 1998 Cavalier proved that statement wrong! I bought mine brand new and drove it for 13 years. It still runs and the only thing I ever really needed to do was regular maintenance. It's been through a lot and if anyone says that a Chevy is no good then there is no way that they have ever truly owned one. I would recommend a Chevy to anyone. It was worth every penny and it showed that American made cars are at the top of the list with foreign competition. I loved my car and my faith in Chevy will never be diminished.

98 cavilier 4dr
By Joe on 06/10/10 22:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have recently come to own a cavalier. Now I'm no stranger to understanding a good car from a bad one, and this one is certainly on the downer list. I can respectfully say deigned interior well, decent on gas. But lacks in power and suspension is weak. Car wasn't abused too badly but will look to get rid of this horrible lil car as soon as possible. I do not recommend this car to anyone. These cars were designed poorly. For a 4 dr it should have more power so that when you do have passengers it doesn't sound like the engine has to work so hard. Driver and maybe one passenger, that's it.

Great Car
By Joe B. on 05/02/10 05:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I bought this brand new back in 1998. This was actually my very first new car. After all these years, there has been minor fixes to it, great on gas, and reliable compared to other cars I've owned. To date, this car has over 106,000 miles and still drives on the highway the same way it did when I bought it. The only issues I've had with the car are after all these years, the paint is a beginning to discolor, but it is not that noticeable. The body and inside is still in great shape. In the past, it had sustained some good number of impacts. The gas is great compared to other cars. I highly recommend this car to anyone who wants to own a great and reliable car.

Great Used Car!
By DSFan4Life on 04/14/10 18:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used a little over 2 years ago & I am a lot happier than I thought I would be with it. It does great on the highway when you need to pass people. It gets ~30 mpg regularly. It does amazingly well in snow for a small car. And it does well in grass too. I would definitely recommend if you don't need a huge car.

Great Car, Worst Buying Time
By Litestorm17 on 01/21/10 22:57 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 in December of 07' with 78000 miles on it. I loved the car, but exactly 364 days after I bought it (roughly 90k miles at the time) the entire computer system failed. The dealership has yet to figure out what caused it. It cost me well over $2k to fix. Also, the radiator randomly blew out on me. That was roughly $200. Mine burns oil, but not much. Don't let this rough patch deter you away though. I bought it with all of the wearable stuff at the end of it's lifespan, so now that everything is fixed it works like a dream. It is a great car if you travel long distances like I do. Put an aftermarket short-ram intake, and you can get close to 40 mpg!

reliable
By pb on 12/21/09 14:28 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 10 years and I'm sitting at 200000 miles and no major repairs yet. I wish all chevys were this reliable.