1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Perfect for College
By Polo121518 on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This car is perfect for college, great gas miliage, makes a drive a breez, and for not having a lot of money it looks sleek, has peep , I wouldnt recomend the stadard version goes with this one , it just looks sweet

Fun car... they just keep getting better
By modelboy on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

Mine hasn't had any problems that I didn't create. I had to replace the clutch since I taught someone how to drive on it. The engine has so much unlocked potential that you just can't get from any other car in this class. My certified mechanic brother that works on funny cars and top fuel dragsters loves to help me make it faster by doing this or that since he agrees that Chevy makes by far the best engines out of anyone. FYI I have been able to push out 250 hp out of the 2.2 engine naturally aspirated, so imagine what the 2.4-liter will do when we swap it out and supercharge it! We're going for 1000!

Cavalier is a great car
By TBCass on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

After 6 years this car is as good as new. New breaks at 34000 miles is the only money outside of normal mantainance I've put in to the car.with the 2.4 liter engine it has all kinds of power and still gets 30 mpg. The finish is nearly as good as brand new. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Still running strong...
By mrmcderm on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I have had this car almost 6 years, and have put 85k on it (mostly highway) and it still runs well. I had A LOT of problems with the coolant system when it was new (1 year old). Was in the shop 7+ times in 3 mos. Eventually filed and won a lemon law suit against GM. Since then, no problems. Seats are falling apart (moldings and adjustments) and has a lot of dings...i just hope it keeps running.

My review
By MM2107 on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had the car for over five years and never had problem until this month. The water pump went on the car. It is a big job for do-it-yourselfer or an expensive job at the shop. Other than that the car has ran perfect with regular maintenance for 110,000 miles. Everything still operates in and out of the car. Performance wise it is a speedy little four banger with good acceleration and no problems at cruising speeds on the highway.

What a lemon!
By mad cavi owner on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

This car has turned out to be such a lemon! Within the first 18 months the steering rack had to be replaced. It needed a new clutch after 50k miles and now at just after 60k the head gasket needs to be replaced! Oh yes, and the windshield wipers have decided that the new off position is straight up. Yikes! Steer clear of this one my friends!

Love my Z
By INANE on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I've had my Z24 for a little over 4 years now, bought it when it was one year old. I had traded in my 89 Berreta GTU for it (a car that doubled it value from all the work I had to do to it). I like the design's of GM products but I know that most of what they made from the 80s and early 90s were junk from a reliablity standpoint so I cautiously purchased the Z24 with an extended warrenty. I guess its good to say I only had to use it once, had to replace the water pump, otherwise this car has been near perfect to me (has 71k miles now).

Remember the price
By Big Jim on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Good run-about. Dependable but lots of little problems developed after the warrenty expired like broken plastic components (AC knob, driver seat base molding, seat belt cover), specific lines on rear window defroster, and lowest fan level on AC doesn't work. For a car among the cheapest that GM makes and having 80000 miles, it has been a good but not great car. It seems like GM is always having recalls on this car (#3 by last count) which means that I am being inconvenienced for a day each time. I would consider buying another, but I would do a lot of shopping around for other cars in the same price range first.

Not bad
By matthoffman on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I've had it for 5 years and haven't run into any reliability problems yet, except for plastic trim falling off, which seems pretty standard. It's the least expensive sports-looking car available! I haven't taken it into the shop for any real problems yet, and it has 50,000 now. I'm hoping for another couple years.

throwaway car
By cavhater on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as a replacement for a Jetta that was a money pit. Bad move! At least the J looked better! Ignition switch went out after 55k miles, leaks oil, ABS light has been on for weeks, and it has no personality whatsoever. On my way to get a Honda CR-V!