1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
What a fun car!
By jat20 on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

I have had this car since 1997. The only complaint that I can say is the roof leaked in the begenning. After getting it to the dealership numerous times, the problem was finally solved.

Great Car
By sprnova777 on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for two and a half years and the only problem I have had is the waterpump. I am told that these cars are known for this. Other than that my cavy has 91000 miles and runs just as good as the day I bought it.

Can't wait to get rid of this car
By ALK on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used right after I graduated college because it was all I could afford. I have had several problems with it including coolant problems, blown head casket, a/c problems, belts problems that needed replaced...you get the idea. Looking to trade this junk in for a Corolla...can't wait!!!

cavalier1997
By gfischer on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

nice car, fun to drive, excellent for around the town driving.

I love this car!
By christen on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

I bought my Cavelier 4 years ago, and I love it as much today as i did the day I bought it. It is a great car.

dependable
By Iowaguy on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

car gets great gas milage , sound system good, heater good , air cond good , peppy get up when needed, looks sharp my car has the traction control great in Iowa winters very reliable .Negative - Seat belt restraint cheap needs replaced , plastic parts cheap had to replace passanger air vent positioner, foam densisty in front seats need to be more firm as it settles and you swing to get out of car the metal seat bracket catches your clothes. overall should be rated at an 7.8

Reliable Car
By Sweetpea on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 53,000 miles in 1999. Since then I have had it in the shop 5 times for the brakes & 3 times for recall parts. But overall I'd have to say I made a good choice when I picked this car. It runs great on gas & handles very well. It now has 95,000 and is just starting to get some mechanical problems. I have been looking for a new car & I am geering towards a newer Cavalier. I'm going to miss my trusty first car.

You get what you pay for...
By starcherja on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

My wife bought this car brand new in 1997 and I "inherited" it and its problems when we were married two years later. A fun car to drive with all of the options, unfortunately not very well constructed and very unreliable. Now at 75,000 miles have replaced water pump, sunroof module, ignition, etc. Have had trouble getting problems resolved through multiple GM garages. All and all, a dissapointing experience with what should have been a fun car. Buyer beware!

Happy Owner
By Nice plain car on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 and a half years with very few problems. Just the standard tire/brake replacement, and oil changes. The original battery finally died after 5 yrs of use. I did have a few of the interior plastic pieces brake, but nothing detracting. Great car for a younger person.

It doesn't get any better
By Adlar Landry on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

For this price its a steal, I was going to get a VW Jetta 12'000, got in this with 99'000 miles on it , it drove a lot better than a Jetta with 50'000 that I was going to buy , its fun sporty sun roof and great sound system for being stock , and the pep is something else all together, The dash is great and very very durable , my only complaint is the Plastic on the seats and seat belt covers is weak and falls apart easily , other than that I paid 4,400 it was used by a personal friend runs as if I took it off a lot ... I give this a 87 - 92 out of a 100 rating