Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Love my car
By christi

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I drive my car a lot, and I absolutly love it. It's an older car, but I wouldn't want to get rid of it till it died on me, and once that happens i'll definitely get another one like it. It's easy to drive, and it did great in the snow surprisingly. I've taken it on road trips and it was pretty comfortable over a long drive. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

I like how it heats up fast in the winter, and the rear defrost, plus in the summer my AC works excellent!

None! I love it the way it is!

What's all the complaining about?
By Bill

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I can't believe how poorly people rate the cavalier. This car is inexpensive, fun to drive, great looking for its age (almost 10 year old design) and gets great mpg even with the 2.4 dohc. The more time you spend driving it the more you like it. If people want luxury options they shouldn't rag on the cav. It's an economy car on paper but feels like a lot more when you actually own and drive daily. Stop the complaining. Keep your delusions of grandeur to yourself. Full coverage insurance on the car is very very reasonable. I have full coverage, live in Manhattan and spend less than 1000 a year.

size, styling, hp, mpg. Fun to drive in urban traffic or on highway trips outside the city. Low insurance costs.

For the price, I don't expect anything more. Better ashtray, okay.

Reliable Runabout
By CJ

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with an extended warranty, shortly thereafter the water pump went. I had regrets buying it, thinking the reliability would be bad. Very few problems since then. The O2 sensor went ($20 to replace). A/C needed a leak fixed, and a small oil leak fixed, all cheap fixes. Few problems for an 8 year old car. Ride and interior leave much to be desired. Lots of squeaks, and very soft ride. Cheap looking inside, and some fragile plastic pieces. Power was fine with the manual tranny. Engine note was quiet, albeit a souless "whir." Gas mileage was very good (33).

Mileage, cheap to repair, cold A/C, maintenence easy to do.

Interior quality, more composed ride. Way too much body roll in the turns. More precise shifter.

1997 4dr LS
By joek

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Haven't had a bad experience other than one of the cooling fan wires shorted out and had to be replaced. Reliable, excellent on gas and runs good. I woulnd't recommend it as a 'family' car, but it's cheap and easy to maintain and works really well as general transportation.

Fuel economy, 4 speed, cruise control, tilt wheel

On the 2.2L, put the oil filter where you can actually get to it! Had to remove the right front wheel to get to it! Whoever designed that has it in for the DIY's.

Another mediocre GM car.
By Peter

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I've done all the preventative maintenance to date on my Cavalier. The brakes chatter most, but not all the time. Often cannot get out of 1st or 2nd gear without pumping the clutch. Dealer tried fixing that by overfilling transaxle; a dumb idea. Electric windows are unreliable: sometimes they roll up, sometimes they don't. Power steering groans. Seats offer poor back support and have only two controls. No inside trunk release. Intermittent wipers often don't work. No outside air shut-off. No separate vent shut-offs. Cheap carpet. Engine stumbles, especially when cold, but good power. No passenger window or door controls on driver side. Dash warped; squeaks. Cigarette lighter fell off into unreachable area of dash interior. Minimal instrument panel.

Beautiful body styling. Air conditioner very cold, even after 96,000 miles without a freon flush, and even here in the hot Sacramento Valley. 150-hp Quad-4 engine moves car to freeway speeds quickly. Paint shows no evidence of oxidation or wear. CV joints still fully functional.

Hire someone from Toyota to replace everything but the body. We will not buy another GM car anyway.