1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Economical and reliable
By worksforme on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Very reliable transportation. Except for a few minor warranty items, have only had to do the normal maintenance, which is cheap to DIY, and not so expensive if you take it somewhere. It's been a real workhorse for commuting to work and running around town. It's not going to win any performance/fun awards. That's not what this car is about. Noise is fact of life in this car.

Pleasantly surprised!
By car_buyer on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This was my first car ever and it turned out to be good choice. I have heard from some people that they had problems with this car but mine has tunred out to be a quality car. No repairs at all other than some recalls. I only had to change the oil regularly and tires and breaks once in 90,000 miles.

Reliable, economy, sport coupe
By seattle, wa on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new right out of college, it was what I could afford at the time. This car has been nothing but great to own and drive. I have had no problems or repairs other than one brake job and new tires! I am about to take it in for its first tune up now that it has over 100K miles. This car run and feels just like it did when it was brand new. My only complaint is that the paint has not held up well, it dings and scratches easily. Otherwise a great car that is very fun to drive and has plenty of power. The people who complain about the lack of power do not have the Z24.

Not bad!
By Little Jenn on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This was my first "new" car and I was thrilled when I bought it. After 3 years I had to have the transmission replaced! Thankfully I opted for the extended warranty because it came in handy. Ever since then I've had to do minor repairs here and there but the car keeps on going. Since my Chevy is stick I get EXCELLENT gas mileage! It's small enough to park on city streets but big enough to carry anything I need to stuff in there!! I would recomend it to anyone who needs a nice size car with a sportier look.

The Greatest Little Car I've Ever Owned!
By Gary M on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I have nothing but praise for this car. It is fun to drive, has plenty of power, and has been no trouble. Who could ask for anything more?

not too bad
By thesaviorx6x6x6 on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

this car is a sturdy, well-built chevy. If taken care of it will hardly ever let you down. Maintainance is very minimal. Though the manual transmission makes it fun to drive, it does lack in power. Sometimes acceleration feels very sluggish. Nevertheless it is a quality car

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THIS!!!!!!
By Poof on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car right out of High School.I din't know what I was doing. This was all I could afford. The only smart thing I did was buy the extended warranty. If I hadn't I would of spent $3000 on fixing it. Gas mileage sucks. I had the rear main seal go, head cover gasket, leak in the fuel injectors, o2 sensor, alternator, oil pump, oil pump sensor, only thing that is still working great is the a/c and coolant system. I can't wait to finish paying it off in Aug 2003. This was my second cavalier and it had nothing but the constantly over heating. I'm talking, going to work and find your coolant broke inside your car, leaking everywhere.

Beautiful car
By reddz24 on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Even though I haven't owned this vehicle very long, I think its a great little sporty compact! It's got plenty of juice for a 4 banger and its great mileage. And theres tons of aftermarket parts for it! I just put a cold air intake in, engine sounds soo deep and nice!!!

This car is satan itself
By dmr028 on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Time chain went $650 Fuel regulator $350 Radator $750 Head gaskets $800 (I only had the car 6 months and miles were just over the warranty in '99 - I have no speeding tickets either!) 4 recalls in the time I've owned the vechile. DON'T BUY THIS CAR YOU WILL GO BROKE FIXING IT!!!

Good overall car
By Dsuave on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought the cavalier with a little under 60,000 miles from the dealer. I didn't have any major problems aside from the normal wear and tear of any car. I replaced the alternator once, which required a lot of force to re- attached the fan belt. The notoriously ineffective coolant system gave way about 85,000 miles and I had to spend over $1,000 to replace the head gasket due to a warped piston head from all the times the car overheated. It is very noisy at high speeds. Overall, it is a reliable car that you can depend on for everyday driving. It handles great and has sufficient leg room. This is a great first car for anyone who is young and learning