1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
What a lemon!
By mad cavi owner on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has turned out to be such a lemon! Within the first 18 months the steering rack had to be replaced. It needed a new clutch after 50k miles and now at just after 60k the head gasket needs to be replaced! Oh yes, and the windshield wipers have decided that the new off position is straight up. Yikes! Steer clear of this one my friends!

Love my Z
By INANE on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've had my Z24 for a little over 4 years now, bought it when it was one year old. I had traded in my 89 Berreta GTU for it (a car that doubled it value from all the work I had to do to it). I like the design's of GM products but I know that most of what they made from the 80s and early 90s were junk from a reliablity standpoint so I cautiously purchased the Z24 with an extended warrenty. I guess its good to say I only had to use it once, had to replace the water pump, otherwise this car has been near perfect to me (has 71k miles now).

Remember the price
By Big Jim on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Good run-about. Dependable but lots of little problems developed after the warrenty expired like broken plastic components (AC knob, driver seat base molding, seat belt cover), specific lines on rear window defroster, and lowest fan level on AC doesn't work. For a car among the cheapest that GM makes and having 80000 miles, it has been a good but not great car. It seems like GM is always having recalls on this car (#3 by last count) which means that I am being inconvenienced for a day each time. I would consider buying another, but I would do a lot of shopping around for other cars in the same price range first.

Not bad
By matthoffman on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've had it for 5 years and haven't run into any reliability problems yet, except for plastic trim falling off, which seems pretty standard. It's the least expensive sports-looking car available! I haven't taken it into the shop for any real problems yet, and it has 50,000 now. I'm hoping for another couple years.

crap!
By lbs on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car to take back and forth to college. Every time i get in it i get a headache from the wind noise. The car is not well insulated and every little noise is heard. I have to keep the radio loud to even hear it over the noise. i have had to replace the alternator and the starter and a few batteries. I also had major problems with the AC like five times. All around it is more trouble than it is worth.