1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great car for the cost.
By Leslie Lou on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I ever purchased, I still love it as much now as I did when I rove it off the lot 7 years ago with only 7 miles on it. The paint is a little weak scratches way to easy. Lot of ratteling in the dash board from the ashtray to the defroster grill to the glove box, thank goodness I have a nice stock stereo system in the car.

Mechanical Junk
By ZENITH on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

When you think of the so called horrible American car - this is it. Problem after problem after problem.

Not bad for a cheapo!
By ford8n1 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

Bought it with some problems namely a rebuilt title but lady bought it from drove it for about 30K and 2 years so thought not bad plus bought it "cheap!" For a plain jane car it does have a smell of what I call reliability and a proven nameplate. Hey after all what is "transportation" all about?

#1 Ragtop Beater
By rainman5355 on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

1997 Convertible LS.Bought it new in 05/1998. Rarely in shop. Have spent maybe $1000 in non-warranteed work. A blast to drive. Every day driver. Holds five passengers. (name another american convertible that does that) Huge trunk for a car its size. Have vacationed in it with the wife and 3 kids comfortably.

Best Car I Have ever owned
By Nathan Sweeney on 09/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This is by far the best vehicle i have ever owned. I have had a 93 Honda Civic and a 95 jeep Wrangler before the Z24. This thing gets 30 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving, goes 0 - 60 in like 8 seconds, and corners like a mofo. 100mph comes up easily in 5th gear and feels completely stable and in control. Insurance is the same as the 93 Civic for me, a 19 year old male. Had I owned this first, i would have never had the YJ or the Civic. Build quality is flawless in the Z24 except for the paint. Scratches easily. I just want to drive around as much as possible. It's a great car! Looking for a first car? get a Z24, you won't regret it!

Great car
By Great Z-24 on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 3 months now. Its been great the only thing I have had to do is get the water pump replaced. other than that this Z-24 has been great. I've put cold air intake on and it has a really nice deep tone. I've also put euro style lights on and i must say they look great. At 84K it runs very well. the five speen has alot of nuts for a 4 banger... all around great car

Chevy Cavalier LS
By raseco on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Since buying my car used in 97, I have never had a problem w/ this car. Other than the normal maintenance and upkeep, I have not had to replace any other parts.

The Heavy Chevy!
By All-around Pleased on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

The Cavalier has been a really good car for me and my family. It has a sporty look, but is pretty easy on the wallet. Gets great mileage (thanks to the automatic transmission) and has ample power for long time travel. Only problems I've had, except for routine maintenance, is head gasket replaced around 80,000 miles, water pump replaced at 81,000 miles, car main computer down around 90,000 miles (replaced with used one), and alternator replaced around 95,000 miles. Sounds like a lot, but was very reasonably priced to fix (especially if you know some good "private" mechanics). All in all, not much to ask for a really hard ridden car.

Great little Car
By TooBright on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

I bought my cavalier used and with high mileage. I still love it, and can't think of selling it.

Money pit
By SteveNY on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost 3 years. I've replaced the struts, front and back, the strut mounts front and back (twice within 14 months for the back), the front wheel bearings, and I've had times that the car won't start because the spark plugs got a little dirty. (I wind up having to replace the plugs every six months or so). Along with the other little stupid things I've had happen, if I didn't do all the work myself, I can't imagine how much it would have cost me. I'm so ready to get rid of this piece of junk.