Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

97 Chevy Cavalier
By Kirk M.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I'm 16 and this is my first car. When I first got my car a year ago I loved it to death and never had a problem out of it. But then this month everything has gone wrong with it. It started to overheat continuously and so I pulled over to check the coolant and there was none in it, so I added some. Then the next day it overheated again and there wasn't any coolant in it. So I drove it back home and tried to turn it off but the engine wouldn't stop running. We unplugged the battery and that didn't work so we messed wtih the alternator and it finally quit running. Then I had to have it towed in because it wouldn't start. Then I found out that the coolant was going into the engine so now it will cost $1000

Gas mileage, A/C, CD player

More cabin room, more comfy seats, more reliable power windows, locks, and seats

Almost 10 Years Old and Heads Still Turn
By Debbie Moreno

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

I've had this car for almost 10 years and it still runs great and looks great! People always ask me.."What kind of car is that","Who makes it","That's a nice looking car",etc.I have nothing but great things to say about it and other people do as well. Passengers can't believe how quick it goes from 0 to 40,50,60mph. Great on gas! So much fun to drive! Put the top down and everyone is checking it out! Also,I've had the car for almost 10 years. I got in a very bad accident with it(another driver's fault,nothing to do with the car) and I truly believe its safety features saved my life. Air bags worked right on contact,seat belt locked me in place,etc. Not a fender bender! Best purchase I ever made!

My favorite features are really the way the car moves.The way it drives. It's sporty, yet practical. Best feature by far is the way it manuevers and grips the road.

After having it for almost 10 years, I'm sure the interiors of similar Chevrolets are updated. If not, update the interior.Console could be updated. Make it more shallow. It's too deep. I'm sure it's meant to help with storage/organization. It's wasted space.

Solid value
By Aerocraft67

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This car was a great value when I bought it new and throughout its lifetime. I just sold it. It's more stylish, powerful, and feature rich for the price compared with alternatives. I could even tow with it. Gratifying acceleration with the 2.4L, which is apparently one of GM's best engines. Repairs became significant, but otherwise normal and routine (i.e., A/C overhaul and water pump replacement near 90k). Otherwise, no major chronic or abnormal problems. Although, I had to replace the windshield twice under otherwise normal conditions. Very favorable price/performance ratio. I agree that criticism is harsh when you consider fair trade-offs at this price point. It served me well.

Towing capacity (1,000 lbs w/2.4L), fold-down back seat, solid acceleration (2.4L), styling, price, traction control, ABS, tight cruise control, fuel economy, robust heat/AC, intuitive/ergonomic controls, dual air bags, easy to obtain service and parts.

Windshield seemed to crack easily, slightly unassuring ride at very high speed with heavy traffic, uncomfortable seats, road and wind noise, noisy and gappy wipers, flimsy side mirror and trip odometer, but nothing unreasonable for this class of car.

Z24 love it
By D White

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I inherited this car from a friend who had it for less than a year. I intended to sell it right away, but changed my mind after driving it a bit. For the size and class of car, it's definitely one of the most fun ones I've had. And it loos good! Easy to maintain, and reasonable priced, I truly believe I got a sweet deal.

Looks, acceleration, fuel mileage, uses regular unleaded.

Beefier door hinge pins. Typical of most coupes, the doors are longer and heavier, and will take their toll on standard hinge pins over time.

I got my money's worth
By vandy

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Wow -- I got my money's worth and then some -- paid a shade over $11k (about the same # of miles on it at the time), and proceeded to run this thing into the ground. Just died 2 days ago (head gasket) with a whopping 179,000 miles. I have no complaints about this car. This car took out a deer at 65mph and did not blink (broken headlight, slightly dented hood). was also rear- ended (at speed) on the interstate by an old fella in a Buick. dented my license plate (slightly), while his grille/hood were a complete mess. I dealt with the slight rattles/noises the car developed (plastic covering tach/odometer display had an odd unrepariable squeak) because it never had any mechanical problems.

Was completely reliable. Good mileage, solid build.

Make sure they all turn out like this, if you can. I think this car made a deal with the devil or something. 180K on a domestic car... everyplace I've taken it for routine maintenance has told me this is the only Chevy they've seen take this kind of mileage/wear & tear.