Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Love my car
By christi

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I drive my car a lot, and I absolutly love it. It's an older car, but I wouldn't want to get rid of it till it died on me, and once that happens i'll definitely get another one like it. It's easy to drive, and it did great in the snow surprisingly. I've taken it on road trips and it was pretty comfortable over a long drive. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

Favorite Features

I like how it heats up fast in the winter, and the rear defrost, plus in the summer my AC works excellent!

Suggested Improvements

None! I love it the way it is!

Reliable Runabout
By CJ

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with an extended warranty, shortly thereafter the water pump went. I had regrets buying it, thinking the reliability would be bad. Very few problems since then. The O2 sensor went ($20 to replace). A/C needed a leak fixed, and a small oil leak fixed, all cheap fixes. Few problems for an 8 year old car. Ride and interior leave much to be desired. Lots of squeaks, and very soft ride. Cheap looking inside, and some fragile plastic pieces. Power was fine with the manual tranny. Engine note was quiet, albeit a souless "whir." Gas mileage was very good (33).

Favorite Features

Mileage, cheap to repair, cold A/C, maintenence easy to do.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality, more composed ride. Way too much body roll in the turns. More precise shifter.

Another mediocre GM car.
By Peter

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've done all the preventative maintenance to date on my Cavalier. The brakes chatter most, but not all the time. Often cannot get out of 1st or 2nd gear without pumping the clutch. Dealer tried fixing that by overfilling transaxle; a dumb idea. Electric windows are unreliable: sometimes they roll up, sometimes they don't. Power steering groans. Seats offer poor back support and have only two controls. No inside trunk release. Intermittent wipers often don't work. No outside air shut-off. No separate vent shut-offs. Cheap carpet. Engine stumbles, especially when cold, but good power. No passenger window or door controls on driver side. Dash warped; squeaks. Cigarette lighter fell off into unreachable area of dash interior. Minimal instrument panel.

Favorite Features

Beautiful body styling. Air conditioner very cold, even after 96,000 miles without a freon flush, and even here in the hot Sacramento Valley. 150-hp Quad-4 engine moves car to freeway speeds quickly. Paint shows no evidence of oxidation or wear. CV joints still fully functional.

Suggested Improvements

Hire someone from Toyota to replace everything but the body. We will not buy another GM car anyway.

Will Own Many More Cavaliers!!
By Rachek

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I drive for a living. I spend no less than 9 hours a day in my car and it is the best purchase I have ever made. I love my car and will own it till it won't own me anymore.

Favorite Features

It is just the all around best car!

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I have is it needs a little more lumbar support.

Perfect For Me
By Lorrie99415

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Got this car used, and was a little worried about some things I had heard. So far so good though. Being in college it gets me where I need to go in comfort and style, has plenty of pep, feels nice and sturdy to drive and doesn't cost much in gas at all. Could use an extra cup holder, but other than that I have no complaints. Would definately recommend this as a first car for anyone who is not sure what to get.

Favorite Features

Overall style, nice and cheap for parts that rarely break down

Suggested Improvements

Add a cup holder, other than that I'm happy as is!