1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great car for the cost.
By Leslie Lou on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I ever purchased, I still love it as much now as I did when I rove it off the lot 7 years ago with only 7 miles on it. The paint is a little weak scratches way to easy. Lot of ratteling in the dash board from the ashtray to the defroster grill to the glove box, thank goodness I have a nice stock stereo system in the car.

Not bad for a cheapo!
By ford8n1 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

Bought it with some problems namely a rebuilt title but lady bought it from drove it for about 30K and 2 years so thought not bad plus bought it "cheap!" For a plain jane car it does have a smell of what I call reliability and a proven nameplate. Hey after all what is "transportation" all about?

Best Car I Have ever owned
By Nathan Sweeney on 09/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This is by far the best vehicle i have ever owned. I have had a 93 Honda Civic and a 95 jeep Wrangler before the Z24. This thing gets 30 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving, goes 0 - 60 in like 8 seconds, and corners like a mofo. 100mph comes up easily in 5th gear and feels completely stable and in control. Insurance is the same as the 93 Civic for me, a 19 year old male. Had I owned this first, i would have never had the YJ or the Civic. Build quality is flawless in the Z24 except for the paint. Scratches easily. I just want to drive around as much as possible. It's a great car! Looking for a first car? get a Z24, you won't regret it!

Great car
By Great Z-24 on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 3 months now. Its been great the only thing I have had to do is get the water pump replaced. other than that this Z-24 has been great. I've put cold air intake on and it has a really nice deep tone. I've also put euro style lights on and i must say they look great. At 84K it runs very well. the five speen has alot of nuts for a 4 banger... all around great car

The Heavy Chevy!
By All-around Pleased on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

The Cavalier has been a really good car for me and my family. It has a sporty look, but is pretty easy on the wallet. Gets great mileage (thanks to the automatic transmission) and has ample power for long time travel. Only problems I've had, except for routine maintenance, is head gasket replaced around 80,000 miles, water pump replaced at 81,000 miles, car main computer down around 90,000 miles (replaced with used one), and alternator replaced around 95,000 miles. Sounds like a lot, but was very reasonably priced to fix (especially if you know some good "private" mechanics). All in all, not much to ask for a really hard ridden car.

Reliable, economy, sport coupe
By seattle, wa on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new right out of college, it was what I could afford at the time. This car has been nothing but great to own and drive. I have had no problems or repairs other than one brake job and new tires! I am about to take it in for its first tune up now that it has over 100K miles. This car run and feels just like it did when it was brand new. My only complaint is that the paint has not held up well, it dings and scratches easily. Otherwise a great car that is very fun to drive and has plenty of power. The people who complain about the lack of power do not have the Z24.

Pleasantly surprised!
By car_buyer on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

This was my first car ever and it turned out to be good choice. I have heard from some people that they had problems with this car but mine has tunred out to be a quality car. No repairs at all other than some recalls. I only had to change the oil regularly and tires and breaks once in 90,000 miles.

Not bad!
By Little Jenn on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

This was my first "new" car and I was thrilled when I bought it. After 3 years I had to have the transmission replaced! Thankfully I opted for the extended warranty because it came in handy. Ever since then I've had to do minor repairs here and there but the car keeps on going. Since my Chevy is stick I get EXCELLENT gas mileage! It's small enough to park on city streets but big enough to carry anything I need to stuff in there!! I would recomend it to anyone who needs a nice size car with a sportier look.

not too bad
By thesaviorx6x6x6 on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

this car is a sturdy, well-built chevy. If taken care of it will hardly ever let you down. Maintainance is very minimal. Though the manual transmission makes it fun to drive, it does lack in power. Sometimes acceleration feels very sluggish. Nevertheless it is a quality car

Beautiful car
By reddz24 on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Even though I haven't owned this vehicle very long, I think its a great little sporty compact! It's got plenty of juice for a 4 banger and its great mileage. And theres tons of aftermarket parts for it! I just put a cold air intake in, engine sounds soo deep and nice!!!