Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good car
By RNA

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

The Cavalier Coupe with the 2.2 OHV is not fast. With the 3 speed auto it is lacking in acceleration, but it is not unbearably slow, and it has good pickup in 2nd gear. Recently replaced Struts, front steering components, and Goodyear Tripletred tires result in an excellent ride, and handling is excellent. It handles curves at speed with a composed, solid feel. The interior is typical of old GM. Some cheap plastic bits, but a simple, easy layout. Brakes have solid pedal feel, along with rapid stops when needed. Lots of backseat room. Right now the A/C compressor needs replaced, but with 127,000 miles, it has lasted a long time. I run Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 Synthetic Blend motor oil.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, comfortable seats, smooth ride. Cruise control, when it worked, the A/C was ice cold.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now, but a more durable dash trim panel would be nice. CD Player, 4 speed automatic should have been standard.

I will miss this car
By The Dude

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 for a steal of a price at 90,000 some miles. Mostly had regular maintenance done to it, The only thing I wish is I had known more about cars when I got it. I drove this thing though a flood, it performed a fancy winter move that saved my life and it has never broke down on me. Given the model type, plastic bumpers hit a lot by other cars and such yet no problem and engine size. It's at 161,000 right now but will probably only hit around 200,000. All and all I liked this car, but I am thinking I will good ford next due to GM's Bankruptcy.

Favorite Features

2,2 engine fuel efficient for it's year and lasts longer than small engines. Model is heavy for a fuel economy car, as well as having good handling. Transmission is flawless never a bad shift.

Suggested Improvements

The cooling system is good if it's really well taken care of otherwise not so much, the seats could be more comfy.

A base model isn't bad
By Revolver

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I really like my chevy the design is basic enough that you can change out parts easy. Plus all the parts are pretty cheap, the coolant system absolutely suxs. However, if that's all you have to worry about I suppose that's okay. Many people buy cavalier's because they are cheap if you get the base model. You'll be surprised what these things will endure. My went through a flood with no issues, if you keep up to date on the coolant system if will work in many different heats and colds. Mine is a 2.2 liter which sure beats a 1.9 or a 2.0 only thing is I wish the car where a little bit bigger in the front for easy access to parts other than that a good cheap car!

Favorite Features

Basic design that is reliable and the used prices on these cars are pretty good!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine 2.4 would be pretty ideal, also a standard coolant system dex cool doesn't cut it!

LS Sedan
By BrandonK

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 Cavalier sedan since it was new, over 10 years ago and can honestly say I enjoy the vehicle. The engine still runs great with 178,000 miles. I've replaced the high beam light, alternator at 110,000 miles, water pump at 165,000 miles, and the power steering hose at 178,000 miles. I've performed the repairs with my dad, so labor was free, yet the parts only cost about 200.00 total, making the total cost of ownership very reasonable. I drive about 60% highway and usually change the oil every 5,000 miles. The vehicle has consistently averaged 30 MPG at around 40% city and 60% highway. I'm also 6 feet tall and think the vehicle has just the right about the leg room.

Favorite Features

It's fun to drive. Oh yes, I also think I must have a little Dutch in me, as this vehicle makes me smile when I think of the total cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet could improve on the comfort and the quality of a few internal components, such as the power outlet (cigarette lighter outlet), and the plastic side caps next to the seat recline lever.

Great Little Car!
By bethann591

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1997 Cavalier used in 2000 with only 50,000 miles on it. It's been a sturdy, reliable, and fun little car. I've put another 74,000 miles on it driving all over the country. Recently I encountered a freak sleet storm in rural Montana and ended up rolling my car in a ditch. I always said I'd drive that car until it died, and boy did I. The car was totaled, but I was able to walk away from the accident with minor scratches and bruises. Thank you, Cavalier! You did you job well!

Favorite Features

Great body styling, great gas mileage, fun to drive, fold-down back seat

Suggested Improvements

Interior fell apart quickly (mostly made of plastic), better placement of cup holders