1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
What's all the complaining about?
By Bill on 07/28/05 13:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I can't believe how poorly people rate the cavalier. This car is inexpensive, fun to drive, great looking for its age (almost 10 year old design) and gets great mpg even with the 2.4 dohc. The more time you spend driving it the more you like it. If people want luxury options they shouldn't rag on the cav. It's an economy car on paper but feels like a lot more when you actually own and drive daily. Stop the complaining. Keep your delusions of grandeur to yourself. Full coverage insurance on the car is very very reasonable. I have full coverage, live in Manhattan and spend less than 1000 a year.

Reliable Runabout
By CJ on 06/17/05 19:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with an extended warranty, shortly thereafter the water pump went. I had regrets buying it, thinking the reliability would be bad. Very few problems since then. The O2 sensor went ($20 to replace). A/C needed a leak fixed, and a small oil leak fixed, all cheap fixes. Few problems for an 8 year old car. Ride and interior leave much to be desired. Lots of squeaks, and very soft ride. Cheap looking inside, and some fragile plastic pieces. Power was fine with the manual tranny. Engine note was quiet, albeit a souless "whir." Gas mileage was very good (33).

1997 4dr LS
By joek on 05/20/05 19:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Haven't had a bad experience other than one of the cooling fan wires shorted out and had to be replaced. Reliable, excellent on gas and runs good. I woulnd't recommend it as a 'family' car, but it's cheap and easy to maintain and works really well as general transportation.

Another mediocre GM car.
By Peter on 04/29/05 13:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I've done all the preventative maintenance to date on my Cavalier. The brakes chatter most, but not all the time. Often cannot get out of 1st or 2nd gear without pumping the clutch. Dealer tried fixing that by overfilling transaxle; a dumb idea. Electric windows are unreliable: sometimes they roll up, sometimes they don't. Power steering groans. Seats offer poor back support and have only two controls. No inside trunk release. Intermittent wipers often don't work. No outside air shut-off. No separate vent shut-offs. Cheap carpet. Engine stumbles, especially when cold, but good power. No passenger window or door controls on driver side. Dash warped; squeaks. Cigarette lighter fell off into unreachable area of dash interior. Minimal instrument panel.

Will Own Many More Cavaliers!!
By Rachek on 04/13/05 20:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I drive for a living. I spend no less than 9 hours a day in my car and it is the best purchase I have ever made. I love my car and will own it till it won't own me anymore.

97 Cavalier
By Joe on 02/25/05 07:41 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Just bought it as a work car. Only had 54,000 miles on it, so not a bad deal. To me the interior is very reminiscent of the 1980s and early 1990s Cavaliers. Most everything seems to be in a logical location. I like the fact that it's cheap, easy to maintain and it's decent on gas. I've driven Cavaliers before, and never had any trouble with them! Although I had forgotten about the loud, droning exhaust note from those GM 4-bangers.

Perfect For Me
By Lorrie99415 on 11/28/04 22:49 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Got this car used, and was a little worried about some things I had heard. So far so good though. Being in college it gets me where I need to go in comfort and style, has plenty of pep, feels nice and sturdy to drive and doesn't cost much in gas at all. Could use an extra cup holder, but other than that I have no complaints. Would definately recommend this as a first car for anyone who is not sure what to get.

OH MY GOD!
By nocarnow on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I have put several aftermarket modifications on my car, thats about all i love about it. Driving it the other day and the tranny went on me!! Left me stuck on Route 90, a major interstate. You know Chevy's little phrase, "we'll be there?" Ya, they'll be there when you need to buy a new car and are going to giive them $22,000! Then they will GLADLY be there. It rides like a go-cart by the way. However I never had any problems with the alternator or the water pump.

solid car, but weak engine
By ........... on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought my cav. less then a year ago and it only had 46,000 miles on it. But now it has close to 73,000 and it still runs great. The only problem I've had with it was I needed to replace the altinator. at 72,000 miles.

By greennirvana102 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

well, ive had the car for about a year now and nothing really has gone wrong with it. its at 120,000 miles and still runs strong. I've put about $1000 in repairs though...... but that was all stuff I knew I had to get. Tires, water pump, and tune up. Overall, great car.