1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
OH MY GOD!
By nocarnow on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have put several aftermarket modifications on my car, thats about all i love about it. Driving it the other day and the tranny went on me!! Left me stuck on Route 90, a major interstate. You know Chevy's little phrase, "we'll be there?" Ya, they'll be there when you need to buy a new car and are going to giive them $22,000! Then they will GLADLY be there. It rides like a go-cart by the way. However I never had any problems with the alternator or the water pump.

solid car, but weak engine
By ........... on 10/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my cav. less then a year ago and it only had 46,000 miles on it. But now it has close to 73,000 and it still runs great. The only problem I've had with it was I needed to replace the altinator. at 72,000 miles.

By greennirvana102 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

well, ive had the car for about a year now and nothing really has gone wrong with it. its at 120,000 miles and still runs strong. I've put about $1000 in repairs though...... but that was all stuff I knew I had to get. Tires, water pump, and tune up. Overall, great car.

Nice but slow car!
By nitrouscav97 on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have a fully customized cavalier with lots of mods. But it lacks severely in the performance issue, all the other cars in its class are FASTER! I would be satisfied with 150HP at the least, the car can't seem to turn my chrome wheels fast enough to go anywhere. My wife loves to drive it and I like to drive it too, it looks great with the modifications, but i have no beef under the hood to get onto the freeway! PLEASE help me with this, I need something to boost this cars performance. Also the dashboard does creek in the hot sun while driving, and the AC and the power steering blew out too soon! Thank you -Kyle

One of the worst ever
By savageice on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Engine broke($1200), timing chain broke (800), hit a little toothpick tree in the snow and did over $2000 worth of body damage. Add that to a couple of other problems under the hood....I pay more fixing it then I did when I bought the stupid thing

good car now i have spent money
By fandfcavalier on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is a dicent lil car. not something to brag about but none the less its a car. i have upgraded the brakes, exhaust system, and intake system and after that i am impressed with the lil car. i have the 3 speed auto and i ran a 17.33 in the quarter and 9 sec 0-60 the other day. the only thing is that the 2.2 liter motors timing chain tenser is crap. i need it changed and the cheapest place to change it so far is 500 bucks. Another thing i hate is gm's crappy alternators and water pumps. i am on the second water pump and the 3rd alternator. but other than all of that is been a good car.

Great fun car
By drkoz0123 on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

My Cavi was my 2nd car. I was looking for something sporty, reliable, and more safe than my previous car to go back and forth to college. Currently have 64000 miles. Only had a few problems but nothing major. One of them was recalled 2 years later and GM has been great to refund then money. It's great on fuel. Does OK when it's really cold, I've been stuck without a vehicle because it was too cold a few times. Seats are a little uncomfortable and bad for very tall and/or larger people. Needs more cup holders. Needs a better stereo system which I changed. The seat that folds down in back is great to haul stuff. Seems to dent and scratch easy.

A lot of go for a 4 banger
By greennirvana101 on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

i just bought this car used with a bunch of mods on it... it runs 0-60 in 6.7! its got a lot of go and potential for such a great price

stay away!
By davehatescavaliers on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

after being ripped off in 2001 for $3000 more than the car was even worth, it's been one problem after another with this little piece of you- know-what. i'm considering replacing it with a 12 year old accord with 108,000 miles if that tells you anything. that honda will be a real step up.

Don't buy this car.
By tezdel81 on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My mother always said, "you get what you pay for." That is exactly right with this car. The best thing it has going for it is gas mileage. Otherwise, it's built to last only a few years. No trade in value, you will end up owing way more than its worth in the long run. Stay away is my opinion.