Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

A freaking amazing car
By Chevy4life

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I am a ASE certified Automotive Mechanic so please do not brush me off. This car is a simple yet elegant car that i push to the breaking point every day and its probably in my garage right now laughing at me saying is that all you've got? It needs a few improvements like power windows and about another 40 HP couldn't hurt rither it gets me where i need to go and i know from experience i will probably own this car for the next 10 years at least

Suggested Improvements

Power windows and more Horse Power

great little car
By Mack 55

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car now for 7 years. It has out lasted all of my friends hondas and toyotas. Unlike most people i have a 5 speed in mine and have never had a problem with power out of the 2.2 4 banger. i have only had to replace the clutch at 165000 miles, and an alternator at 180000 miles. this car still has the same spark plugs that came in it when it was new. only problems now are the power windows with not roll up any more. but what do you expect from a 13 year old car. it still gets 33 mpg hiway and 26 city. great little car wish they still made them.

Favorite Features

like just about everything in this car.

Suggested Improvements

the seats needed some help

Say It Ain't So
By Kate

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

My first car was a '97 chevy cavalier. I absolutely adored this car, except for the fact she was a piece of junk. The interior was close to awful. The insulation, those plastic black things that line the doors and windows, were falling apart before I pulled out of the car lot. I only had the car for a year and I had to have the coolant tank replaced, the brakes completely overhauled and after over a thousand dollars in repairs, the car died on the highway. No one would tell me what was wrong with it, so I had to ditch the car. My Mom bought a Chevy Malibu 1 yr older and has had the EXACT same problems. Don't forget about the fuel pump that never got fixed. Do yourself a favor - steer clear!

Favorite Features

Uh...I liked the steering wheel. And the exterior itself was a pretty ivy green.

Suggested Improvements

Everything!

1997 cavilier z24
By jon

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

the car has held up nice other than the paint sracthes easy, i only have 68000 miles on it now and have bought it brand new. in all these years i used synthetic oil, installed a cold air intake. and tires and brakes and a altenator. so i feel real proud of this great purchase

Favorite Features

i like how fast it is, and reading some of the reviews on the cars slow,...those are the reviews from people that didnt spend a lil extra to get the z24.

Suggested Improvements

add another cup holder please, and improve the paint.

165,000 miles and still running strong
By RICK C

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought the car for a 100 bucks 2 yrs ago. It sat in grass for 2 yrs before I bought it so the under-carriage and lower rocker panels are shot. I spent 700 in new brakes, tires, gas tank, wheel bearing, fuel filter and a tune-up and it has ran great since. The 2.2 engine did have a head-gasket leak (weeping coolant outside the block) I added a bottle of hapco head-gasket sealant into the coolant a yr and a 1/2 ago and that fixed it. Gas mileage average is 28mpg's. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and hear that these engines can go well into the 200k range easy.

Favorite Features

Cheap to run and fix.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality of interior materials and better use of galvanized steel for the body.