1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
LS Sedan
By John on 08/03/06 13:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Overall a reliable car. Mine has 135,000 miles on it and has never had any engine/transmission work done other than oil changes and tune ups. The engine I have is the 2.4L, so the gas mileage isn't quite as good as the 2.2L. The 2.4 does pack plenty of power though! My car will go up to around 50 mph in 2nd gear if I let it! The only major problem I have had is with a leaky gas tank that was replaced about 130,000 mi. A minor issue that I have is the motors for the power windows are starting to fade. Overall, a great car!

97 Chevy Cavalier
By Kirk M. on 07/21/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm 16 and this is my first car. When I first got my car a year ago I loved it to death and never had a problem out of it. But then this month everything has gone wrong with it. It started to overheat continuously and so I pulled over to check the coolant and there was none in it, so I added some. Then the next day it overheated again and there wasn't any coolant in it. So I drove it back home and tried to turn it off but the engine wouldn't stop running. We unplugged the battery and that didn't work so we messed wtih the alternator and it finally quit running. Then I had to have it towed in because it wouldn't start. Then I found out that the coolant was going into the engine so now it will cost $1000

Solid value
By Aerocraft67 on 04/19/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car was a great value when I bought it new and throughout its lifetime. I just sold it. It's more stylish, powerful, and feature rich for the price compared with alternatives. I could even tow with it. Gratifying acceleration with the 2.4L, which is apparently one of GM's best engines. Repairs became significant, but otherwise normal and routine (i.e., A/C overhaul and water pump replacement near 90k). Otherwise, no major chronic or abnormal problems. Although, I had to replace the windshield twice under otherwise normal conditions. Very favorable price/performance ratio. I agree that criticism is harsh when you consider fair trade-offs at this price point. It served me well.

What's all the complaining about?
By Bill on 07/28/05 13:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I can't believe how poorly people rate the cavalier. This car is inexpensive, fun to drive, great looking for its age (almost 10 year old design) and gets great mpg even with the 2.4 dohc. The more time you spend driving it the more you like it. If people want luxury options they shouldn't rag on the cav. It's an economy car on paper but feels like a lot more when you actually own and drive daily. Stop the complaining. Keep your delusions of grandeur to yourself. Full coverage insurance on the car is very very reasonable. I have full coverage, live in Manhattan and spend less than 1000 a year.

1997 4dr LS
By joek on 05/20/05 19:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Haven't had a bad experience other than one of the cooling fan wires shorted out and had to be replaced. Reliable, excellent on gas and runs good. I woulnd't recommend it as a 'family' car, but it's cheap and easy to maintain and works really well as general transportation.

97 Cavalier
By Joe on 02/25/05 07:41 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Just bought it as a work car. Only had 54,000 miles on it, so not a bad deal. To me the interior is very reminiscent of the 1980s and early 1990s Cavaliers. Most everything seems to be in a logical location. I like the fact that it's cheap, easy to maintain and it's decent on gas. I've driven Cavaliers before, and never had any trouble with them! Although I had forgotten about the loud, droning exhaust note from those GM 4-bangers.

really is a okay car
By natalie8 on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

i have to say i think it is a okay car. i havent had any problems out of it yet!. i think it depends on how you keep a car up. the only thing i dont like is it needs more room and i wish mine had another cup holder in the front.

97 cav
By clh on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

comfortable car nice looking but too frequently in the shop for many minor problems

Average car
By johnjohnjohn on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Make sure you obtain an extended warranty. After 3 years, this car starts to have problems.

Mechanical Junk
By ZENITH on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

When you think of the so called horrible American car - this is it. Problem after problem after problem.