1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
great little car
By Mack 55 on 03/07/10 11:41 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car now for 7 years. It has out lasted all of my friends hondas and toyotas. Unlike most people i have a 5 speed in mine and have never had a problem with power out of the 2.2 4 banger. i have only had to replace the clutch at 165000 miles, and an alternator at 180000 miles. this car still has the same spark plugs that came in it when it was new. only problems now are the power windows with not roll up any more. but what do you expect from a 13 year old car. it still gets 33 mpg hiway and 26 city. great little car wish they still made them.

Say It Ain't So
By Kate on 01/06/10 12:39 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

My first car was a '97 chevy cavalier. I absolutely adored this car, except for the fact she was a piece of junk. The interior was close to awful. The insulation, those plastic black things that line the doors and windows, were falling apart before I pulled out of the car lot. I only had the car for a year and I had to have the coolant tank replaced, the brakes completely overhauled and after over a thousand dollars in repairs, the car died on the highway. No one would tell me what was wrong with it, so I had to ditch the car. My Mom bought a Chevy Malibu 1 yr older and has had the EXACT same problems. Don't forget about the fuel pump that never got fixed. Do yourself a favor - steer clear!

1997 cavilier z24
By jon on 10/29/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

the car has held up nice other than the paint sracthes easy, i only have 68000 miles on it now and have bought it brand new. in all these years i used synthetic oil, installed a cold air intake. and tires and brakes and a altenator. so i feel real proud of this great purchase

165,000 miles and still running strong
By RICK C on 09/25/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought the car for a 100 bucks 2 yrs ago. It sat in grass for 2 yrs before I bought it so the under-carriage and lower rocker panels are shot. I spent 700 in new brakes, tires, gas tank, wheel bearing, fuel filter and a tune-up and it has ran great since. The 2.2 engine did have a head-gasket leak (weeping coolant outside the block) I added a bottle of hapco head-gasket sealant into the coolant a yr and a 1/2 ago and that fixed it. Gas mileage average is 28mpg's. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and hear that these engines can go well into the 200k range easy.

Good car
By RNA on 09/04/09 20:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

The Cavalier Coupe with the 2.2 OHV is not fast. With the 3 speed auto it is lacking in acceleration, but it is not unbearably slow, and it has good pickup in 2nd gear. Recently replaced Struts, front steering components, and Goodyear Tripletred tires result in an excellent ride, and handling is excellent. It handles curves at speed with a composed, solid feel. The interior is typical of old GM. Some cheap plastic bits, but a simple, easy layout. Brakes have solid pedal feel, along with rapid stops when needed. Lots of backseat room. Right now the A/C compressor needs replaced, but with 127,000 miles, it has lasted a long time. I run Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 Synthetic Blend motor oil.

I will miss this car
By The Dude on 07/05/09 20:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 for a steal of a price at 90,000 some miles. Mostly had regular maintenance done to it, The only thing I wish is I had known more about cars when I got it. I drove this thing though a flood, it performed a fancy winter move that saved my life and it has never broke down on me. Given the model type, plastic bumpers hit a lot by other cars and such yet no problem and engine size. It's at 161,000 right now but will probably only hit around 200,000. All and all I liked this car, but I am thinking I will good ford next due to GM's Bankruptcy.

A base model isn't bad
By Revolver on 06/13/09 14:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I really like my chevy the design is basic enough that you can change out parts easy. Plus all the parts are pretty cheap, the coolant system absolutely suxs. However, if that's all you have to worry about I suppose that's okay. Many people buy cavalier's because they are cheap if you get the base model. You'll be surprised what these things will endure. My went through a flood with no issues, if you keep up to date on the coolant system if will work in many different heats and colds. Mine is a 2.2 liter which sure beats a 1.9 or a 2.0 only thing is I wish the car where a little bit bigger in the front for easy access to parts other than that a good cheap car!

LS Sedan
By BrandonK on 08/07/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 Cavalier sedan since it was new, over 10 years ago and can honestly say I enjoy the vehicle. The engine still runs great with 178,000 miles. I've replaced the high beam light, alternator at 110,000 miles, water pump at 165,000 miles, and the power steering hose at 178,000 miles. I've performed the repairs with my dad, so labor was free, yet the parts only cost about 200.00 total, making the total cost of ownership very reasonable. I drive about 60% highway and usually change the oil every 5,000 miles. The vehicle has consistently averaged 30 MPG at around 40% city and 60% highway. I'm also 6 feet tall and think the vehicle has just the right about the leg room.

Great Little Car!
By bethann591 on 04/15/08 11:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1997 Cavalier used in 2000 with only 50,000 miles on it. It's been a sturdy, reliable, and fun little car. I've put another 74,000 miles on it driving all over the country. Recently I encountered a freak sleet storm in rural Montana and ended up rolling my car in a ditch. I always said I'd drive that car until it died, and boy did I. The car was totaled, but I was able to walk away from the accident with minor scratches and bruises. Thank you, Cavalier! You did you job well!

Lots and lots of miles
By dlilly on 09/22/07 10:14 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with about 54,000 miles on it. It went 20,000 miles before its first oil change (was in college and couldn't afford it) and it is still going strong. I used it as a delivery vehicle, so lots of starts and stops. My brother owns the car now, it has over 201,000 miles on it and still runs great.