1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Was expensive, but so worth it!
By Chelsea on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier, 4 door, white, and gets probably 37 MPG at least! This car has never let me down and is my girly! She's so reliable and I love this car! It's my first car and I'm only 18! We've never had to fix anything yet - except the fluids often - but that was because the car hadn't been moved for over a year, besides maybe the owner driving it around once in a while. Everything is better now! I hope to pass this car on to my kids when they are older! I bought this car at 70,700 miles. At 74,700 now! So I hope she holds up that long! Lol

182,000 and still going strong
By Artsy on 04/05/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it came off a 1- yr lease and had 11,000 miles on it. Over the years have replaced alternator, gasket and thermostat (2x) Did basic oil changes, new tires. Now at 182,000 and the darned thing won't die. Currently getting 33mpg. Drives great, I feel safe in it, and it can plow through the deep snow of a Minnesota winter. Sometimes I'm the only one who makes it to work. Great little car.

I will miss this car
By The Dude on 07/05/09 20:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 for a steal of a price at 90,000 some miles. Mostly had regular maintenance done to it, The only thing I wish is I had known more about cars when I got it. I drove this thing though a flood, it performed a fancy winter move that saved my life and it has never broke down on me. Given the model type, plastic bumpers hit a lot by other cars and such yet no problem and engine size. It's at 161,000 right now but will probably only hit around 200,000. All and all I liked this car, but I am thinking I will good ford next due to GM's Bankruptcy.

A base model isn't bad
By Revolver on 06/13/09 14:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I really like my chevy the design is basic enough that you can change out parts easy. Plus all the parts are pretty cheap, the coolant system absolutely suxs. However, if that's all you have to worry about I suppose that's okay. Many people buy cavalier's because they are cheap if you get the base model. You'll be surprised what these things will endure. My went through a flood with no issues, if you keep up to date on the coolant system if will work in many different heats and colds. Mine is a 2.2 liter which sure beats a 1.9 or a 2.0 only thing is I wish the car where a little bit bigger in the front for easy access to parts other than that a good cheap car!

LS Sedan
By BrandonK on 08/07/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 Cavalier sedan since it was new, over 10 years ago and can honestly say I enjoy the vehicle. The engine still runs great with 178,000 miles. I've replaced the high beam light, alternator at 110,000 miles, water pump at 165,000 miles, and the power steering hose at 178,000 miles. I've performed the repairs with my dad, so labor was free, yet the parts only cost about 200.00 total, making the total cost of ownership very reasonable. I drive about 60% highway and usually change the oil every 5,000 miles. The vehicle has consistently averaged 30 MPG at around 40% city and 60% highway. I'm also 6 feet tall and think the vehicle has just the right about the leg room.

Great For Students!
By foxxy on 01/31/07 13:29 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 9'7 Cavalier sedan from a good friend of mine. It had a little body damage when I bought it but nothing major. They had put a new O2 sensor on it but other than that had no major issues with it. So far the only thing I've had to do to it was put a new water pump on today. I'm a college student and I highly reccomend them to anyone looking for an inexpensice way to get around. Despite below freezing temps, mine has started up almost the first time every time. It's really a great car as long as they're well taken care of. They may not be the fanciest or the fastest car out there, but they're dependable and great fuel mileage. They really have a lot of potential. I love mine to death!

97 Chevy Cavalier
By Kirk M. on 07/21/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm 16 and this is my first car. When I first got my car a year ago I loved it to death and never had a problem out of it. But then this month everything has gone wrong with it. It started to overheat continuously and so I pulled over to check the coolant and there was none in it, so I added some. Then the next day it overheated again and there wasn't any coolant in it. So I drove it back home and tried to turn it off but the engine wouldn't stop running. We unplugged the battery and that didn't work so we messed wtih the alternator and it finally quit running. Then I had to have it towed in because it wouldn't start. Then I found out that the coolant was going into the engine so now it will cost $1000

97 cav
By clh on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

comfortable car nice looking but too frequently in the shop for many minor problems

Mechanical Junk
By ZENITH on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

When you think of the so called horrible American car - this is it. Problem after problem after problem.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THIS!!!!!!
By Poof on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car right out of High School.I din't know what I was doing. This was all I could afford. The only smart thing I did was buy the extended warranty. If I hadn't I would of spent $3000 on fixing it. Gas mileage sucks. I had the rear main seal go, head cover gasket, leak in the fuel injectors, o2 sensor, alternator, oil pump, oil pump sensor, only thing that is still working great is the a/c and coolant system. I can't wait to finish paying it off in Aug 2003. This was my second cavalier and it had nothing but the constantly over heating. I'm talking, going to work and find your coolant broke inside your car, leaking everywhere.