1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
1997 cavilier z24
By jon on 10/29/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

the car has held up nice other than the paint sracthes easy, i only have 68000 miles on it now and have bought it brand new. in all these years i used synthetic oil, installed a cold air intake. and tires and brakes and a altenator. so i feel real proud of this great purchase

Z24 love it
By D White on 01/30/06 09:04 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I inherited this car from a friend who had it for less than a year. I intended to sell it right away, but changed my mind after driving it a bit. For the size and class of car, it's definitely one of the most fun ones I've had. And it loos good! Easy to maintain, and reasonable priced, I truly believe I got a sweet deal.

Another mediocre GM car.
By Peter on 04/29/05 13:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've done all the preventative maintenance to date on my Cavalier. The brakes chatter most, but not all the time. Often cannot get out of 1st or 2nd gear without pumping the clutch. Dealer tried fixing that by overfilling transaxle; a dumb idea. Electric windows are unreliable: sometimes they roll up, sometimes they don't. Power steering groans. Seats offer poor back support and have only two controls. No inside trunk release. Intermittent wipers often don't work. No outside air shut-off. No separate vent shut-offs. Cheap carpet. Engine stumbles, especially when cold, but good power. No passenger window or door controls on driver side. Dash warped; squeaks. Cigarette lighter fell off into unreachable area of dash interior. Minimal instrument panel.

Perfect For Me
By Lorrie99415 on 11/28/04 22:49 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Got this car used, and was a little worried about some things I had heard. So far so good though. Being in college it gets me where I need to go in comfort and style, has plenty of pep, feels nice and sturdy to drive and doesn't cost much in gas at all. Could use an extra cup holder, but other than that I have no complaints. Would definately recommend this as a first car for anyone who is not sure what to get.

By greennirvana102 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

well, ive had the car for about a year now and nothing really has gone wrong with it. its at 120,000 miles and still runs strong. I've put about $1000 in repairs though...... but that was all stuff I knew I had to get. Tires, water pump, and tune up. Overall, great car.

A lot of go for a 4 banger
By greennirvana101 on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

i just bought this car used with a bunch of mods on it... it runs 0-60 in 6.7! its got a lot of go and potential for such a great price

Best Car I Have ever owned
By Nathan Sweeney on 09/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This is by far the best vehicle i have ever owned. I have had a 93 Honda Civic and a 95 jeep Wrangler before the Z24. This thing gets 30 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving, goes 0 - 60 in like 8 seconds, and corners like a mofo. 100mph comes up easily in 5th gear and feels completely stable and in control. Insurance is the same as the 93 Civic for me, a 19 year old male. Had I owned this first, i would have never had the YJ or the Civic. Build quality is flawless in the Z24 except for the paint. Scratches easily. I just want to drive around as much as possible. It's a great car! Looking for a first car? get a Z24, you won't regret it!

Great car
By Great Z-24 on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 3 months now. Its been great the only thing I have had to do is get the water pump replaced. other than that this Z-24 has been great. I've put cold air intake on and it has a really nice deep tone. I've also put euro style lights on and i must say they look great. At 84K it runs very well. the five speen has alot of nuts for a 4 banger... all around great car

Reliable, economy, sport coupe
By seattle, wa on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new right out of college, it was what I could afford at the time. This car has been nothing but great to own and drive. I have had no problems or repairs other than one brake job and new tires! I am about to take it in for its first tune up now that it has over 100K miles. This car run and feels just like it did when it was brand new. My only complaint is that the paint has not held up well, it dings and scratches easily. Otherwise a great car that is very fun to drive and has plenty of power. The people who complain about the lack of power do not have the Z24.

Beautiful car
By reddz24 on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Even though I haven't owned this vehicle very long, I think its a great little sporty compact! It's got plenty of juice for a 4 banger and its great mileage. And theres tons of aftermarket parts for it! I just put a cold air intake in, engine sounds soo deep and nice!!!