1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Reliable, sporty and good on gas.
By chad1893 on 02/29/12 19:49 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased my mettalic green 2dr chevrolet cavalier base at 59,000 miles i was attracted to the value and reliability as well as mpg ratio, it is very smooth on smooth road and at high speeds it is quiet and tight feleling, however bumps are not its friend it handles well and can be parked easily from any angle, the coupe looks sharp when cleaned, the performance is decent its quick under 40mph anything above 40 wait a few seconds unless you want to dig your foot into the pedal, the interior mine being base with a black inerface is pretty nice with a coat of armor all. The rear seats fold down so larger things can be hauled in the trunk like a bicycle. im impressed it 15yrs old.

Car is a BEAST
By hermanson on 08/29/11 17:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My family bought this car was bought 8 years ago with it having 88k miles on it. Everyone in my family has driven it and recently it was handed down from my brother to me and i've had it for about 6 months. The car has about 227k miles on it and still runs strong. one word to describe this car, RELIABLE! car is worth its price and more.

I love my car
By socalqt on 05/13/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My 1997 Chevy Cavalier was my very first car, and I haven't looked back. It's sporty, small, and gets AMAZING gas mileage. A friend and I drove to San Francisco from Los Angeles on one tank of gas and it only costs $40.00 to fill the tank! I bought it at 72,000 miles and I'm up to 103,000+ with little to no problems. No serious mechanical issues so far, the interior kind of fell apart (mostly the previous owners fault). I'm so happy with my car, she's my baby. She's been so good to be and I couldn't be happier!

'97 Cavalier Rally Sport
By jessicab5808 on 04/15/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

It gets you from point A to B, but it rusts easy and overall i HATE it

A freaking amazing car
By Chevy4life on 03/11/10 21:04 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I am a ASE certified Automotive Mechanic so please do not brush me off. This car is a simple yet elegant car that i push to the breaking point every day and its probably in my garage right now laughing at me saying is that all you've got? It needs a few improvements like power windows and about another 40 HP couldn't hurt rither it gets me where i need to go and i know from experience i will probably own this car for the next 10 years at least

great little car
By Mack 55 on 03/07/10 11:41 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car now for 7 years. It has out lasted all of my friends hondas and toyotas. Unlike most people i have a 5 speed in mine and have never had a problem with power out of the 2.2 4 banger. i have only had to replace the clutch at 165000 miles, and an alternator at 180000 miles. this car still has the same spark plugs that came in it when it was new. only problems now are the power windows with not roll up any more. but what do you expect from a 13 year old car. it still gets 33 mpg hiway and 26 city. great little car wish they still made them.

1997 cavilier z24
By jon on 10/29/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

the car has held up nice other than the paint sracthes easy, i only have 68000 miles on it now and have bought it brand new. in all these years i used synthetic oil, installed a cold air intake. and tires and brakes and a altenator. so i feel real proud of this great purchase

165,000 miles and still running strong
By RICK C on 09/25/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought the car for a 100 bucks 2 yrs ago. It sat in grass for 2 yrs before I bought it so the under-carriage and lower rocker panels are shot. I spent 700 in new brakes, tires, gas tank, wheel bearing, fuel filter and a tune-up and it has ran great since. The 2.2 engine did have a head-gasket leak (weeping coolant outside the block) I added a bottle of hapco head-gasket sealant into the coolant a yr and a 1/2 ago and that fixed it. Gas mileage average is 28mpg's. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and hear that these engines can go well into the 200k range easy.

Good car
By RNA on 09/04/09 20:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

The Cavalier Coupe with the 2.2 OHV is not fast. With the 3 speed auto it is lacking in acceleration, but it is not unbearably slow, and it has good pickup in 2nd gear. Recently replaced Struts, front steering components, and Goodyear Tripletred tires result in an excellent ride, and handling is excellent. It handles curves at speed with a composed, solid feel. The interior is typical of old GM. Some cheap plastic bits, but a simple, easy layout. Brakes have solid pedal feel, along with rapid stops when needed. Lots of backseat room. Right now the A/C compressor needs replaced, but with 127,000 miles, it has lasted a long time. I run Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 Synthetic Blend motor oil.

Great Little Car!
By bethann591 on 04/15/08 11:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1997 Cavalier used in 2000 with only 50,000 miles on it. It's been a sturdy, reliable, and fun little car. I've put another 74,000 miles on it driving all over the country. Recently I encountered a freak sleet storm in rural Montana and ended up rolling my car in a ditch. I always said I'd drive that car until it died, and boy did I. The car was totaled, but I was able to walk away from the accident with minor scratches and bruises. Thank you, Cavalier! You did you job well!