1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Never let me down
By cocoaloboco on 03/21/12 17:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and it treated me well, I can't say I returned the favor. I had it from 16-18 and really did no maintenance on it, my dad would top the oil off and that was all the car seen in TLC. it performed well the entire time and I didn't replace any parts. (other than a tire that blew out after a long road trip) I then let the car sit for a year & then sold it to a family friend. it started just fine & he's been driving it for 3 years no with no problems. the car was very reliable and great on gas. My only real complaint is it's made of cheap metal and dents very easily...i leaned against the car and my butt left an indent...

It keeps going.
By Betty97 on 07/01/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 with 120,000 miles on it. It now has 216,000+ miles and doesn't use a drop of oil. I average 28 mpg city and 34 mpg highway. I have had no major issues with this car and have only replace the plugs and wires and the water pump. It's going to be a sad day when it does finally die.

I will miss my baby :(
By Summur on 06/06/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 cavalier used in may of 04, I car ran great I never had any major problems till recently. About a month ago all hell broke loose! Replaced battery, starter, some valves on engine and then fuel pump. She still isn't starting. I have nothing bad to say about her though, she has well over 210,000 miles on her and she is 13 years old. It was hard to let go. She was a very very reliable car.

Say It Ain't So
By Kate on 01/06/10 12:39 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

My first car was a '97 chevy cavalier. I absolutely adored this car, except for the fact she was a piece of junk. The interior was close to awful. The insulation, those plastic black things that line the doors and windows, were falling apart before I pulled out of the car lot. I only had the car for a year and I had to have the coolant tank replaced, the brakes completely overhauled and after over a thousand dollars in repairs, the car died on the highway. No one would tell me what was wrong with it, so I had to ditch the car. My Mom bought a Chevy Malibu 1 yr older and has had the EXACT same problems. Don't forget about the fuel pump that never got fixed. Do yourself a favor - steer clear!

LS Sedan
By John on 08/03/06 13:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Overall a reliable car. Mine has 135,000 miles on it and has never had any engine/transmission work done other than oil changes and tune ups. The engine I have is the 2.4L, so the gas mileage isn't quite as good as the 2.2L. The 2.4 does pack plenty of power though! My car will go up to around 50 mph in 2nd gear if I let it! The only major problem I have had is with a leaky gas tank that was replaced about 130,000 mi. A minor issue that I have is the motors for the power windows are starting to fade. Overall, a great car!

Solid value
By Aerocraft67 on 04/19/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This car was a great value when I bought it new and throughout its lifetime. I just sold it. It's more stylish, powerful, and feature rich for the price compared with alternatives. I could even tow with it. Gratifying acceleration with the 2.4L, which is apparently one of GM's best engines. Repairs became significant, but otherwise normal and routine (i.e., A/C overhaul and water pump replacement near 90k). Otherwise, no major chronic or abnormal problems. Although, I had to replace the windshield twice under otherwise normal conditions. Very favorable price/performance ratio. I agree that criticism is harsh when you consider fair trade-offs at this price point. It served me well.

What's all the complaining about?
By Bill on 07/28/05 13:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I can't believe how poorly people rate the cavalier. This car is inexpensive, fun to drive, great looking for its age (almost 10 year old design) and gets great mpg even with the 2.4 dohc. The more time you spend driving it the more you like it. If people want luxury options they shouldn't rag on the cav. It's an economy car on paper but feels like a lot more when you actually own and drive daily. Stop the complaining. Keep your delusions of grandeur to yourself. Full coverage insurance on the car is very very reasonable. I have full coverage, live in Manhattan and spend less than 1000 a year.

1997 4dr LS
By joek on 05/20/05 19:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Haven't had a bad experience other than one of the cooling fan wires shorted out and had to be replaced. Reliable, excellent on gas and runs good. I woulnd't recommend it as a 'family' car, but it's cheap and easy to maintain and works really well as general transportation.

97 Cavalier
By Joe on 02/25/05 07:41 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Just bought it as a work car. Only had 54,000 miles on it, so not a bad deal. To me the interior is very reminiscent of the 1980s and early 1990s Cavaliers. Most everything seems to be in a logical location. I like the fact that it's cheap, easy to maintain and it's decent on gas. I've driven Cavaliers before, and never had any trouble with them! Although I had forgotten about the loud, droning exhaust note from those GM 4-bangers.

really is a okay car
By natalie8 on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

i have to say i think it is a okay car. i havent had any problems out of it yet!. i think it depends on how you keep a car up. the only thing i dont like is it needs more room and i wish mine had another cup holder in the front.