1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
'97 Cavalier Rally Sport
By jessicab5808 on 04/15/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

It gets you from point A to B, but it rusts easy and overall i HATE it

great little car
By Mack 55 on 03/07/10 11:41 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car now for 7 years. It has out lasted all of my friends hondas and toyotas. Unlike most people i have a 5 speed in mine and have never had a problem with power out of the 2.2 4 banger. i have only had to replace the clutch at 165000 miles, and an alternator at 180000 miles. this car still has the same spark plugs that came in it when it was new. only problems now are the power windows with not roll up any more. but what do you expect from a 13 year old car. it still gets 33 mpg hiway and 26 city. great little car wish they still made them.

Great Little Car!
By bethann591 on 04/15/08 11:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1997 Cavalier used in 2000 with only 50,000 miles on it. It's been a sturdy, reliable, and fun little car. I've put another 74,000 miles on it driving all over the country. Recently I encountered a freak sleet storm in rural Montana and ended up rolling my car in a ditch. I always said I'd drive that car until it died, and boy did I. The car was totaled, but I was able to walk away from the accident with minor scratches and bruises. Thank you, Cavalier! You did you job well!

You get what you pay for
By baldylocks1976 on 09/16/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

Owned this car for 5 years. Replaced the alternator twice, replaced the water pump a month after the first alternator. Had to replace the negative battery cable and the only replacement available was from the dealership for $80. When it came time for the 100,000 mile tune up, I had to have the head repaired because it had warped.

A Cheap car in many ways
By KidsCar on 03/07/07 12:05 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

Although it didn't cost much to buy as a used car, it has cost relatively a lot since I bought it. Head gasket $1000, rear shocks $300, alternator $300, not including tires and brakes (normal wear items). Although it looked great when I bought it for my daughter, I wish I'd spent more on a Civic or Corolla and would have ended up with a better car. It has annoying issues like a leaky trunk seal, poor paint on bumpers, slipping door seals, etc. I had not purchased an "American car" in several years - this product reaffirms why.

Great fun car
By drkoz0123 on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

My Cavi was my 2nd car. I was looking for something sporty, reliable, and more safe than my previous car to go back and forth to college. Currently have 64000 miles. Only had a few problems but nothing major. One of them was recalled 2 years later and GM has been great to refund then money. It's great on fuel. Does OK when it's really cold, I've been stuck without a vehicle because it was too cold a few times. Seats are a little uncomfortable and bad for very tall and/or larger people. Needs more cup holders. Needs a better stereo system which I changed. The seat that folds down in back is great to haul stuff. Seems to dent and scratch easy.

Great car for the cost.
By Leslie Lou on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This was the first car I ever purchased, I still love it as much now as I did when I rove it off the lot 7 years ago with only 7 miles on it. The paint is a little weak scratches way to easy. Lot of ratteling in the dash board from the ashtray to the defroster grill to the glove box, thank goodness I have a nice stock stereo system in the car.

Not bad for a cheapo!
By ford8n1 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

Bought it with some problems namely a rebuilt title but lady bought it from drove it for about 30K and 2 years so thought not bad plus bought it "cheap!" For a plain jane car it does have a smell of what I call reliability and a proven nameplate. Hey after all what is "transportation" all about?

The Heavy Chevy!
By All-around Pleased on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

The Cavalier has been a really good car for me and my family. It has a sporty look, but is pretty easy on the wallet. Gets great mileage (thanks to the automatic transmission) and has ample power for long time travel. Only problems I've had, except for routine maintenance, is head gasket replaced around 80,000 miles, water pump replaced at 81,000 miles, car main computer down around 90,000 miles (replaced with used one), and alternator replaced around 95,000 miles. Sounds like a lot, but was very reasonably priced to fix (especially if you know some good "private" mechanics). All in all, not much to ask for a really hard ridden car.

Pleasantly surprised!
By car_buyer on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

This was my first car ever and it turned out to be good choice. I have heard from some people that they had problems with this car but mine has tunred out to be a quality car. No repairs at all other than some recalls. I only had to change the oil regularly and tires and breaks once in 90,000 miles.