Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

'97 Cavalier Rally Sport
By jessicab5808

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

It gets you from point A to B, but it rusts easy and overall i HATE it

Favorite Features

5 speed

Suggested Improvements

brake system

great little car
By Mack 55

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I have had this car now for 7 years. It has out lasted all of my friends hondas and toyotas. Unlike most people i have a 5 speed in mine and have never had a problem with power out of the 2.2 4 banger. i have only had to replace the clutch at 165000 miles, and an alternator at 180000 miles. this car still has the same spark plugs that came in it when it was new. only problems now are the power windows with not roll up any more. but what do you expect from a 13 year old car. it still gets 33 mpg hiway and 26 city. great little car wish they still made them.

Favorite Features

like just about everything in this car.

Suggested Improvements

the seats needed some help

Great Little Car!
By bethann591

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1997 Cavalier used in 2000 with only 50,000 miles on it. It's been a sturdy, reliable, and fun little car. I've put another 74,000 miles on it driving all over the country. Recently I encountered a freak sleet storm in rural Montana and ended up rolling my car in a ditch. I always said I'd drive that car until it died, and boy did I. The car was totaled, but I was able to walk away from the accident with minor scratches and bruises. Thank you, Cavalier! You did you job well!

Favorite Features

Great body styling, great gas mileage, fun to drive, fold-down back seat

Suggested Improvements

Interior fell apart quickly (mostly made of plastic), better placement of cup holders

You get what you pay for
By baldylocks1976

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

Owned this car for 5 years. Replaced the alternator twice, replaced the water pump a month after the first alternator. Had to replace the negative battery cable and the only replacement available was from the dealership for $80. When it came time for the 100,000 mile tune up, I had to have the head repaired because it had warped.

Favorite Features

Great A/C and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, better engine parts

A Cheap car in many ways
By KidsCar

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

Although it didn't cost much to buy as a used car, it has cost relatively a lot since I bought it. Head gasket $1000, rear shocks $300, alternator $300, not including tires and brakes (normal wear items). Although it looked great when I bought it for my daughter, I wish I'd spent more on a Civic or Corolla and would have ended up with a better car. It has annoying issues like a leaky trunk seal, poor paint on bumpers, slipping door seals, etc. I had not purchased an "American car" in several years - this product reaffirms why.

Favorite Features

It handles pretty well, and feels "heavy" or "solid", so seems safer it it were to be in a crash.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering - apply some to almost every feature of this car. The Cobalt that replaces it is better than this, but that's the wrong benchmark to work from. Need to truly target the best in class - Honda and Toyota.