1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Reliable, sporty and good on gas.
By chad1893 on 02/29/12 19:49 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I purchased my mettalic green 2dr chevrolet cavalier base at 59,000 miles i was attracted to the value and reliability as well as mpg ratio, it is very smooth on smooth road and at high speeds it is quiet and tight feleling, however bumps are not its friend it handles well and can be parked easily from any angle, the coupe looks sharp when cleaned, the performance is decent its quick under 40mph anything above 40 wait a few seconds unless you want to dig your foot into the pedal, the interior mine being base with a black inerface is pretty nice with a coat of armor all. The rear seats fold down so larger things can be hauled in the trunk like a bicycle. im impressed it 15yrs old.

Car is a BEAST
By hermanson on 08/29/11 17:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

My family bought this car was bought 8 years ago with it having 88k miles on it. Everyone in my family has driven it and recently it was handed down from my brother to me and i've had it for about 6 months. The car has about 227k miles on it and still runs strong. one word to describe this car, RELIABLE! car is worth its price and more.

I love my car
By socalqt on 05/13/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

My 1997 Chevy Cavalier was my very first car, and I haven't looked back. It's sporty, small, and gets AMAZING gas mileage. A friend and I drove to San Francisco from Los Angeles on one tank of gas and it only costs $40.00 to fill the tank! I bought it at 72,000 miles and I'm up to 103,000+ with little to no problems. No serious mechanical issues so far, the interior kind of fell apart (mostly the previous owners fault). I'm so happy with my car, she's my baby. She's been so good to be and I couldn't be happier!

A freaking amazing car
By Chevy4life on 03/11/10 21:04 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I am a ASE certified Automotive Mechanic so please do not brush me off. This car is a simple yet elegant car that i push to the breaking point every day and its probably in my garage right now laughing at me saying is that all you've got? It needs a few improvements like power windows and about another 40 HP couldn't hurt rither it gets me where i need to go and i know from experience i will probably own this car for the next 10 years at least

165,000 miles and still running strong
By RICK C on 09/25/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought the car for a 100 bucks 2 yrs ago. It sat in grass for 2 yrs before I bought it so the under-carriage and lower rocker panels are shot. I spent 700 in new brakes, tires, gas tank, wheel bearing, fuel filter and a tune-up and it has ran great since. The 2.2 engine did have a head-gasket leak (weeping coolant outside the block) I added a bottle of hapco head-gasket sealant into the coolant a yr and a 1/2 ago and that fixed it. Gas mileage average is 28mpg's. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and hear that these engines can go well into the 200k range easy.

Good car
By RNA on 09/04/09 20:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

The Cavalier Coupe with the 2.2 OHV is not fast. With the 3 speed auto it is lacking in acceleration, but it is not unbearably slow, and it has good pickup in 2nd gear. Recently replaced Struts, front steering components, and Goodyear Tripletred tires result in an excellent ride, and handling is excellent. It handles curves at speed with a composed, solid feel. The interior is typical of old GM. Some cheap plastic bits, but a simple, easy layout. Brakes have solid pedal feel, along with rapid stops when needed. Lots of backseat room. Right now the A/C compressor needs replaced, but with 127,000 miles, it has lasted a long time. I run Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 Synthetic Blend motor oil.

Lots and lots of miles
By dlilly on 09/22/07 10:14 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with about 54,000 miles on it. It went 20,000 miles before its first oil change (was in college and couldn't afford it) and it is still going strong. I used it as a delivery vehicle, so lots of starts and stops. My brother owns the car now, it has over 201,000 miles on it and still runs great.

I got my money's worth
By vandy on 01/05/06 23:50 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Wow -- I got my money's worth and then some -- paid a shade over $11k (about the same # of miles on it at the time), and proceeded to run this thing into the ground. Just died 2 days ago (head gasket) with a whopping 179,000 miles. I have no complaints about this car. This car took out a deer at 65mph and did not blink (broken headlight, slightly dented hood). was also rear- ended (at speed) on the interstate by an old fella in a Buick. dented my license plate (slightly), while his grille/hood were a complete mess. I dealt with the slight rattles/noises the car developed (plastic covering tach/odometer display had an odd unrepariable squeak) because it never had any mechanical problems.

Love my car
By christi on 12/02/05 22:01 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I drive my car a lot, and I absolutly love it. It's an older car, but I wouldn't want to get rid of it till it died on me, and once that happens i'll definitely get another one like it. It's easy to drive, and it did great in the snow surprisingly. I've taken it on road trips and it was pretty comfortable over a long drive. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

Reliable Runabout
By CJ on 06/17/05 19:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with an extended warranty, shortly thereafter the water pump went. I had regrets buying it, thinking the reliability would be bad. Very few problems since then. The O2 sensor went ($20 to replace). A/C needed a leak fixed, and a small oil leak fixed, all cheap fixes. Few problems for an 8 year old car. Ride and interior leave much to be desired. Lots of squeaks, and very soft ride. Cheap looking inside, and some fragile plastic pieces. Power was fine with the manual tranny. Engine note was quiet, albeit a souless "whir." Gas mileage was very good (33).