1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Never let me down
By cocoaloboco on 03/21/12 17:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and it treated me well, I can't say I returned the favor. I had it from 16-18 and really did no maintenance on it, my dad would top the oil off and that was all the car seen in TLC. it performed well the entire time and I didn't replace any parts. (other than a tire that blew out after a long road trip) I then let the car sit for a year & then sold it to a family friend. it started just fine & he's been driving it for 3 years no with no problems. the car was very reliable and great on gas. My only real complaint is it's made of cheap metal and dents very easily...i leaned against the car and my butt left an indent...

Reliable, sporty and good on gas.
By chad1893 on 02/29/12 19:49 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I purchased my mettalic green 2dr chevrolet cavalier base at 59,000 miles i was attracted to the value and reliability as well as mpg ratio, it is very smooth on smooth road and at high speeds it is quiet and tight feleling, however bumps are not its friend it handles well and can be parked easily from any angle, the coupe looks sharp when cleaned, the performance is decent its quick under 40mph anything above 40 wait a few seconds unless you want to dig your foot into the pedal, the interior mine being base with a black inerface is pretty nice with a coat of armor all. The rear seats fold down so larger things can be hauled in the trunk like a bicycle. im impressed it 15yrs old.

Car is a BEAST
By hermanson on 08/29/11 17:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

My family bought this car was bought 8 years ago with it having 88k miles on it. Everyone in my family has driven it and recently it was handed down from my brother to me and i've had it for about 6 months. The car has about 227k miles on it and still runs strong. one word to describe this car, RELIABLE! car is worth its price and more.

Was expensive, but so worth it!
By Chelsea on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier, 4 door, white, and gets probably 37 MPG at least! This car has never let me down and is my girly! She's so reliable and I love this car! It's my first car and I'm only 18! We've never had to fix anything yet - except the fluids often - but that was because the car hadn't been moved for over a year, besides maybe the owner driving it around once in a while. Everything is better now! I hope to pass this car on to my kids when they are older! I bought this car at 70,700 miles. At 74,700 now! So I hope she holds up that long! Lol

It keeps going.
By Betty97 on 07/01/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 with 120,000 miles on it. It now has 216,000+ miles and doesn't use a drop of oil. I average 28 mpg city and 34 mpg highway. I have had no major issues with this car and have only replace the plugs and wires and the water pump. It's going to be a sad day when it does finally die.

I will miss my baby :(
By Summur on 06/06/10 19:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 cavalier used in may of 04, I car ran great I never had any major problems till recently. About a month ago all hell broke loose! Replaced battery, starter, some valves on engine and then fuel pump. She still isn't starting. I have nothing bad to say about her though, she has well over 210,000 miles on her and she is 13 years old. It was hard to let go. She was a very very reliable car.

I love my car
By socalqt on 05/13/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

My 1997 Chevy Cavalier was my very first car, and I haven't looked back. It's sporty, small, and gets AMAZING gas mileage. A friend and I drove to San Francisco from Los Angeles on one tank of gas and it only costs $40.00 to fill the tank! I bought it at 72,000 miles and I'm up to 103,000+ with little to no problems. No serious mechanical issues so far, the interior kind of fell apart (mostly the previous owners fault). I'm so happy with my car, she's my baby. She's been so good to be and I couldn't be happier!

'97 Cavalier Rally Sport
By jessicab5808 on 04/15/10 05:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier RS 2dr Coupe

It gets you from point A to B, but it rusts easy and overall i HATE it

182,000 and still going strong
By Artsy on 04/05/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it came off a 1- yr lease and had 11,000 miles on it. Over the years have replaced alternator, gasket and thermostat (2x) Did basic oil changes, new tires. Now at 182,000 and the darned thing won't die. Currently getting 33mpg. Drives great, I feel safe in it, and it can plow through the deep snow of a Minnesota winter. Sometimes I'm the only one who makes it to work. Great little car.

A freaking amazing car
By Chevy4life on 03/11/10 21:04 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I am a ASE certified Automotive Mechanic so please do not brush me off. This car is a simple yet elegant car that i push to the breaking point every day and its probably in my garage right now laughing at me saying is that all you've got? It needs a few improvements like power windows and about another 40 HP couldn't hurt rither it gets me where i need to go and i know from experience i will probably own this car for the next 10 years at least