1996 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Junk!!!
By Nichole on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I, like so many other Cavalier owners, have had too many problems with the car to find it enjoyable. To start with: the muffler rattles, the a/c only works on high, the glove box has traped my cd's inside of it, the driver's side mirror refuses to stay upright, it will not start if there is less than 1/4 tank of gas, the thing just eats oil like there is no tomorrow, and sometimes the car will turn off as I am backing up.

Good for a first car
By Krista on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I am 16 and my parents bought me my cavalier. It had 115,000 miles on it when I bought it! It is a '96! Despite the high miles, it has been nothing but reliable. Being a teenage girl and not knowing a lot about cars I need a car I can depend on. I can depend on this car.

Mary's Review
By mary smith on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I think this car is great

It is ok
By Ryan on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Not the best car in the world but it gets ou around.

I LOVE MY CAR!
By Deeee on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

I bought my car in the summer of 1999. With the exception of a couple of recalls, and a new ignition coil, I have had no problems with this car. I wouldn't recommend getting a white top, as it is impossible to get it clean. Other than that, I love it and I love the dealership I bought it from.

Bad Chevy
By Usedtolikechevys on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car still under factory warrenty. Immediately the lifters started knocking, interior rattled, muffler began making an obnoxious rattle. Right after Chevy sent a notice that the head gaskets were defective the engine blew up. Next engine has had nothing but problems - emissions and drivability. 2 dealers and 1 independant shop cannot figure it out.

Not what it's cracked up to be
By Scrubb on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new. Immediately the interior trim started to rattle, which I can't stand. Soon after, the interior trim started to fall apart including the center armrest lid, seat trim and finally the seat itself. I found that the paint job chipped and scratched very easily. It didn't seem thick enough. The muffler began a strange and bothersome rattling at only 25k. The head gasket failed at about 50k and the water pump failed at about 55k.

Loving it
By NCS on 03/17/02 22:49 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first car that I actually owned, a 5-speed Z24. What a great fun little car. I got it with over 130k kms, and am now over 170k after a little over a year. The jump for a car in this class is great, much more $ is usually needed to get anything worthwhile the torque department. Very few minor repairs, and regular maintenance keep things going smoothly. I've also drive a 1990 Corsica with over 500,000kms on it driving in northern Ontario for 9+ years and it still runs fine...whats that about North American cars again? I've got nothing bad to say about it.

Same problems as others.
By James Nemanich on 03/15/02 12:31 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Convertible

I just wanted to say that I am having the same problems others are having. Transmission out, electronic fuel sending system (Controlls fuel guage) replaced 2 times, waterpump, heater core, wheel berings, window motors. GM sold these with the new Dex Cool engine coolant. Around 1999 they discovered this was breaking down and causing internal engine rust. I'd trade in before 70k.

Small , Fast, Fun, and American made.
By BodasZ24 on 02/28/02 22:21 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new as a dealer leftover. Had 3500 miles was driven by service manager. Car is a blast to drive have had minor problems waterpump, cooling fan, basic stuff any home mechanic can fix. Overall has been a very dependable car.