Used 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Reliable car
By Donald stavish

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I have had no costly repairs to talk about

Like the low drive and comfort of the seats and the seating position

Changed the exterior design

Isn't there a lemon law?
By eakwave

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I have had to fix or replace the air conditioning, brakes, clutch, head gasket, and two valves before I even hit 50,000 miles. Of course, most of this happened about six hours after the warranty was up so it all came out of pocket. Gotta love Chevy.

At least they fix all the recalls for free.

There isn't enough space...

great car
By chevygirl96

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

This has been my favorite vehicle. I love chevys and I love this car. It handles very well and goes through the snow almost as well as my husbands 4 wheel drive blazer.

I like the manual transmission and the heater is awesome.

A good car for the money
By KMadhouse

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier with 110k miles on it in 2001, I have 140k on it now and have been pretty happy with it. The water pump seems to go on these between 105k and 115k, so watch out for that. Backseat's kinda small, hard to get things in and out of. I replaced the transmission at about 130k, which was a pain. Still has some pickup despite the mileage, but the 4-speed automatics are a bit punchier. The paint job on it has held up really well, it still looks fairly new. Overall, it's a nice little flashy, pretty dependable car. I'd get another newer one.

Great on gas, i still get a good 30 mpg on the highway. Still has some pickup. The body still looks nice. Front end and handling is still in real good shape, and the folding back seats are nice for big things in the trunk.

Waterpump (let go at 120k). Transmission (let go at 130k). Gas guage (if it's on 1/4, it's empty, was like that when i bought it).

What a Great Car!
By Jeff83

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I special ordered this car and have been the only owner for seven years and 61000 miles of trouble free ownership. Had it for five years before I had to do anything to it other than oil changes because the battery started leaking.It is almost 8 years old now and the only major repair has been to replace the water pump for a heafty 800 dollar bill last year.It still has the origional rear brakes and all 4 struts.I got 50000 miles out of the origional tires. No rattles,leaks or anything that does not work. Overall a great car!

Fun to drive,sporty exterior,good value for the money.

Needs more front seat headroom with the sunroof. Better clutch and transmission function.