1996 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Fun, reliable Car!!!
By Ann Krueger on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Not a bad car at all. I purchased it as a newer car that had some miles on it. I went to the dealership when I was living in downtown Chicago and was going to college full time. I told the salesman that I wanted a reliable, sporty car that was small and had good gas milage that I was able to afford. The first car he showed me was the one I still own to this day and am happy with!

My Cavilier
By Mikeh on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

I am 46 Years Old and this is by far the best car I have ever owned! It has 200,000 Miles on It and is still going strong. The two biggest drawbacks about the Cavilier are the interior Plastic door panels, dash parts etc. (which break and crack from normal use) and the Air Conditioning system which devolped more leaks than any car I have owned! The repair on the A/C System would cost more than the vehicle value. But it does keep going and going!

Excellent Car
By Savage on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

As a proud owner of a 96 Chevy Z24 for around 6 years now, I have enjoyed owning this car and never once regreted buying it. It's powerful 2.4 twin cam engine and 155lbs of torque give it a fun sporty feeling of driving and its sleek sporty look is even better. Great reliabilty and perfect for anyone to own

7 years and counting...
By iowadoc on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Bought it new and now have 133000 miles. Only one significant repair (just off warranty). I just did my first tune up! Runs like a tank, reasonably comfortable, handles very well, fun to drive. I plan on going 200,000 with it. On the highway I get about 33 mpg or better. The engine will still be running when the body falls off. I've owned at least 10 cars and this is my favorite.

Cavaliers are BAD buys
By Molly on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan

Everything has gone wrong with this car in the past year. From the motor mounts to the rack in the rack and pinion steering to the struts.

96 CHEVY
By DEBBIE on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

IT IS A GREAT CAR FOR ANY AGE GROUP.

fooled
By miffed on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Had a chevy z-24 prior to buying the standard 2 door coupe and loved it!! So much has gone wrong with this car I dont even know where to start. The transmision is new, the engine gasket, numerous brake problems, water pump, new trunk latch, alternator, and much more that I am forgeting about at the moment. I am so fed up with chevy that I now refuse to buy another GM product!!! I would advise any one looking into buying a car to stay away from the cavalier. The only good thing about the car is the sticker price but you will end up paying alot more.

I love the Z24
By domesticdemon on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This car is great, even thought i bought it used, it still is a great car.

I love this car!
By hummgbird on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe

Bought the car brand new, with 15 miles on it. After 114,856 miles.. it still purrs. Haven't had a lick of trouble. Just normal wear & tear. I love my car and would recommend it to everyone.

Good 1st car. dont fall in luv too quick
By ewest on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

i bought my cavy in 96 and was in love wit the looks. the dealership also told me it was very safe with the "steel cage" and all--5*'s. but after i bought it i read on edmunds and other sites that the safety was iffy at best. i havent had many problems with it outside of the faulty circuitry that makes my "check engine" light stay on all the time. i wouldnt recommend it to anyone other than a teen as a first car. but you should DEFINITELY upgrade the engine and stereo system.