1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews 3

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

1996 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Isn't there a lemon law?
By eakwave

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have had to fix or replace the air conditioning, brakes, clutch, head gasket, and two valves before I even hit 50,000 miles. Of course, most of this happened about six hours after the warranty was up so it all came out of pocket. Gotta love Chevy.

Favorite Features

At least they fix all the recalls for free.

Suggested Improvements

There isn't enough space...

great car
By chevygirl96

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This has been my favorite vehicle. I love chevys and I love this car. It handles very well and goes through the snow almost as well as my husbands 4 wheel drive blazer.

Favorite Features

I like the manual transmission and the heater is awesome.

A good car for the money
By KMadhouse

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier with 110k miles on it in 2001, I have 140k on it now and have been pretty happy with it. The water pump seems to go on these between 105k and 115k, so watch out for that. Backseat's kinda small, hard to get things in and out of. I replaced the transmission at about 130k, which was a pain. Still has some pickup despite the mileage, but the 4-speed automatics are a bit punchier. The paint job on it has held up really well, it still looks fairly new. Overall, it's a nice little flashy, pretty dependable car. I'd get another newer one.

Favorite Features

Great on gas, i still get a good 30 mpg on the highway. Still has some pickup. The body still looks nice. Front end and handling is still in real good shape, and the folding back seats are nice for big things in the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Waterpump (let go at 120k). Transmission (let go at 130k). Gas guage (if it's on 1/4, it's empty, was like that when i bought it).

What a Great Car!
By Jeff83

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I special ordered this car and have been the only owner for seven years and 61000 miles of trouble free ownership. Had it for five years before I had to do anything to it other than oil changes because the battery started leaking.It is almost 8 years old now and the only major repair has been to replace the water pump for a heafty 800 dollar bill last year.It still has the origional rear brakes and all 4 struts.I got 50000 miles out of the origional tires. No rattles,leaks or anything that does not work. Overall a great car!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive,sporty exterior,good value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more front seat headroom with the sunroof. Better clutch and transmission function.

96' Z24
By kingcarz1

Great car when it runs, The Quad 4 was a down fall for GM, as with fuel pumps

Big Problems and Hefty Bills
By midnyte_sun

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since 1998 and it ran fine for the first year and a half. Then it started having all kinds of problems. At 85,000 miles I've had these problems: Electronic Modulator busted, water pump busted, engine constantly overheats, a/c, vent, heating only works at max, catalytic converter busted, oxygen sensors malfunctioned, and I get horrible gas mileage : 275 miles on a full tank. (I'll be nice and won't even include new tires, shocks, struts, brakes, etc). Total repairs: $7,000+

Favorite Features

Very nice looking car. 16-inch tires, 5-star rims, sport suspension, ground effects and sleek spoiler give this car a very sexy look.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs to have better reliability and more durable parts.

This car saved my husband's life
By GBate

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

We bought this car in 1996 new. We never really had any major problems with it. It was good on gas mileage and when our children were small, it was comfortable for them. As they grew; however, the back seat was too small for anyone over 5'. My husband was side swiped on a major highway and crashed into a guardrail at 60mph. The car was totaled but he walked away. I give credit to the solid build of this car.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the electrical system and the comfort of the seats.

Z-24 Review
By Joe Hydralics

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for two years now. I can say that it is a reliable car that is sporty and fun to drive. I have put 29000 miles on it so far, and it now has 85000 miles. No major mechanical problems have come up yet, though the struts are in need of replacing. The 5-speed manual is easy to opperate, but it will slip out of reverse from time to time.

best car
By cavy

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

this car is the best car i've ever had it's amazing. its powerful, fast sporty and runs perfectly.

Favorite Features

sun roof, cruise control, cd player

Suggested Improvements

none

Good Car
By Sugasara14

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is a very good car. I havent had any problems with it. It has a lot of power for a 4 cylinder.

Favorite Features

Mine is how it is shaped because it has a really cute shape to it.