1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
LOVE IT!
By Jeanine on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 15,000 on it. In one year I put over 24,000 on it. It still ran beautifully. I had no "major" problems. The plastic did start to crack and make little peices fall off like the seat belt cover. However this is a small price to pay for the relability and the hassle free ownership of the car. I just totaled the car by rear-ending someone going 65mph. I have to say if it weren't for the air bags and the strudyness of the car, I would have a lot more than bruises on my body. I'd reccommend this car to anyone, in fact I just bought a 97!

cav
By fdaklf on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is well worth the value. I strongly suggest it.

Great car for the price
By pmlinn on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car in 1996 because I need a work car. Bought new and have had little or no real problems with the car. After 97500 miles, the brakes did need done and that was it. Can't complain one bit. A fine GM product.

96 cav
By 96chevy on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Just getting rid of this car after over 103,000 miles due to a blown gasket. Only other significant repair was air conditioning system around 75,000 miles. It was a reliable, affordable car.

My Cavilier
By Mikeh on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am 46 Years Old and this is by far the best car I have ever owned! It has 200,000 Miles on It and is still going strong. The two biggest drawbacks about the Cavilier are the interior Plastic door panels, dash parts etc. (which break and crack from normal use) and the Air Conditioning system which devolped more leaks than any car I have owned! The repair on the A/C System would cost more than the vehicle value. But it does keep going and going!

7 years and counting...
By iowadoc on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought it new and now have 133000 miles. Only one significant repair (just off warranty). I just did my first tune up! Runs like a tank, reasonably comfortable, handles very well, fun to drive. I plan on going 200,000 with it. On the highway I get about 33 mpg or better. The engine will still be running when the body falls off. I've owned at least 10 cars and this is my favorite.

Cavaliers are BAD buys
By Molly on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

Everything has gone wrong with this car in the past year. From the motor mounts to the rack in the rack and pinion steering to the struts.

Good 1st car. dont fall in luv too quick
By ewest on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

i bought my cavy in 96 and was in love wit the looks. the dealership also told me it was very safe with the "steel cage" and all--5*'s. but after i bought it i read on edmunds and other sites that the safety was iffy at best. i havent had many problems with it outside of the faulty circuitry that makes my "check engine" light stay on all the time. i wouldnt recommend it to anyone other than a teen as a first car. but you should DEFINITELY upgrade the engine and stereo system.

Mary's Review
By mary smith on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I think this car is great

Bad Chevy
By Usedtolikechevys on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car still under factory warrenty. Immediately the lifters started knocking, interior rattled, muffler began making an obnoxious rattle. Right after Chevy sent a notice that the head gaskets were defective the engine blew up. Next engine has had nothing but problems - emissions and drivability. 2 dealers and 1 independant shop cannot figure it out.