1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Fun car - I was unlucky
By quakk on 05/01/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first car out of school. For a 4 cylinder, it was fast and fun, great in the Arizona mountains. The seats folded down to allow transport of a bike, hockey goals, etc. I enjoyed the car, but would have liked a bit more pep. I opted for the 5spd manual. After 2 years and 36k miles, the clutch went out. Could have been me, but I've been driving a manual since 1989 and have never burned out another clutch. Sounds like my experience is the exception rather than the rule.

I love my car
By mandy on 02/26/09 16:31 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Purchased for $800 from a family member who needed $$, who can beat that?! Was wrecked before,don't know anything about the prior history, but it's been my baby. 28-33 mpg still! Replaced alternator & fixed break fluid leak shortly after purchase. Replaced motor at a little over 170K, 2 yrs ago, $900, cheaper than a new car. At 217K now & still rolling. Oil send unit went out a few months ago,replaced. Having a bit of off-and-on trouble w/the low beam lights(a wiring prob.) Having trouble locating the problem bc of course it doesn't happen when my mechanic has it! LOL No big since I don't drive at night much & if I do I just drive my other vehicle.

Most fun inexpensive coupe you can get!
By Brian on 11/19/07 09:38 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought my Z24 for $3000 in Dec. 2006, and I have loved every minute of driving it. It has more horsepower and torque than any available new car less then $20,000. I get 30 mpg driving in city highway traffic to work. Takes corners very well. Seats are pretty well designed except maybe a little too firm. The plastic upholstry cracks pretty. Had to replace quite a few standard wear and tear parts after I bought it but no water pump yet. I couldn't ask for more from a $3000 car.

One amazing car
By jayman on 11/12/07 06:56 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I truthfuly just needed a car with good fuel mileage. I never thought I would sit down in a little 5 speed rocket that gets 34 miles to the gallon on the highway. I have had my Cavalier for about 2 weeks and I have not had any problems with it at all, I bought it for $1500 from an individual who took really good car of it. It's only got 100,780 miles and it runs amazing. I was really suprised when it out performed a new Scion Tc. I will keep this car till it dies, or until I die which ever comes first.

Good 1st car out of college
By ddemania on 11/11/05 17:08 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought this car (Z24 Coupe) right out of college, and am now after 9-yrs moving on to bigger (mini-van) days. The car served me will through 9-yrs, some maintenance problems, especially in the last year which has pushed me to sell.

Great daily driver
By amp108 on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This is a great car and very reliable. I have never had to have any major work or any problems with anything on the car. The car gets very good gas mileage (25-30) and is quick compared to other compacts.

solid car
By jonesy169 on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 53000 miles on it and three years later its now at 118000 and was still going strong (some bozo crashed into me and it got totaled). It was extremely dependable and the only issues i had with it were normal things like an alternator, brakes, battery, and a map sensor. It got great milage (30mpg hwy) and was peppy for a compact.

What a Great Car!
By Jeff83 on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I special ordered this car and have been the only owner for seven years and 61000 miles of trouble free ownership. Had it for five years before I had to do anything to it other than oil changes because the battery started leaking.It is almost 8 years old now and the only major repair has been to replace the water pump for a heafty 800 dollar bill last year.It still has the origional rear brakes and all 4 struts.I got 50000 miles out of the origional tires. No rattles,leaks or anything that does not work. Overall a great car!

96' Z24
By kingcarz1 on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Great car when it runs, The Quad 4 was a down fall for GM, as with fuel pumps

Big Problems and Hefty Bills
By midnyte_sun on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since 1998 and it ran fine for the first year and a half. Then it started having all kinds of problems. At 85,000 miles I've had these problems: Electronic Modulator busted, water pump busted, engine constantly overheats, a/c, vent, heating only works at max, catalytic converter busted, oxygen sensors malfunctioned, and I get horrible gas mileage : 275 miles on a full tank. (I'll be nice and won't even include new tires, shocks, struts, brakes, etc). Total repairs: $7,000+