1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Trusty Rusty
By luckyday on 01/30/12 12:05 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I had this car from 2004-2011 and only needed to have routine maintenance done on it....until the end. The clutch blew, had it fixed cheap by a friend, a few months later the exhaust fell off. At that point, I figured it would just nickle and dime me to death so I took it to a salvage yard. In the time that I had the vehicle though, it was a great little car.

Not a Ferrari, but under credited cars.
By chogan85 on 07/29/09 14:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

If your looking for a good first car for you teenager, do not dismiss this car despite GM's reliability and quality record. I am now 23 and looking for a newer used car but I have to stand up for the Cavalier, she's been an overall great little sporty car. With the 3spd auto, (some performance mods) respectable torque, decent stock suspension, the 2.2l 2200 engine may not pump out a lot of mind blowing horsepower, but it's been a very reliable engine. Acceleration could be a bit better for its class. Awesome gas mileage (*with* performance mods!) With a WAI, catback exhaust and performance header, I get 26 city and 31 highway. The interior isn't that bad, overall pretty basic and comfortable

Can't wait to get rid of it!
By Jon on 05/05/09 23:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 68,000 miles on it, and it was in OK condition. 4 years later I'm at 92,000 miles and I can't wait to get rid of it. I have massive oil leaks from several spots on the engine, my radiator hoses blew a few months ago and I too have headlight issues due to faulty wiring. Road/wind noise is unbearable, more so then the constant chatter of the plastic interior and rattling of the suspension. On cold and rainy days the engine tends to flood itself. ALL the seals leak in this car leading the interior and trunk to get wet. The entire electrical system in this car is horrible. Apart from the headlight problems, the electrical system tends to give out at high speeds.

Happens all at once
By Jeff on 05/03/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My car has been fine no big problems. I had to have brakes and the air went out. I keep smelling gas so if everything starts to happen then the car is falling apart. Before the gas smell the car was great.

One of Chevy's best
By khoist on 04/27/08 09:44 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have the five speed model, and it's a blast to drive. Repairs are somewhat inexpensive, and It's dependable. Switching from my 1997 Taurus this car is more upgradeable

Good Car
By 1996 Chevy Cavalier on 02/05/08 09:27 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I really love my Chevy Cavalier. I have had it since 2000 and I am the third owner. I bought it at 56000 miles and it now has 219000 on it. I have only had regular maintance on it except for around 70000 I had to replace the head gasket which is normal for these cars.

American tough
By IDLE13 on 03/21/06 08:08 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car a few months ago cheap! Its been super reliable and gets great gas mileage. Perfect for someone on a tight buget or someone looking to mod a car. With its OHV engine it produce good steady power.

I love my car!
By lia on 01/26/06 12:00 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I had a great experience with my Cavalier. I love its design. I have made some really long trips recently and motor is still excellent. I highly recommend it.

Over 200K and still going!!!
By SandBoa on 12/16/05 16:30 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has been AWESOME to me. I bought this when I was a freshman in college in 1999. I put a TON of miles on it and it has literally never been in the shop other than for routine work like oil changes and brakes. This car still remains in my family to this day. It now has well over 200,000 miles on it and it still has never seen the inside of a shop!! I would recommend this car to anyone. The only reason why I bought a new truck was because it was a tight fit for me considering I'm 6'3", but I knew that when I was buying the car. If I was a smaller guy, I would probably still be driving this car to this date.

Fun and Reliable
By Christina on 09/22/05 23:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My Chevy Cavalier was my first car. I bought my car used and she ran great for all 3 years that I had her. The only reason I had to get rid of the car was because of a car accident. I was hit by a driver from behind who was probably going about 35 miles per hour, which also caused me to hit the car in front of me. In my accident she performed perfectly, my only injuries were from the airbags and I was able to walk out with no serious injuries. This was perfect for a first car, was fun to drive, and was dependable at the most crucial time. I would recommend this car to anyone for its style and reliability. I loved my Cavalier!!