1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Trusty Rusty
By luckyday on 01/30/12 12:05 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I had this car from 2004-2011 and only needed to have routine maintenance done on it....until the end. The clutch blew, had it fixed cheap by a friend, a few months later the exhaust fell off. At that point, I figured it would just nickle and dime me to death so I took it to a salvage yard. In the time that I had the vehicle though, it was a great little car.

Fun car - I was unlucky
By quakk on 05/01/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first car out of school. For a 4 cylinder, it was fast and fun, great in the Arizona mountains. The seats folded down to allow transport of a bike, hockey goals, etc. I enjoyed the car, but would have liked a bit more pep. I opted for the 5spd manual. After 2 years and 36k miles, the clutch went out. Could have been me, but I've been driving a manual since 1989 and have never burned out another clutch. Sounds like my experience is the exception rather than the rule.

Not a Ferrari, but under credited cars.
By chogan85 on 07/29/09 14:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

If your looking for a good first car for you teenager, do not dismiss this car despite GM's reliability and quality record. I am now 23 and looking for a newer used car but I have to stand up for the Cavalier, she's been an overall great little sporty car. With the 3spd auto, (some performance mods) respectable torque, decent stock suspension, the 2.2l 2200 engine may not pump out a lot of mind blowing horsepower, but it's been a very reliable engine. Acceleration could be a bit better for its class. Awesome gas mileage (*with* performance mods!) With a WAI, catback exhaust and performance header, I get 26 city and 31 highway. The interior isn't that bad, overall pretty basic and comfortable

Can't wait to get rid of it!
By Jon on 05/05/09 23:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 68,000 miles on it, and it was in OK condition. 4 years later I'm at 92,000 miles and I can't wait to get rid of it. I have massive oil leaks from several spots on the engine, my radiator hoses blew a few months ago and I too have headlight issues due to faulty wiring. Road/wind noise is unbearable, more so then the constant chatter of the plastic interior and rattling of the suspension. On cold and rainy days the engine tends to flood itself. ALL the seals leak in this car leading the interior and trunk to get wet. The entire electrical system in this car is horrible. Apart from the headlight problems, the electrical system tends to give out at high speeds.

Happens all at once
By Jeff on 05/03/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

My car has been fine no big problems. I had to have brakes and the air went out. I keep smelling gas so if everything starts to happen then the car is falling apart. Before the gas smell the car was great.

I love my car
By mandy on 02/26/09 16:31 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Purchased for $800 from a family member who needed $$, who can beat that?! Was wrecked before,don't know anything about the prior history, but it's been my baby. 28-33 mpg still! Replaced alternator & fixed break fluid leak shortly after purchase. Replaced motor at a little over 170K, 2 yrs ago, $900, cheaper than a new car. At 217K now & still rolling. Oil send unit went out a few months ago,replaced. Having a bit of off-and-on trouble w/the low beam lights(a wiring prob.) Having trouble locating the problem bc of course it doesn't happen when my mechanic has it! LOL No big since I don't drive at night much & if I do I just drive my other vehicle.

One of Chevy's best
By khoist on 04/27/08 09:44 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have the five speed model, and it's a blast to drive. Repairs are somewhat inexpensive, and It's dependable. Switching from my 1997 Taurus this car is more upgradeable

Good Car
By 1996 Chevy Cavalier on 02/05/08 09:27 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I really love my Chevy Cavalier. I have had it since 2000 and I am the third owner. I bought it at 56000 miles and it now has 219000 on it. I have only had regular maintance on it except for around 70000 I had to replace the head gasket which is normal for these cars.

Most fun inexpensive coupe you can get!
By Brian on 11/19/07 09:38 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought my Z24 for $3000 in Dec. 2006, and I have loved every minute of driving it. It has more horsepower and torque than any available new car less then $20,000. I get 30 mpg driving in city highway traffic to work. Takes corners very well. Seats are pretty well designed except maybe a little too firm. The plastic upholstry cracks pretty. Had to replace quite a few standard wear and tear parts after I bought it but no water pump yet. I couldn't ask for more from a $3000 car.

One amazing car
By jayman on 11/12/07 06:56 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I truthfuly just needed a car with good fuel mileage. I never thought I would sit down in a little 5 speed rocket that gets 34 miles to the gallon on the highway. I have had my Cavalier for about 2 weeks and I have not had any problems with it at all, I bought it for $1500 from an individual who took really good car of it. It's only got 100,780 miles and it runs amazing. I was really suprised when it out performed a new Scion Tc. I will keep this car till it dies, or until I die which ever comes first.

1 2 3 4 5 next »