Used 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible - Consumer Reviews

LS 2.2L 4-cyl. - (7 reviews )

It works for me
By Spec

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I have been happy with this car. There have not been any major problem inherent with it, just some minor things. For a 10 year old vehicle, it still performs rather well, getting 24-28 mpg around town and not exhibiting any problems on road trips.

The only persistent problem I've had with this car is the leaking around the windows. I took it back to the dealer a few times in the first few years for pressure testing and was told it met manufacturer standards. Apparently it rains harder here than in Michigan.

Awesome car
By mannyd98

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

One of my favorite cars. I owned one in '96 and regretted getting rid of it. When I saw this one, I had to buy it. Also very safe and reliable. We were just in an accident. A Ford F250 ran a stop sign and hit us. It totaled my Cavalier, but we were all alive

Fun to drive. There's nothing like it.

Love it!
By Amanda

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I love this car, yeah it may be a Cavalier but I think it's a great car. The car is fun to drive, drives well, and is great on gas. It's easy to get in and out of, the seats move easily and its more spacious then i thought it might have been. I honeslty enjoy this car more then the others I have had, so overall I believe it's a great car for a 21 year college girl!

I really like the ease of putting the top down. Mine's fully loaded so the tilt and cruise control are a big plus too. I also like that fact that the back seat folds down from the inside to hold larger items and to get into it from the inside of the car.

It could use an alarm and the top could go down a lot quicker too. The cd was not necessary, because I just took out the factory one and put in one i had bought, that was much better.

Avoid like the plague
By taken4aride

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

Fuel pump-August, 2002; $800. TRANSMISSION-January, 2003; $2300. Head Gasket-Febraury, 2003; $500. Total mileage of this car is only 68,000. This is, without a doubt, the absolute worst car that I have ever owned. The above list is only a small sample of the problems with this car. Many problems similar to other reviews (motor mounts, shoddy interior, etc).

Cargo net in trunk holds groceries very well. This was obviously where the engineers focused a lot of time and money, as the rest of the car is an engineering travesty.

Someone from GM with any sense of pride should come to my house ad pry the Chevy badge off this car, and then fall on his sword.

I LOVE MY CAR!
By Deeee

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible LS 2dr Convertible

I bought my car in the summer of 1999. With the exception of a couple of recalls, and a new ignition coil, I have had no problems with this car. I wouldn't recommend getting a white top, as it is impossible to get it clean. Other than that, I love it and I love the dealership I bought it from.

It is sooo fast for such a little car, no one ever believes it until they've been in it.

As with all cars, I just wish the prices would come down!