Used 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Fun car - I was unlucky
By quakk

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first car out of school. For a 4 cylinder, it was fast and fun, great in the Arizona mountains. The seats folded down to allow transport of a bike, hockey goals, etc. I enjoyed the car, but would have liked a bit more pep. I opted for the 5spd manual. After 2 years and 36k miles, the clutch went out. Could have been me, but I've been driving a manual since 1989 and have never burned out another clutch. Sounds like my experience is the exception rather than the rule.

Storage capacity, low profile, zippy engine.

Own up when you ship with faulty parts. Would have liked better stock sound system, but I've rarely been satisfied with stock audio.

I love my car
By mandy

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Purchased for $800 from a family member who needed $$, who can beat that?! Was wrecked before,don't know anything about the prior history, but it's been my baby. 28-33 mpg still! Replaced alternator & fixed break fluid leak shortly after purchase. Replaced motor at a little over 170K, 2 yrs ago, $900, cheaper than a new car. At 217K now & still rolling. Oil send unit went out a few months ago,replaced. Having a bit of off-and-on trouble w/the low beam lights(a wiring prob.) Having trouble locating the problem bc of course it doesn't happen when my mechanic has it! LOL No big since I don't drive at night much & if I do I just drive my other vehicle.

excellent MPG, small car, sporty look

dipstick for tranny

Most fun inexpensive coupe you can get!
By Brian

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought my Z24 for $3000 in Dec. 2006, and I have loved every minute of driving it. It has more horsepower and torque than any available new car less then $20,000. I get 30 mpg driving in city highway traffic to work. Takes corners very well. Seats are pretty well designed except maybe a little too firm. The plastic upholstry cracks pretty. Had to replace quite a few standard wear and tear parts after I bought it but no water pump yet. I couldn't ask for more from a $3000 car.

Mileage, torque, hp, and styling-- newer cars are so ugly!

Too late for this car!

One amazing car
By jayman

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

I truthfuly just needed a car with good fuel mileage. I never thought I would sit down in a little 5 speed rocket that gets 34 miles to the gallon on the highway. I have had my Cavalier for about 2 weeks and I have not had any problems with it at all, I bought it for $1500 from an individual who took really good car of it. It's only got 100,780 miles and it runs amazing. I was really suprised when it out performed a new Scion Tc. I will keep this car till it dies, or until I die which ever comes first.

A nice smooth ride, great on gas, beautuful exterior styling and an equally beautiful interior.

I haven't found anything I don't like.

Good 1st car out of college
By ddemania

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Coupe

Bought this car (Z24 Coupe) right out of college, and am now after 9-yrs moving on to bigger (mini-van) days. The car served me will through 9-yrs, some maintenance problems, especially in the last year which has pushed me to sell.

Z24 module has good acceleration, decent sound system, good gas milaege

Not a lot of room, it is definitely a small economy car