1996 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Wicked car - Cavalier 1996
By Kiprotich Arap-Ruto on 11/14/07 07:43 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I looked at a number of cars before buying my Cavalier 1996. Its price was great and condition pretty good. It drives very well. I had to replace the gas tank (got a used one for a good price and free labor). Overall a very good car.

Great car for the Money
By Dan79 on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

This car has been absolutely great for me, I bought it in ’98 with 20K and now it has over 160K. Thank God this car has practically never given me trouble, the only thing I remember changing was the AC compressor. The car doesn’t have great pick-up but what can you expect from a 4-cyln, but it flies I do 70-80 mph with no problem and no shaking. Its starting to show its age now, but I can't complain considering how it has performed till now. I don't know if I was bless, cause I've seen some pretty sh*tty reviews here and on Consumer Reports, but I'm extreamly happy with it.

Best Car I have owned
By shadow822 on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have been very pleased with it. Love the 2.4L engine. I am 5'9" and the driver's seat is fine for me. Gas mileage is about 21 mpg in town. I have looked at the new Chevrolets and the seats seem very hard and uncomfortable to me. The maintenance on this car has been very little. The main reason I would not buy another is the seating and they no longer offer the 2.4L engine.

Not a bad small car
By cavowner on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

bought this car about 5 years ago. it had 60,000 miles on it. When I traded it in for a larger vehicle it had a whopping 122000 miles. the only things I had to fix on the car were maintenance items such as tires, brakes, alignment, and muffler. I really have nothing BAD to say about the vehicle. I had to trade up to a larger vehicle and had to say goodbye to the cav.

Reliable car
By Donald stavish on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I have had no costly repairs to talk about

Who would have believed it?
By kmay on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1996 LS with 26k miles on it in September 1997. What a pleasant surprise this car has turned out to be! Still rolling at 126,800 miles. I get 35 mpg on long highway trips, 24 in the city. No special work - except a new alternator and starter last year. The oil light has been on for 2.5 years, but 6 different mechanics have said there is no leak - it's just the sensor. Paint has held up - no chips, no dents.

LOVE IT!
By Jeanine on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 15,000 on it. In one year I put over 24,000 on it. It still ran beautifully. I had no "major" problems. The plastic did start to crack and make little peices fall off like the seat belt cover. However this is a small price to pay for the relability and the hassle free ownership of the car. I just totaled the car by rear-ending someone going 65mph. I have to say if it weren't for the air bags and the strudyness of the car, I would have a lot more than bruises on my body. I'd reccommend this car to anyone, in fact I just bought a 97!

96 cav
By 96chevy on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Just getting rid of this car after over 103,000 miles due to a blown gasket. Only other significant repair was air conditioning system around 75,000 miles. It was a reliable, affordable car.

7 years and counting...
By iowadoc on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

Bought it new and now have 133000 miles. Only one significant repair (just off warranty). I just did my first tune up! Runs like a tank, reasonably comfortable, handles very well, fun to drive. I plan on going 200,000 with it. On the highway I get about 33 mpg or better. The engine will still be running when the body falls off. I've owned at least 10 cars and this is my favorite.

Good 1st car. dont fall in luv too quick
By ewest on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan

i bought my cavy in 96 and was in love wit the looks. the dealership also told me it was very safe with the "steel cage" and all--5*'s. but after i bought it i read on edmunds and other sites that the safety was iffy at best. i havent had many problems with it outside of the faulty circuitry that makes my "check engine" light stay on all the time. i wouldnt recommend it to anyone other than a teen as a first car. but you should DEFINITELY upgrade the engine and stereo system.